The Nintendo NX Thread - The Nintendo Switch Revealed!

Started by L___E___T, October 20, 2016, 05:07:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

I've been planning to buy it since launch but have been delayed for various reasons. I'm currently in the middle of a move to Japan for a job there so I'll have to wait until I'm settled. I don't want to buy a lot of stuff to bring there.

I plan to get a Switch with neon blue/red controllers, Pro Controller, some kind of pouch and screen protector because of the supposedly easy to scratch screen. Also possibly the neon green/pink joy-con set as extra because I like green, and maybe the charge grip at some point.

I'm not sure how big of an SD card I should get though. At first I thought 32 GB internal storage memory was very large, but I noticed that modern games are extremely large nowdays. All the free and non-free download programs and games I have on my 3DS is starting to fill up my SD. But SD cards are getting expensive at bigger sizes. A 512 GB SDXC is like half the price of the Switch and even a 256 GB is like $70 here (hopefully cheaper in Japan though). Maybe I'll just start with 256 GB and upgrade later if I need to.

For cartridge games I plan to get 1 2 Switch, Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Odyssey.
For download games I'm not sure but I have my eyes on VOEZ and FUZE Studio.

But I also have to get a Wii U some time soon, and then there's all those Amiibos. Oh well...

Yelir

Quote from: P on October 29, 2017, 07:33:27 am
I'm not sure how big of an SD card I should get though. At first I thought 32 GB internal storage memory was very large, but I noticed that modern games are extremely large nowdays. All the free and non-free download programs and games I have on my 3DS is starting to fill up my SD. But SD cards are getting expensive at bigger sizes. A 512 GB SDXC is like half the price of the Switch and even a 256 GB is like $70 here (hopefully cheaper in Japan though). Maybe I'll just start with 256 GB and upgrade later if I need to.

I have yet to snag a SDXC card, but you'd probably be best to do at least 128GB to start. The internal drive is 32gb (I think ~26.1gb of useable space). I've also heard that newer games such as NBA 2k18 take up as much as 30gb of memory from the system.

In regards to the latter half of your message, be careful with memory cards depending on where you choose to buy them! The largest capacity card to date is a SanDisk 400GB, so anything at higher storage doesn't exist, is a fake card, etc.  :crazy:

P

Yeah I heard there are some really large games out there, I'll definitely not buy the digital version of any game available on cartridge. I'll use the storage memory strictly for download-only games, apps and other data. I have more physical space than virtual.
And if the Switch offers as many free downloads as the 3DS does, it's going to fill the SD card quickly.

I understand that if they had added more internal flash it would probably have become too expensive to sell. It probably makes the most sense to make the storage size user-choosable via SD cards. But I don't like that save files are confined to the 32 GB internal flash. I guess they are afraid of hacking exploits or something.

Thanks for the warning! I'll be careful.

P

Quote from: Yelir on October 29, 2017, 06:10:36 pm
be careful with memory cards depending on where you choose to buy them! The largest capacity card to date is a SanDisk 400GB, so anything at higher storage doesn't exist, is a fake card, etc.  :crazy:

Oh I noticed the Switch is using micro SD cards (despite being bigger than the 3DS which is using normal SD), I was looking on normal sized SD cards. Biggest micro SDXC is 400 GB although the SDXC format technically allows up to 2 TB. Good to keep in mind.

P

Also I was wrong about the prices. The 128 GB are like $70 and 256 GB are half a Switch. 512 GB is the price of a full Switch!
I think I'll settle with a 128 GB after all, unless SD cards are crazily cheap in Japan or something. It'll only be used for download exclusives, DLC and other data as said.

L___E___T

I think there are going to be a lot of download exclusives on Switch just as a heads up, and they will be large in size too if they are ports..

The cartridges seem expensive for publishers to buy, even before they try and sell them as full games.  I think this is why SF2 costs a lot.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Ah yeah Nintendo has always made a lot of money on monopolizing cartridge manufacturing for their systems ever since the NES and late Famicom era.
Hopefully 128 GB will be enough, at least until SD card prices have lowered further.

Because storage memory manufacturers always "lie" 128 is probably really around 120 GB though.

UglyJoe

I have read that you can use multiple SD cards.  You need to completely power down in order to (safely) swap the cards, but it's possible.  I'd rather snag a few 32gb or 64gb cards during sales than spend a bunch on some monster card.

P

It's an idea. I think that's technically possible on the 3DS too but would be really inconvenient as the SD card slot isn't so quick to open (the New 3DS apparently even requires a screw driver!) and you are limited on how you can merge files from both cards, it's really not recommended on the 3DS.

But on the Switch it looks like you just open the kickstand and push the SD card out, and according to that article it seems you can redownload games on your other card (save data is always present on the internal 32 GB memory) so you can have the same games on two cards at once?

P

I finally bought a Switch! :D

I got the Switch before any games arrived (besides 1-2 Switch which has almost zero singleplayer content) so I bought Arcade Archives Mario Bros from eShop to have something to play and to see how the new "Virtual Console" is on the Switch. It's a bit more than a standard VC game though as it has several modes. Original Mode is launching the (supposedly) original arcade ROM in the emulator, although I think the score can be uploaded to internet hi-score lists. You need to insert credits manually and all like in Mame. Then there are two more modes that changes the rules: Hi Score Mode and Caravan Mode. I only tried these very briefly. Caravan Mode only let's you play for a limited time so you have to try to get a high score early.

I'm missing all the preinstalled content that the 3DS have that I could play before my games arrived. The Switch has even less preinstalled stuff then the Wii had.

So then Zelda Collector's Edition arrived and I played the first two dungeons so far. It is kind of how I expected it from what I heard about it. It's fun to just run around and explore things, and the difficulty so far is finally pretty good unlike all other Zelda games after Link's Awakening. I mean that you finally have to be careful to not get killed by enemies again. Also falling from a high height often kills you instead of draining a fourth of a heart like in Ocarina.

I also downloaded Karaoke Joysound but the headset port doesn't seem to be supported as a microphone (not even 100% sure that it is a headset port like on the 3DS). Seems I need to get a Wii U microphone or other USB microphone.

I bought the Pro Controller as well, and while it's the most comfortable controller option I think Zelda plays totally fine with the Joy-con set as well. The grip felt a bit slim at first but it's not really anything that you think about when playing a game. I guess the Pro Controller is to be preferred in 2D games (Mario Bros plays fine with the Joy-con though), but now it's really just an extra controller to me.

The one thing I don't like about the Switch so far is that it's tedious to turn it off. You have to hold the power button 5 seconds to access a special menu and then find the shutdown option hidden under a second set of options. I guess it's meant that it should always be in sleep mode, so much for saving energy.

Bry89

Even though I never cared for Nintendo's latest consoles since I last had a Gameboy Advance (and yes, it was that long ago), I wonder if the Switch is any good or better, doing a better performance than the WiiU in terms of sales and that, where I heard that was a major flop. It's not that I'd ever get one as my days of gaming are long gone, I'm only curious about it in general. Besides, while there may be good titles here and there, there's still that saccharine casual crap that you see on the TV ads.
https://mindsconnect.jcink.net
Tech-oriented forum. Gamers old and new are welcome.

adori_12

I think it's time to do some necroposting, since after numerous rumors, a new Switch revision, the Nintendo Switch Lite, has just been revealed!  ;D
Soon there will surely be updates and new information about this new system but for now, what are your thoughts on it?
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

L___E___T

I was hoping for a Pro and a Lite.  I was convinced they would announce the Lite first as it's the easiest to sell and most people play in handheld mode.  I like that it has a D-pad, but I don't like the colours.  So I won't get one.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

adori_12

I personally like the design and the addition of a D-Pad, but I'm not a big fan of losing TV connectivity, so that you're stuck on that small screen. I had been thinking on saving enough money for getting a Switch, but even after seeing this I honestly still prefer the original model.
The price point however seems a little bit tempting, so there are probably still lots of people who are buying this.
And yeah I think you shouldn't get one if you already have the original model, it's clearly intended to be a cheaper, alternative way of playing, not a replacement.
By the way is there really a reason to release a Switch Pro so soon? I mean it's not like the Switch is really underpowered.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

boye

I'm planning to get a Switch Lite, even though I have a Switch, mainly because I use my Switch as more of a handheld, and I could use a more portable Switch, and the actual D-Pad is a nice touch, even though I mainly use the analog stick for 2D games (Yes, I can hear the purists gasping.), The three colors are very odd, even with the context that this is geared more to younger audiences. (I'm personally picking turquoise.) Also, I've barely played 1-2 Switch or Nintendo Labo, so the removal of some of the Joy-Con features probably won't be an issue, except for singleplayer Super Mario Party, since it requires a single Joy-Con atm, no matter the way you play, However, this could be fixed with an update. Now I'm left with one (probably dumb) question, which is: Does the Switch Mini just have normal, non-HD rumble, or is rumble ditched altogether? Anyways, I apologize in advance if this reply turns out to be inconsequential and/or useless.
P.S. Should the Switch Lite stuff be it's own thread?
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.