Famicom World

Misc. => Other Gaming => Topic started by: zmaster18 on June 24, 2019, 05:31:14 am

Title: Famicom/NES games in Japanese Animal Crossing / Doubustu no Mori +
Post by: zmaster18 on June 24, 2019, 05:31:14 am
Everybody remembers the NES games in Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, but did you know that the Japanese version had awesome little Famicoms instead?

I made this town only a few years ago and have already played a lot... definitely over 100 hours. This game is totally helping me learn Japanese vocabulary. I'm able to read hiragana and katakana and there are tons of texts to practice with in this game. I still don't know enough verbs so I can't really understand the dialogues with the animals. I can read letters and item names pretty good though!


Here's my cozy little Famicom room. I'm quite the collector :P

(https://i.redd.it/8lfbkubmzi331.png)

(https://i.redd.it/3o53d2drzi331.png)



The details are pretty decent, but look at Pinball, the yellow cartridge. It looks different than how it looks in real life. And see that red cartridge game in front? That's Donkey Kong 3. They could have made it the dark red pulseline design...



The NES games in AC actually got me into retro gaming in general. I first played AC when I was 8 and I absolutely loved playing the NES games, especially Clu Clu Land, Golf, Pinball, Ice Climber, Excitebike, etc! This game also got me into pixel art. Even as a kid, I learned/figured out what anti-aliasing was. If you hadn't noticed, I designed the wooden flooring pattern and the Gamecube logo shirt I'm wearing.

Let me know what you think and what your favorite NES games were in Animal Crossing :)
Title: Re: Famicom/NES games in Japanese Animal Crossing / Doubustu no Mori +
Post by: Yelir on June 24, 2019, 09:51:34 am
Do you have the full setup of games? I had no idea the JP version did a Famicom with the FDS and RAM adapter! :o

I can get absolutely lost in the N64/GC versions, it's too bad none of the sequels ever captured the feel of the original. I'm still hoping the Switch version will redeem itself.
Title: Re: Famicom/NES games in Japanese Animal Crossing / Doubustu no Mori +
Post by: nensondubois on June 24, 2019, 04:36:40 pm
Quickly writing to illustrate a few key points of interest:

I played No Mori e+ quite a bit because I can read about 80 per cent of Japanese text as of studying it for a few years. I have been working with the developer testing the emulator to run custom roms and it works really well (better than the NES / Famicom Mini emulators for some odd reason Nintendo used a different emulator). Most games will work but a very small amount of games have graphical glitches, mostly with status bars and Sim City does not save because of the addressing issues not fully supported by the MMC5 mapper.

Nintendo did have plans to add more games in e+ but they instead based the NES consoles that the western version used. Nintendo broke FDS compatibility when porting No Mori to the Gamecube after the regular + Japanese version and is theoretically possible with effort to play FDS games in Animal Crossing.
Title: Re: Famicom/NES games in Japanese Animal Crossing / Doubustu no Mori +
Post by: zmaster18 on June 26, 2019, 04:47:22 am
Quote from: Yelir on June 24, 2019, 09:51:34 am
Do you have the full setup of games? I had no idea the JP version did a Famicom with the FDS and RAM adapter! :o

I can get absolutely lost in the N64/GC versions, it's too bad none of the sequels ever captured the feel of the original. I'm still hoping the Switch version will redeem itself.

So there are 19 playable NES/Famicom games in DnM+/AC/DnMe+. I don't have them all but I will be working on it!

DnM+ has 2 exclusive games: Mahjong and Gomokunarabe. They were replaced with Soccer and Excitebike in Animal Crossing and DnMe+.

The Legend of Zelda in this version is the FDS version, complete with the FM sound. I'm looking forward to that.

Also Clu Clu Land D is easily obtained in this version and is orderable from the catalog. In AC, it's really hard to get and requires customized passwords. Clu Clu Land D is an excellent game, I recommend it to anyone who wants something new/rare on an FDS disk.

High Scores actually save automatically for all games, and I love that feature. Now every time I play Golf or Pinball, I try my hardest to beat my previous score. I'm quite proud of my work so far :P
Title: Re: Famicom/NES games in Japanese Animal Crossing / Doubustu no Mori +
Post by: P on June 28, 2019, 03:00:28 pm
I've only played the original Doubutsu no Mori for the 64 and the DS game. I really loved collecting fish and bugs. I have a Japanese Gamecube so I want to play Doubutsu no Mori+ or e+ someday though. I didn't understand which version are you playing Zmaster? Does the e+ version have the FDS version of games or not? And what do everyone here think is best of + and e+?

I also have the e-Reader+ but no cards (except the American Mario Party e cards), they are just too expensive and too many. I can print the dot codes but it requires non-glossy photo papers which are not that cheap either.
Title: Re: Famicom/NES games in Japanese Animal Crossing / Doubustu no Mori +
Post by: zmaster18 on June 29, 2019, 05:17:57 am
Quote from: P on June 28, 2019, 03:00:28 pm
I've only played the original Doubutsu no Mori for the 64 and the DS game. I really loved collecting fish and bugs. I have a Japanese Gamecube so I want to play Doubutsu no Mori+ or e+ someday though. I didn't understand which version are you playing Zmaster? Does the e+ version have the FDS version of games or not? And what do everyone here think is best of + and e+?

I also have the e-Reader+ but no cards (except the American Mario Party e cards), they are just too expensive and too many. I can print the dot codes but it requires non-glossy photo papers which are not that cheap either.


So here's the thing: Doubutsu no Mori + has the Famicoms (along with many Japanese-styled desgin for furniture, buildings, etc). Animal Crossing/Doubutsu no Mori e+ has NES instead, as well as Western styled designs.

Although DnMe+ has more features, I decided to stick with DnM+ mainly because I prefer the Famicoms and like the Japanese designs. There are even some exclusive furniture in this version that was never seen again since, like the Japanese construction theme.

Once I'm done with DnM+, I will start another town in DnMe+. I recommend playing both! Just start with DnM+ then go to DnMe+. After all that, I will play DnM 64. That game is the most 'challenging' of the series, since there are no passwords. You must get every item the real way. I would like to try and complete my catalog as much as possible.

You should totally play this game, it's cheap and easy to get into. You don't have to fully read everything to get by. This game also does not connect with e-reader. You can actually find a list of passwords online for DnM+ that you can use to get most items.
Title: Re: Famicom/NES games in Japanese Animal Crossing / Doubustu no Mori +
Post by: P on June 29, 2019, 05:01:22 pm
I see, so e+ doesn't have the FDS versions of the games after all. If I only play one version I guess it will have to be DnM+. But all three Japanese versions of the game are dirt cheap (especially the two GC versions) because of the huge popularity of the game in Japan, so I might as well get all three of them. ;D

Quote from: zmaster18 on June 24, 2019, 05:31:14 am
The NES games in AC actually got me into retro gaming in general. I first played AC when I was 8 and I absolutely loved playing the NES games, especially Clu Clu Land, Golf, Pinball, Ice Climber, Excitebike, etc! This game also got me into pixel art. Even as a kid, I learned/figured out what anti-aliasing was. If you hadn't noticed, I designed the wooden flooring pattern and the Gamecube logo shirt I'm wearing.

It's nice to see that this retro thing Nintendo does with Doubutsu no Mori, Smash Bros, Virtual Console and similar things really works for keeping in touch with gaming history, and introducing these older games to younger players. It's easy to think that they are just easy money or a reason for companies to attack emulators and such.