Famicom World

Family Computer => Technical & Repair Assistance => Topic started by: k4z3pHr34k on November 17, 2012, 11:54:43 pm

Title: Flashing, vertical bar on screen
Post by: k4z3pHr34k on November 17, 2012, 11:54:43 pm
Hi everyone!

My name's Dennis and I'm a new face on your great forum!  ;D

I recently bought a famicom AV in a retro game store.

Everything is working fine, except of some flickering, vertical bar on screen.
The bar is only visible when the screen shows black color. If it's a colorful scene, the bar is gone.

Is there anything i can do to get rid of it?

You find an image of the problem as an attachment.

Thanks for your support!
Title: Re: Flashing, vertical bar on screen
Post by: 80sFREAK on November 18, 2012, 02:17:05 am
Why do you ask here? Ask in the place, where you paid for thing.
Title: Re: Flashing, vertical bar on screen
Post by: P on November 18, 2012, 03:41:13 am
Hello Dennis! Don't be discouraged by that first post. It's just 80sFEAK's way of saying: "Hello and welcome to the forum!". ;)

Of course you can try to ask here since it could be a trivial matter, but it's good if you try to resolve it with the seller before you do anything like open it and start tinkering with it of course.

Is the problem the same for all games that has a black background or just one game? Does the cartridge edge connector on the console or the pins on the cartridge look dirty or damaged? Does the video cable or the AV-ports look damaged? These are the first things I can think of that you should check.
Title: Re: Flashing, vertical bar on screen
Post by: k4z3pHr34k on November 18, 2012, 06:58:08 am
Thanks for the warm welcome  ;) And your suggestions.

Same problem with all of my 10 catridges. I also tested three AV cables.

My next best guess would be a problem with the console's 60 pin connector.

Maybe a little bit of cleaning can help?!

The console was a real bargain- and btw no warranty for import consoles in germany.

Title: Re: Flashing, vertical bar on screen
Post by: 2A03 on November 18, 2012, 11:13:56 am
What kind of TV are you using? Newer TVs tend to have issues with older game consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with your Fami.
Title: Re: Flashing, vertical bar on screen
Post by: 80sFREAK on November 18, 2012, 03:10:17 pm
Quote from: k4z3pHr34k on November 18, 2012, 06:58:08 am
Thanks for the warm welcome  ;) And your suggestions.

Same problem with all of my 10 catridges. I also tested three AV cables.

My next best guess would be a problem with the console's 60 pin connector.

Maybe a little bit of cleaning can help?!

The console was a real bargain- and btw no warranty for import consoles in germany.


you are welcome :)
I don't think is console itself. Do you have another TV to try? Just go to your local pawn shop and pick 14" CRT Trinitron.
Title: Re: Flashing, vertical bar on screen
Post by: k4z3pHr34k on November 18, 2012, 11:50:35 pm
I'm using a Samsung flatscreen TV. I will test the famicom on a CRT and post my results.

Post Merge: November 20, 2012, 10:18:25 pm

After I tried the Famicom on several TVs, the bar is gone.

You were right. There seems to be a problem with my Samsung flatscreen.

Thanks for your support!