Twin Famicom sounds... Buzzed?

Started by TurtleKirby1234, May 07, 2024, 03:11:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtleKirby1234

I recently managed to get a Twin Famicom (the second model, with the turbo buttons), but the sound seems "buzzy". It's not the buzzing that always shows up on pretty much everything, but the sound itself sounds corrupted and off. I tried using one of my newer av cables, but it still sounds corrupted. Is there a possible explanation as to why this happens, and is there a solution?
How do I write a signature again?

Skawo

The resistive strip and the contacts on the microphone volume slider in the Player 2 controller might need a really thorough cleaning with IPA.

Unless it's not that kind of buzzing. Upload a sample?

TurtleKirby1234

Quote from: Skawo on May 07, 2024, 11:11:15 amThe resistive strip and the contacts on the microphone volume slider in the Player 2 controller might need a really thorough cleaning with IPA.

Unless it's not that kind of buzzing. Upload a sample?
After turning off the microphone, it actually stopped making the noise!! It seems unlikely that I'll ever use the microphone (only a handful of games use it, usually for some kind of easter egg), so it should be fine for now.
How do I write a signature again?

P

The slide-potentiometer can get oxidized to the point that turning it down won't work. If that happens (easiest way to tell is if the buzzing stops when unplugging controller 2) you may need to scrub off the oxidation from the metal parts. It can be done with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol, but it may need a very good scrubbing. This works with other oxidized parts like the cartridge connector as well, if you have connection problems with games.