PSN shut down indefinitely following recent attack

Started by nintendodork, April 26, 2011, 07:17:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nintendodork

I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

punkr13

Ya this thing is crazy man, can you imagine if ppl get affected by this with personal info/etc. Lawsuits can happen and they can lose a lot more money.
Life is but a dream.....

NintendoKing

April 27, 2011, 03:43:13 am #2 Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:57:04 am by The Uninvited Gremlin
In 2007 a hacker did the same thing to XBOX live, the stole everyone's info and also PSN will return... Read the article better.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131

During that event they took XBOX live offline for 3 weeks, people did the same complaining and people said 360 would never see the internet again.

punkr13

It has to come back and hopefully better.
The only thing that bugged me as a ps3 user is that they where quiet with what was going on.

Its like a stock broker not telling you how your stock is doing and that you could possibly lose money (in this case is personal info and cc info, so it's worst lol)

Plus online gaming is now a huge draw for gaming now, story mode is great and all but, a good amount of ppl love the interaction you can get online ( co-op, vs, mmo etc...)

I guessing another week down.
Life is but a dream.....

petik1

Even when their network is down, I still have PS3 fanboys telling me that I am " only saying that stuff because i cant afford the ps3".  That stuff being something to the effect of "PSN is down, have fun playing your new map packs by yourself."  These are the same people who buy macs to show their superiority.

NintendoKing

I love my PS3, but honestly 360 and PS3 are pretty much the same graphic-wise and such... you can even get third-party controllers for both consoles that clone the other console. I have a clone 360 controller by Power A for my PS3, all my friends see it and say wheres your 360 then I amaze them by using it on a PS3.

I hate stupid console wars, the only console that truly sucks and doesnt belong in this gaming generation is Wii. I admit both 360 and PS3 have their own specific console only games but neither of them are really better then the other.

nensondubois

I don't even own a PS3... this attack from lack of security doesn't convince me further to buy one. :octorok:

NintendoKing

@nensondubois - If that is all it takes, then you definitely do not need 360 or PS3 because both systems had the same occurrence atleast once.

nensondubois

I don't own a 360 either. Sony's recent moves made me hate them also.

nintendodork

April 29, 2011, 11:15:02 pm #9 Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:08:58 pm by nintendodork
Sony made you hate Microsoft? Why's that?

Post Merge: May 01, 2011, 09:08:14 pm

Edit: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224164
Quote from: PhyeirPSN hackers DEFINITELY have CC info (or at LEAST were able to rack up high PSN charges).  I know because I just checked my account info and over $300 in charges I didn't make on 4/19 are on there. Check your shit people.
[...]
Maybe they don't have the info specifically, but given it's $371 charged to Sony Electronic, I feel safe saying my card was at least charged in a shitload of PSn stuff, if not on the SOny site or something else. Either way, I'm getting a new card NOW.
This really sucks.  I'd advise anyone on here to do the same (check your transactions, that is).
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

nensondubois

Quote from: nintendodork on April 29, 2011, 11:15:02 pm
Sony made you hate Microsoft? Why's that?

Post Merge: May 01, 2011, 09:08:14 pm

Edit: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224164
Quote from: PhyeirPSN hackers DEFINITELY have CC info (or at LEAST were able to rack up high PSN charges).  I know because I just checked my account info and over $300 in charges I didn't make on 4/19 are on there. Check your shit people.
[...]
Maybe they don't have the info specifically, but given it's $371 charged to Sony Electronic, I feel safe saying my card was at least charged in a shitload of PSn stuff, if not on the SOny site or something else. Either way, I'm getting a new card NOW.
This really sucks.  I'd advise anyone on here to do the same (check your transactions, that is).

Um... what? I just don't feel like buying either console or any new one every few years. Besides, I'd rather buy games for system that I enjoy and collect for. I don't like Microsoft for other reasons, particularly Bing for not respecting general privacy rights when searching *CoughdetectingyourlocationviayourIPaddressCough*. Microsoft has a gaming division, which I feel completely differently about but I still would rather buy games for the older and better consoles like Game Boy, Super Nintendo Sega Genesis (32x and CD) and Famicom.

nintendodork

I was quoting a member from another forum saying that someone had used his credit card to buy stuff from Sony without his consent. And Google does the same thing as Bing with your IP address. Anyone who has your IP address can determine your location to a point.

nensondubois

Quote from: nintendodork on May 02, 2011, 04:00:32 pm
I was quoting a member from another forum saying that someone had used his credit card to buy stuff from Sony without his consent. And Google does the same thing as Bing with your IP address. Anyone who has your IP address can determine your location to a point.

I know. That's why I always use http://startingpage.com/ as my search engine and well over 40 different proxies. I'm using a proxy now.

nintendodork

In my opinion, that is complete overkill.  There are plenty of people who don't use proxies (the staff on this website for example), and nothing bad ever happens to them.

UglyJoe

It's not necessarily a matter of "bad things" happening to you.  It's just a privacy issue.  I don't mind, personally, that websites know my IP address and that some of them form a profile of me without me giving them any direct information.  It's a big deal to some people, though.

I don't know that giving a proxy your IP (and the URL of the site you want to visit) is any better than giving it indirectly to a search engine, though.