[SOLVED] Glitched image after lifting PPU pin 21

Started by ramon.greim, April 29, 2024, 07:05:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ramon.greim

April 29, 2024, 07:05:58 am Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 08:48:36 am by ramon.greim
Hey everybody, I ve bought my first Famicom CPU 07 , and I was able to do the AV mod from https://famicomania.net/famav.html , everything was working fine, the mod was looking good, but after I ve tried to get rid of jailbars, by lifting pin 21 and soldering straight to resistor 'B'leg I ve got this glitched images as you can see in the pictures. I was so careful by doing the mod and lifting the pin 21 I have no idea what I did wrong. I ve tried to solder the pin 21 back, and also the resistor. checked and changed the cartridge and all possibilities but still get this glitches , the game is running fine but with this image is unplayable, any idea how to fix that?

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Skawo

Send some pictures of your work around the PPU - both sides of board.

ramon.greim

Hi, unfortunately I ve undone all the mods, but I ve a pic from yesterday with the last mod I did (lifting pin 21) before turning on and getting the scrambled graphics. Also have some pictures from last week with the working AV mod.

here you can see the pin 21 lift mod soldered on B leg, I soldered the transistor keeping the same position, so it`s not reversed. I ve left the iron I ve soldered suspense so it was not touching the board at all.

And this is the AV MOD I did last week. I know it looks awkward but I ve isolated the components from the mod after I finished testing.

And a pic from it working just fine. Before the pin 21 thing.

It was working until I lift the pin 21 and soldered it to B. then I turned the console on and saw the scrambled images. I ve tried to solder it back to place, as it was , I ve tried to remove the AV mod. but still got nothing. Do I need to replace the ppu?

Skawo

Was this part of the motherboard cut on purpose? I don't think any AV mod calls for these traces to be cut:

Those go to the PPU and would cause issues like shown if broken. Check for continuity and add a bodge wire if any are broken.

ramon.greim

April 29, 2024, 02:23:09 pm #4 Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:50:48 pm by ramon.greim
Omg. You are right, sorry those were accidental. I didn't have the correct tool to lift the pint and it ended up like this. It doesn't seem to be deep enough to cut a trail but I ve checked continuity and it seems that one of the trails are not conected. I will try to re-link them tomorrow and I come back with some news. (I hope good ones)

ramon.greim

Quote from: Skawo on April 29, 2024, 01:31:30 pmWas this part of the motherboard cut on purpose? I don't think any AV mod calls for these traces to be cut:

Those go to the PPU and would cause issues like shown if broken. Check for continuity and add a bodge wire if any are broken.
Thank you so much ! I was able to fix it after I rebuilt a broken trail!