Glitches/Easter Eggs

Started by nintendodork, February 17, 2009, 03:39:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nensondubois

I can't seem to find a sound test code for Epser Dream 2. Maybe it doesn't exist or it hasn't been discovered yet.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: lasersamurai on December 21, 2009, 07:41:01 am
Not sure if people know this but in Gyruss if you do the Konami code backwards you get 30 lives  :o So instead of Up, Up Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start you press B,A, Right, Left, Right, Left, Down, Down, Up, Up Start.

That's how I beat that game. ;D By the way, A, B, etc.

These require a GG:

Journey to Silius:
PESKGLGZ - Alternate "Death" Music
LENIOXIA - Alternate "Game Over" Music

3-D WorldRunner:

LAOEXPZA - Three times faster.
GAOEXPZA - Four time faster.
APOEXPZA - Sixteen times faster!!!!
AZOEXPZA - Thirty-two times faster!!!!!!!!

Batman:

NZUOAUPA - Moon Jump
PEOPPZ/PEOPPG/PEPPPG - Vertical Wall Jump
(Get to weird areas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzipOozaflU)

Double Dragon 3:

NYVVLZAE,NNVLOGPE - 255 Continues
AEKNPPIA - Have Jimmy Enabled

Super Mario Bros.:

EPOISS -  Blocks (& virtually anything else) disappear after stepping on the edge of them

Super Mario Bros. 2:

XEEPUZAG + IUEPSZAA + TEEPVZPA - Start on World 4-1 & 4-2 combined together

Super Mario Bros. 3:

KKKZSPIU - Debug
YEUZUGAA + ZTZOAS - New pipe level, after pressing A and entering the stage, hold right to enter the pipe.
LLLLLL - In 2-player "Mario Bros." it's only necessary to jump under the enemies while they're turned.

BonBon

Great easter egg here for splatterhouse for the famicom. Test Mode Press and hold the A and B Button, and Down on the second controller. Then reset the game and you will enter the test mode. Here you can view all of the characters and most of their animations. You can also listen to the sound fx and music. Another little trick is a strange one. Go to character 25, {the Japanese Princess}, and click on her thirty two times. Press once more and she will begin to remove her robe. Press once more, and she will be sitting with a bath towel around her and look embarrassed. Click on her another thirty four times and for the thirty fourth time, she will look more embarrassed.

S. P. Sour

Not programming glitches or easter eggs, but interesting things-
On my NES (yeah not the Famicom sorry), my SMB\Duck Hunt cart is kind of glitchy, resulting in some funny occurrences:
-One of the games starting immediately upon turning on the console instead of the selection screen
-SMB had a glitch where scenery and all objects would be colored funny and appeared a few blocks earlier than they should have and were sort of superimposed on the real thing

Also, occasionally dirty games on both systems have resulted in tiles being flipped around, meaning things like Mario with his legs above his head in Mario Bros.
[end post] [begin signature]
Proud owner of NES, Famicom, FDS, Super Famicom, Virtual Boy
Also I am Homestuck trash

P

All those glitches are probably caused by dirty pins and/or aged components on the board.

nerdynebraskan

Glitches and easter eggs could have easily been two separate threads here. But here's my all-time favorite glitch story:

I was in elementary school, and I'd rented Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES). Now, my NES console was already one of those unreliable "toasters" that had a high probability of producing the blinking screen of death. So when I got the TMNT booted up, I went ahead and played it even though the graphics were a little off. As I walked through the first level, there were foot soldiers tumbling down the staircase at me! I think this may have been the first time I played the game, because I didn't realize those were supposed to be the giant bowling-ball type things until I played it again with the graphics cleaned up. With the graphics glitched, the bowling-ball sprites must've been getting mixed up with the foot soldier sprites of the enemies in-stage.

To this day, I'm still somewhat disappointed that those weren't actually foot soldiers flying at me from the stairwell. Given how the foot soldiers were mass-produced, expendable robots, I still prefer to imagine a foot soldier standing at the top of the stairs and throwing his fellow automatons at you as projectiles.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

prince tomato

will that work on Street Blaster III /Master Fighter III/ Street Fighter III or any of those games derived from it?
because i don't have a copy of Master Fighter VI yet, but the gameplay looks very similar to the ones above.

Quote from: JC on March 09, 2009, 08:12:33 pm
Quote from: CaH4e3 on March 08, 2009, 09:38:13 pm
(Anyone know something that is not in that list?

How about Master Fighter VI'?

Left, Left, B, A, A, Left as the "Push Start" appears on the screen to become a *Super Fighter*

zxin

Last week I was playing Super Mario Bros. (NES, PAL) and I was on World 8-1, no idea how I did this but I jumped and landed one block into the ground, then I got killed by a goomba walking over my head.
Thanks for your time,<br />~zxin

fcgamer

I cannot get this to work on original hardware...anyone have a video of it in action?

Quote from: prince tomato on February 19, 2015, 04:15:52 am
will that work on Street Blaster III /Master Fighter III/ Street Fighter III or any of those games derived from it?
because i don't have a copy of Master Fighter VI yet, but the gameplay looks very similar to the ones above.

Quote from: JC on March 09, 2009, 08:12:33 pm
Quote from: CaH4e3 on March 08, 2009, 09:38:13 pm
(Anyone know something that is not in that list?

How about Master Fighter VI'?

Left, Left, B, A, A, Left as the "Push Start" appears on the screen to become a *Super Fighter*

Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

aitsu124

I found a new glitch in Super Mario USA that also works in Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2 NES. If you throw a POW block and pick up an enemy as it lands, you'll pick it up, but the enemy will fall offscreen. However, next time you enter a door, climb up a certain vine, or die, you'll be holding the enemy. This way, you can get an enemy into Subspace. There's another way to do it found by someone else, but it's more difficult. Info about this latter way here (scroll down): http://davidwonn.kontek.net/nes.html
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

adori_12

I think this qualifies as an Easter Egg: Is it just me, or does the Earth in Mario's Time Machine looks like a woman's face?  ???
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

xIceMan

No idea where you see a face of a woman there. Even with a lot of fantasy I can't see anything but the continents.

adori_12

I used to see only water and land as well, but given that I play this game a lot I started to pay attention to the background, and once I saw it I couldn't unsee it for sure. I marked the places where it makes it look like a face. Can you see it now?

Even if you still can't see it, look again and try to recognize the shape of any continent. You will notice there are no visible continents, which I think is odd: When you draw the Earth you also usually draw the continents or something that vaguely resembles them, but they aren't here at all. Or am I just going crazy?  :-\
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

UglyJoe

I can see it now, but easy to lose sight of it.  I tried to make it more obvious by mirroring it, but I ended up with two crying eyes and a bear face:

adori_12

I think it does make it more obvious now, but rather than two crying eyes I see two furious eyes, I mean, look,  you can even see it's frowning!