Buying a Gimmick! without getting burned

Started by nerdynebraskan, March 16, 2014, 06:30:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

Quote from: MrNorbert on March 24, 2014, 10:29:17 am
the JAP version of Gimmick has a copy protection, so if you go to Level 7, you will get BLACK HOLE.

Does this mean that upon entering Level 7, the screen just goes black and the game freezes, or that there's an actual black hole that sucks Yumetaro in and it's Game Over? 'cause the latter would be awesome.

fcgamer

Quote from: Profeta Yoshitake on March 24, 2014, 07:00:00 am
Quote from: fcgamer on March 24, 2014, 03:49:00 am
I have the Pipe V pirate too, but haven't played it too much, as the music sounds so horrible.

Mine too. Maybe due to the absence of Sunsoft's special sound chip.

Quote from: L___E___T on March 24, 2014, 06:17:37 am
It does on real hardware - sounded fine on my clone.

Really?!  :blinky:
I'm gonna check this out!  :gamer:

Cool, I need to check this out too.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

MarioMania

nerdynebraskan

Well, I broke down and did it. I just dropped a chunk of change and a Gimmick showed up in the mail for me today. Usually, something like this would be grounds for bragging in the Finds thread, but I'm still paranoid about this. I figured I'd post some photos and give a little description and see what y'all think about it.

There's definitely discoloration on most of the front label, if that's not obvious in the photo. It actually seems like only the edges of the label are the original light-blue. It looks like the glue used may have darkened/yellowed the majority of the label by a couple of shades.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

FamilyMan

Their might be a possibility that is a counterfeit, someone has been selling them on eBay recently. Did you buy yours there?
- Collecting should be about owning the games as much as playing them!

muckyfingers

The only way to be 100% sure is to open the cart and look at the board and chips.

nerdynebraskan

Yes, I did buy it on Ebay. Do you know more about who's been selling counterfeits there, FamilyMan?

And yeah, I'd like to open it up and be sure, muckyfingers. But I'm not sure how much I trust myself to do that without damaging the case. I tried one method on a Dragon Quest IV I had lying around, and I broke its clips.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

fcgamer

Quote from: FamilyMan on March 07, 2015, 07:18:14 pm
Their might be a possibility that is a counterfeit, someone has been selling them on eBay recently. Did you buy yours there?

I am interested in knowing about this too.  Do you know their ebay name?

muckyfingers

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on March 07, 2015, 09:47:41 pm
Yes, I did buy it on Ebay. Do you know more about who's been selling counterfeits there, FamilyMan?

And yeah, I'd like to open it up and be sure, muckyfingers. But I'm not sure how much I trust myself to do that without damaging the case. I tried one method on a Dragon Quest IV I had lying around, and I broke its clips.

I just muscle the carts open one side at a time with patience, only cos I'm too cheap to buy a clamp from Lowe's to use this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCiAOmgeFc

P

Which method did you do when you broke the DQ IV cart? I never failed with the quick-clamp method but you have to be careful and not be impatient. If the plastic is already too bristle it can't be helped.

FamilyMan

March 08, 2015, 08:07:43 am #25 Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:14:26 am by FamilyMan
There have been a few instances, in recent memory, extrarare_gameshop has sold two or three into the market. Another instance someone sold 2 gimmicks as a lot and claimed "I will not be responsible if these are fakes, examine the picture and bid at your own risk". Obviously, whoever the winner of this auction was or is going to reintroduce that extra copy into the market to recoup the costs. I believe the market is getting overrun with fakes as the price of gimmick carts alone are well worth-while for reproducers. I believe a good method to avoid fakes is to seek out an old decrepit copy of gimmick, the prevention for fallacy is still possible however.

The problem is not reproductions today, it is when those reproductions change hands and honesty becomes a gray area tomorrow.

Also, I cannot recommend opening famicom carts. I have opened over 100 and you always have ones that the tabs snap no matter what. Age and plastic are two things that do not get along.
- Collecting should be about owning the games as much as playing them!

fcgamer

I grabbed my Gimmick sometime last year, maybe during the summer, from a longtime Famicom collector.  I got an okay price on it, imo, though not a steal; however, the one thing I did get was some peace of mind that I wasn't getting scammed with a fake. 

80sFREAK

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on March 07, 2015, 09:47:41 pm

You should check weight on digital scales with 0.01gr accuracy and ask someone, who has original cart to do the same.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

L___E___T

It looks original to me.

Quick and easy test - does it have the extra sound?  If no = fake, if yes - check the pins - any cuts in the plastic near the pins with visible wires and solder mean it is a repro.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but upload a pic of the pins and bottom of the cart (in good light) for a quick answer.  

Repros are easy to spot if it has been rewired for the extra sound.

The label(s) look legit from these images though, so don't stress.  If it's fake, you can file a return and eBay and Paypal will have you covered, no ifs or buts.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nusilver

March 19, 2015, 09:53:02 pm #29 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:12:28 pm by nusilver
Here's my cart, which senseiman sold me in 2011 or 2012. Hope it's helpful to you, nerdynebraskan! Also, I ended up buying the box only that was up on eBay this week - I made an offer that was considerably lower than his stated price and he accepted. I asked him how he ended up with a box but no game and he said he bought it as junk and the game was, indeed, junk. He has plenty of positive feedback so I'm sure it's legit, but I'll compare it with my Hebereke box when it gets here. Shame there's no manual, but I've never seen a box only go up for sale anywhere, so I decided not to miss it. On the slight possibility a manual or inserts ever show up, I'll grab 'em.

Here's the box image from the listing - now confirmed as a counterfeit.