Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

"Hebi" means "snake".

"Makai" means "demon-world" and "mura" is village so it's something like the demon-world-village, which is also the meaning of Ghost 'n Goblins' Japanese title.
"Makaijima: Nanatsu no Shima Daibouken" means "Demon-world-island: The Great Adventure of the 7 Islands". "Shima" (island) typically becomes "-jima" when it is a suffix.
Red Arremer is on the front cover so I suppose this game is kinda a spinoff of the Makaimura series, or at least they threw in a cameo.

I guess "ちかつかぬ" is supposed to be "ちかづかぬ" (not get close). The suffix -nu is an older form of -nai, which is the usual modern negation-suffix.

ここには
まかいむらのたたかいで
にげだしたまものを、ふういんしてある
ちかづかぬほうがよい。

The demons that fled the battle of the demon-world-village are sealed here.
Better not go near it.

Google translate doesn't understand the context (or common sense) and is guessing very wildly here. "Lost gifts are buried" (instead of "fled demons are sealed") feels like a very farfetched guess. "Mamono" is "demon" or "monster" and "fuuin" is "seal", both are very common terms in fiction.

In this case it is better to remove the newline between the second and third lines to help google translate understand that these are part of the same sentence. It might also help to add the missing "。" (maru) character on the third line to end the sentence and hopefully get a better result.

どくろのしまはしにんのしまじゃ。いきてかんれんぞ
Skull island is the island of the dead. ?? ?? ??

"Dokuro" is indeed "skull", but "shi'nin" should be "corpse" not "crossbones".
I'm not sure if this sentence is missing something. I added a maru after the "ja" to make the first part make sense but I don't understand the second part.

The "ja" is an alternate way to say "da"/"dearu"/"desu"/"dearimasu" (the copular verb "is"/"are"/"am" in English) used in some dialects. Though in fiction it is almost exclusively used by old people, so I'm guessing an old person said this sentence.

I guess こぞつ should be こぞう which means something like kid or brat (literally "small monk").
The じまる is probably missing a は ("hajimaru" means "to begin"). Google translate seems to understand it anyway.

こぞう、あんしんするのはまだはやいぞ
おまえのじごくは、これからはじまるのだ
われらのぼすがおまえをまっている。
Kid, it's too early to relax.
Your hell begins from here.
Our boss is waiting for you.

Not sure why Google translate thinks "jigoku" (which literally means "hell") would mean "work", it does not. If the context was about work I guess it could be translated to "hell-like work" or something like that.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote"Hebi" means "snake".
Strange, I don't remember seeing any snakes on HEBI ISLAND, but on DOKURO ISLAND (which I just finished) I killed a bunch by rolling skulls on them. ???

QuoteRed Arremer is on the front cover so I suppose this game is kinda a spinoff of the Makaimura series, or at least they threw in a cameo.
I didn't know Red Arremer was on the cover. At least he's not visible on the cartridge. Seeing as there's also zombies and the cyclops, I think this is a crossover.

QuoteThe "ja" is an alternate way to say "da"/"dearu"/"desu"/"dearimasu" (the copular verb "is"/"are"/"am" in English) used in some dialects. Though in fiction it is almost exclusively used by old people, so I'm guessing an old person said this sentence.
I think it was. I forget. I'll try to write down the character who said the quote from now on. :-[

QuoteNot sure why Google translate thinks "jigoku" (which literally means "hell") would mean "work"
Some people would consider 'work' and 'hell' synonyms. :P

Well anyway, there's not much to bring to the table this time. Only one quote:
Quote from: Old Manどくろのしまへ わたるがよい
Cross to Skull Island? :-\ This was when I returned to the old guy on CUCK ISLAND who I believe said this earlier:
Quote from: Old Dude???どくろのしまにふるいほんあるいしい
'It seems there is an old book on SKULL ISLAND.' Speaking of which, he must mean this chart I just picked up:

P

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on October 09, 2023, 12:15:06 am
Quote"Hebi" means "snake".
Strange, I don't remember seeing any snakes on HEBI ISLAND, but on DOKURO ISLAND (which I just finished) I killed a bunch by rolling skulls on them. ???
Hebi can only mean snake AFAIK. Of course snakes are related to dragons and some demons may be draconic or serpentine. No I don't know that's kinda farfetched. :-[

QuoteRed Arremer is on the front cover so I suppose this game is kinda a spinoff of the Makaimura series, or at least they threw in a cameo.
I didn't know Red Arremer was on the cover. At least he's not visible on the cartridge. Seeing as there's also zombies and the cyclops, I think this is a crossover.
The cover image seems to be cropped on the cartridge label of the Famicom version. The box has the full picture though. A red demon is flying in the top-right corner above the ship.

QuoteNot sure why Google translate thinks "jigoku" (which literally means "hell") would mean "work"
Some people would consider 'work' and 'hell' synonyms. :P
;D

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on October 09, 2023, 12:15:06 amWell anyway, there's not much to bring to the table this time. Only one quote:
Quote from: Old Manどくろのしまへ わたるがよい
Cross to Skull Island? :-\
"Wataru" indeed means "cross over" like when crossing a road, railroad, a bridge, wading a river etc. I guess in this case it is cross the sea.
The last word "yoi" is an alternate form of "ii" which means "good". By saying "X ga yoi" he is saying that it will do you good if you do X, without trying to be pushy. In Japanese it is usually considered very rude to use imperatives even to friends, so you typically say "if you do this and that and it will be fine" instead of directly saying "do this and that".
The previous "X hou ga yoi" is similar and means "it is better (for your sake) if you do X".

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on October 09, 2023, 12:15:06 amThis was when I returned to the old guy on CUCK ISLAND who I believe said this earlier:
Quote from: Old Dude???どくろのしまにふるいほんあるいしい
'It seems there is an old book on SKULL ISLAND.' Speaking of which, he must mean this chart I just picked up:
らしい, but yeah that might be the book. It seems to decipher the strange writings you found earlier.

Jedi Master Baiter

Okay, just completed Ookami Island. This place was populated by pirates who now have arms and thus can throw barrels back at me. :( (I guess I should've seen this on the game's label artwork.) Also scorpions. :blinky: These quotes were all by old men. I'm not even going to attempt to translate them, and I feel like whatever Google Translate gave me is wrong:

Quote from: Old Guyぼうすは、びあどのなみだを もっている
Quote from: Old Fartないふのしまで、びあどのはかについて てがかりがつかめるだろう
Quote from: Geezerわかものよ、よくきくがよい
だいちがゆれるとき、ちずをみるのじゃ。

Apparently I have a map now (don't know how long I've had this, but it'd be much more useful if the islands were labeled. :upsetroll: ).

P

BTW "ookami" means wolf so I suppose you also met a lot of wolf enemies on that island of course. :)

"ぼうすは、びあどのなみだを もっている"
"Bousu has Beardo's tear."
I don't know if "Bousu" is a name or what. Or did you mean "bouzu"? That means (buddhist) monk, and there is also a sea monster called umibouzu (lit. "sea-monk") which has a bald head like a monk's tonsure.
I suppose Beardo's tear is some sort of jewel? I can imagine Google translate choking on that one.

"ないふのしまで、びあどのはかについて てがかりがつかめるだろう"
"You should be able to get hold of a clue regarding Beardo's grave on Knife Island."

"わかものよ、よくきくがよい
だいちがゆれるとき、ちずをみるのじゃ。"
"Young one, listen carefully, when the earth is trembling, look at the map."

These last two lines are crystal clear. Not sure what problems Google translate had.
Games like this are really filled with wise/crazy old men/geezers giving cryptic advice.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on October 15, 2023, 08:21:42 amBTW "ookami" means wolf so I suppose you also met a lot of wolf enemies on that island of course. :)
Nope. But there was a bear that shot fire. :fire:

Anyway, onto J.KNIFE ISLAND (now that I think about it, most of these islands [except MERMAID and DOKURO] don't feature their names: There were no cucks on CUCK ISLAND. Who knows? Maybe I'll see some semis jack-knifing on J.KNIFE ISLAND.)

Here are quotes:
Quote from: El Viejoまる とはふねのことじゃよ、
おわかいの、おまえさんはあくまとたたかうまかおそろしいことじゃ
Something about being good or bad at fighting Akumas? ???

Quote from: Illuminati Gateゆうきあるわかものよ、よくここまでたどりついたしかし、まだとびらかれぬ。
とびらをひらくには、わたしのなみだがひつようだ。
Not sure what's going on here, but I fear Capcom's pulling off a Prin Prick. Y'know, the ol' illusion room? Devisered by Satan? Gotta go back to the first island dauntlessly? Find some bracelet? Make rapid progress?

Quote from: 老人はかのことがしりたいのか
そんなことは、ものりすにでもきいてみな
I found this dude by complete accident trying to get off the island! Anyway, I don't know what he's trying to say. :-\

P

October 23, 2023, 08:48:15 am #2976 Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 08:53:27 am by P
Yeah the names seems more arbitrary, trying to fit a pirate theme rather than simply naming the islands after their features in the game. Or they just thought "Fire-shooting Bear Island" was too long.

I guess Cuck Island might be a misspelling of Cook Island or something.

まる とはふねのことじゃよ、
おわかいの、おまえさんはあくまとたたかうまかおそろしいことじゃ
The "まか" here is out of place, I guess it said something else? I tried it in google translate and it seems to think it is supposed to be "まいか" (whether or not) which I guess is why it gets the "either good or bad" thing, but it doesn't really make sense.

It could be something like this:
"Maru is a ship you see,
"young one, so you will fight with the demons, that's horrible."
Or perhaps the reverse of it ("mai" is also an old negation).

I suppose "Maru" (which means circle/round) refers to the titular pirate ship Higemaru from the arcade predecessor.
"Hige" means "beard".
BTW I looked up Beardo's name and the official romanization seems to be "Captain Beard". I guess he was the original captain of Higemaru.

ゆうきあるわかものよ、よくここまでたどりついたしかし、まだとびらかれぬ。
とびらをひらくには、わたしのなみだがひつようだ。
I guess "かれぬ" should be something else, probably "あけぬ" (can't open) or something similar.

Anyway:
"Oh brave young one, you finally came this far, but you still can not open the gate.
To open the gate, my tear is needed."

Supposing the gate is talking about Beard's tear, the gate has Beard's eye on it?

はかのことがしりたいのか
そんなことは、ものりすにでもきいてみな

This one's easy:
"So you want to know about the tomb?
Try asking the monolith about that or something."

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on October 23, 2023, 08:48:15 amYeah the names seems more arbitrary, trying to fit a pirate theme rather than simply naming the islands after their features in the game.
I never really thought of it that way. But then where does Ookami fit? You don't see many wolves in the ocean. ???

Quote from: P on October 23, 2023, 08:48:15 amOr they just thought "Fire-shooting Bear Island" was too long.
I made a mistake. It's a gorilla. It's FIRE KONG. :fire:

Quote from: P on October 23, 2023, 08:48:15 amI guess Cuck Island might be a misspelling of Cook Island or something.
All this time I thought it had something to do with chickens.

Anyway, I went back to CUCK ISLAND and decided to explore the areas I hadn't been to only to find another wall with strange writing and another old man:

Quote from: Another Old Guyびあどのたからをとるにはひとみをあけることだ
To receive Beardo's gift, you must open your eyes?

I Googled to see if any maps were available and found a guide on strategywiki which had maps (and explains the encrypted text! :o), and it seems I've already been everywhere I needed to be (thank God I don't have to do every island over again!! :'( ), except, of course, the rest of OOKAMI ISLAND, but I already knew that one. Did I forget to tell you I saw another boss there I couldn't fight yet? :-[  He looked like a pirate captain who shot a hook. Captain Hook? ??? Anyway, I killed him and received a tear.

Also, when I was on that island earlier, I found a monument that I threw barrels into and the world shook, and that's when I apparently opened a portal to hell or something? I'm mentioning this because I just realized that was apparently Beardo's tomb. :diskkun: It's all coming together now. ;D

P

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on October 31, 2023, 10:53:02 pm
Quote from: P on October 23, 2023, 08:48:15 amBut then where does Ookami fit? You don't see many wolves in the ocean. ???
I guess that's the problem, the wolves must have all drowned!

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on October 31, 2023, 10:53:02 pmI made a mistake. It's a gorilla. It's FIRE KONG. :fire:
Aha that makes sense.

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on October 31, 2023, 10:53:02 pmAnyway, I went back to CUCK ISLAND and decided to explore the areas I hadn't been to only to find another wall with strange writing and another old man:

Quote from: Another Old Guyびあどのたからをとるにはひとみをあけることだ
To receive Beardo's gift, you must open your eyes?
The sentence is basically correct but Google translate is once again misunderstanding due to lack of context. The text doesn't explicitly says whose eyes its talking about (Japanese can leave these things out if it's obvious by context) and Google just assume it is the listener's, but I suppose it is that gate with an eye on it's cryptically referring to.
"To get Beard's treasure, open the eye."

Jedi Master Baiter

November 04, 2023, 11:45:56 pm #2979 Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 11:34:45 pm by Jedi Master Baiter
Okay, finished the game. The last part was underwhelming. :upsetroll:

So when I got to the part where the door should've been, I instead was in a room with a statue (of Red Arremer? ??? ) and it was just a cutscene of Momotaru using the sword to destroy it. That's it! No final boss! This is Konami levels of disappointing. Is this because I had all the items or something? :-\ I think I need to find passwords where I'm missing things so I can see the different endings. :-\

Anyway, after that I see the door again, and whattamouthful!
Quote from: Door Doorゆうきあるわかものよ、よく、くりすたるをてにいれた。
このくりすたるは、ぼうすがもっていたはずかなしいおとこよ、ぼうすわがしそんでありながら、
あくじにみをほろぼすとはちあ、なかにはいるがよい、たからはおまえのものだ
Well done, brave young man, you have obtained the crystal.
This crystal is a strange man that Bousu had, and even though Bousu was dying,
If you destroy the abyss, go inside, the treasure is yours.

Originally, I put this :-[ :
Quote from: undefinedゆうきあるわかものよ、よく、くすたるをてにいれた。
Well done, brave young man, you took advantage of the crap.

When I got the treasure:
Quote from: undefinedゆうきあるわかものよ、おめでとうあなたのてにいれた、たからで
しまのひとびとは、ふたたびへいわにくらせるだろう
またひとう、うみのでんせつがうまれたのだ
Happy little thing, congratulations, my treasure is here for you.
The people of the island will be forced to live in rocky waters once again.
Once again, Umino Densetsu was born.

Another thing to note, on the ending credits, a giant heart (like a beating heart :( ) was shown on Dokuro Island. Am I supposed to do something with this?

Edit: Apparently getting the sword avoids this boss fight entirely. :upsetroll: Luckily GameFAQs has passwords for all the endings (Courtesy of ReyVGM [Seriously! What HASN'T this guy played?!].), and the endings are determined by the crystals you collect.

Edit Edit: The passwords for all the endings are for the MSX version. :( The only other password that doesn't have the sword still has all the crystals. I tried it and beat Red Arremer, but he doesn't say anything. So nothing more to translate.

P

Haha kusutaru. :)

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on November 04, 2023, 11:45:56 pm
Quote from: Door Doorゆうきあるわかものよ、よく、くりすたるをてにいれた。
このくりすたるは、ぼうすがもっていたはずかなしいおとこよ、ぼうすわがしそんでありながら、
あくじにみをほろぼすとはちあ、なかにはいるがよい、たからはおまえのものだ
I feel something is missing between ぼうすがもっていたはず and かなしいおとこよ.
The end of the following clause is also strange: あくじにみをほろぼすとはちあ "to hachia?", "toha chia"? Neither makes any sense, I think it must said something else. The あくじにみ is also weird, should it be あくじのみ or something?
Here is my best attempt:
"Oh brave young one, well done claiming the crystal.
Bousu was supposed to have had this crystal he was a sad man. Though Bousu is my descendant, the evil was destroyed tohachia (?). You may enter, the treasure is yours to claim."

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on November 04, 2023, 11:45:56 pmWhen I got the treasure:
Quote from: undefinedゆうきあるわかものよ、おめでとうあなたのてにいれた、たからで
しまのひとびとは、ふたたびへいわにくらせるだろう
またひとう、うみのでんせつがうまれたのだ
I guess ひとう should be ひとつ. Google translate is out on a bicycle ride again:
"Oh brave young one, congratulations on claiming the treasure. With the treasure
the people of the island will be able to live in peace once again I suppose.
Once again a legend of the sea has been born."

Regarding the endings, have you tested the MSX passwords so you know that they don't work on the Famicom version?
I haven't played the game myself and don't really know more than you.

Jedi Master Baiter

I've tried an MSX code. It didn't work. :(

TCRF has an entry for this game's NES prototype, comparing it to the FC version. Unfortunately, the JP text isn't there. :(

P

They seem very close to my translations. They are a bit simplified to save ROM space I guess.

Tetouani85

i just played this super mario bros hack, it's "super dr. mario bros".
anyone has played it before ?
if yes, is there any warp zones ?
the only one i found is in 1-2.

Jedi Master Baiter

QuoteCOMPOSER NESDRAUG
Does this mean there's original music? I'll have to check this out. Looks weird but interesting.

I just played a little Hello Kitty World. ;D Love the Dr. Mario drums. :D Also glad I got the right game. I saw pictures of other Hello Kitty games and could imagine being shipped the wrong one. :redcart: