Writing Disks With Twin Famicom

Started by yeahhhh, September 01, 2015, 10:47:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yeahhhh

Does anyone have a good way of writing to disks using the twin famicom? I would rather not mod the system itself and I dont have an old pc for fds loader or anything...

P

September 01, 2015, 11:07:14 am #1 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:56:50 pm by P
FDSloader is obsolete now when there are FDSloadersaver, DQC (both based on FDSloader) etc and Loopy's FDSStick that doesn't even need a PC connected when running it. Arkanix said you could make this cable so shouldn't need to mod the console.

yeahhhh

ive heard of the fds stick is it possible to write games from it to a disk though?

P

Yeah but you need to make the cable or have someone make it for you. It's the same for all the FDSloadr variants too though. Except maybe DQC, I think you can buy it with the cable.

yeahhhh

thank you for your help! Instead of using the rear ports like Arkanix couldnt you make a cable for the ram adapter port on the side with a snes av cable? Im not sure if the port connects to the internal disk system or if it actually goes to the internal ram adapter

Arkanix38

The port on the side of the Twin is the RAM expansion port and is not a direct pass-through from the RAM adapter (it is the same as the unused port on the FDS RAM adapter). P is right, if you get a QDC you can pay extra for the Twin Famicom cables to plug into the jumper ports in the rear of the console.

Post Merge: September 01, 2015, 08:22:05 pm

Also I recommend grabbing a set of calipers and aligning your drive head if you are going to write disks, get the head spacing between 10.68 and 10.72 mm and you should have no issues.

yeahhhh

okay, cool. Sorry about all the questions but should I worry about the drive speed being exact too and invest in a test disk?
Also most Ive seen on the QDC is in japanese, do you have a way you use it to write disks?

Arkanix38

The program the seller provides on his website is in English and is pretty easy to navigate. As for your drive speed, it should be fine as long as you can read disks already. The head alignment is only an issue if you can't read normal disks or if you plan to copy disks for another machine. For instance, I have aligned my FDS and my Twin Fami to both be 10.70mm so that I can have my FDS connected to my PC at all times and play the games on my Twin Fami connected to the TV without loading issues.

yeahhhh

September 02, 2015, 10:32:39 am #8 Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:49:33 am by yeahhhh
do you not need the disk system write mod to write with it?

Post Merge: September 02, 2015, 10:49:33 am

also where could i pick one up?

Arkanix38

Your FDS or Twin Fami need to be write modded IF they dont have the 7201 chip (read here) and your FDS will need to be modded if the power board has write protection (read here). All disk writers require a modded or early drive mechanism.

As for where to acquire a QCD, email this guy. He speaks fairly decent English and is great to deal with. My transaction with him was smooth and the postage was amazingly fast (was air post I think, 3 days from Japan to Australia!).

Hope this helps,

Ark

yeahhhh

September 02, 2015, 05:39:42 pm #10 Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:15:14 am by yeahhhh
thank you so much for your help!

jensma

This is funny, I'm about to buy that adapter too. Seems like Arkanix38 is quite a good promoter  :)