Retro game stores in Seattle

Started by cmarques, October 14, 2012, 03:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cmarques

Folks,

I'm going to stay two weeks in Seattle, can anyone suggest me good retro stores to buy FAMICOM/NES carts?

Thank you,

ulera

You'd be better off posting this in the Seattle subreddit on Reddit.com, I don't believe anyone here lives in Seattle and most likely can't help.

2A03

jamespoo

Quote from: cmarques on October 14, 2012, 03:55:11 pm
Folks,

I'm going to stay two weeks in Seattle, can anyone suggest me good retro stores to buy FAMICOM/NES carts?

Thank you,

ask on nintendo age

RetroGamerTMD

A guy I'm subscribed to on youtube named MetalJesusRocks made a video about gamestores in Seattle. I've been to a few on the list he's made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGnS9UfMqJY&feature=plcp

Like 2A03, I'd like to recommend Pink Gorilla. Prices on more well known games can get a little high, but on lesser known titles you can really find some good deals. It's a cool shop to check out regardless.  I've been to both University and International district locations, they have great selection.  ;D

mobiusclimber

Shame you aren't coming out next month. My buddies and I are opening a game store just outside of Tacoma (about a 40 minute drive from Seattle, maybe a little less) and the grand opening is going to be awesome. Gonna have lots of good deals.

If you're looking for Famicom carts, your best bet is definitely PG. Otherwise, I like Another Castle in Edmonds and Game Gurus on Aurora in Seattle. All of these places are hit and miss for deals, tho.
Proud owner of Super Smash Games in Tacoma and Seattle

ericj

Quote from: mobiusclimber on October 15, 2012, 01:58:30 pm
My buddies and I are opening a game store just outside of Tacoma (about a 40 minute drive from Seattle, maybe a little less) and the grand opening is going to be awesome. Gonna have lots of good deals.

Interesting. I live in Portland. Are you going to be posting anything about your upcoming store?

cmarques

Hi guys,

I am backing to Seattle next month again, let's try some suggested places :)

namakubi

Hey cmargues,

I'm a Seattle native, so I've got a pretty good idea about what's out there retro video game-wise:

Pink Gorilla Games: Everybody knows about this one, lots of variety in their inventory, but I wouldn't recommend blind-buying there as prices can vary so much. If you know what you're looking for, you can find some good deals though. Of any of the stores, they're the most likely to carry Famicom games. They now are a chain and have four stores: The original in the International District, the University District, West Seattle and now Bellevue.

Another Castle: A nicely sized used video game store. Mostly carries domestic retro games, so no Famicom here, but you'll find a lot of decent prices and some oddball rarities. They also have an excellent arcade as part of the store with lots of awesome cabinets. Worth a drive out to in Edmonds off Aurora/99.

Game Gurus: Another store off Aurora/99, they also have a store on Lake City Way. Game Gurus' prices are all over the place, if it's a well known title the price is going to be jacked up and not worth buying, if it's an uncommon game the price will usually be better as they don't know what to price the game at. My advice? Ignore the games kept in the case at the front counter and look in the bins or back wall for titles.

Al's Music Video & Games: A pawn shop in the University District off University Ave. Al's has a huge glass case full of  "rare" retro video game items, but none of them are reasonable prices. However, they have a side wall chocked full of NES, SNES, Master System and Genesis / Mega Drive games for good prices, and usually there will be a diamond in the rough that they didn't know how to price. I once got Power Blade 2 for 15 bucks here! They clearly didn't know what they had.

Play n Trade: There's a Play n Trade store in Kirkland, in the Totem Lake area. It's mostly current and last gen, but they have a few shelves with a healthy selection of retro, and you can usually find some uncommon games at a reasonable price here as the location is so out of the way.

JessicaWolf

Good lord, the prices at Pink Gorilla Games. They want $30 for a CIB copy of Chrono Trigger  ???
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

wholesalewatch648

Quote from: JessicaWolf on December 12, 2013, 08:25:55 am
Good lord, the prices at Pink Gorilla Games. They want $30 for a CIB copy of Chrono Trigger  ???
ntsc-j or ntsc-u/c   ???  i just bought CIB ntsc-j for $15 shipped (NM)
I am a big Nintendo fan! especially GameBoy, N64, SFC, GC. And of course Mario games
I collect SFC/N64 mainly. Some rare famicom stuff too. Also miscellaneous video game stuff.

nerdynebraskan

Sounds like a complaint from Jessica, so I'm going to guess SFC. $30 would be a solid deal for an SNES cart of Chrono Trigger, and a blazing steal for a CIB.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

egg_sanwich

There's a pretty awesome group of people in the Facebook Group Seattle Retro Gamers. May be worth hitting them up as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/489087834507573/

wholesalewatch648

ha, yes i wish $30 for SNES chrono trigger  :'(
im too cheap to buy SNES vers. so instead i buy CIB SFC vers.  8) 
I am a big Nintendo fan! especially GameBoy, N64, SFC, GC. And of course Mario games
I collect SFC/N64 mainly. Some rare famicom stuff too. Also miscellaneous video game stuff.