Flicker Issue

Started by Mao-Jasura, May 04, 2014, 05:51:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao-Jasura

I had seen small flickers of white light on various areas of the screen from time to time while playing my Super Mario Bros. 2 game. The issue is not major as gameplay is unaffected at all, but I'd like to know what might be causing that. I am using a standard 2 way AV cable since just the white and yellow cables aren't available for purchase in many locations.

Now, this part is irrelevant, so it is not necessary for you to read this right now, but I want to know if the Famicom Adapter usually found within copies of Gyromite allows NES games to be played on a Famicom as I am yet to search for a copy of Gyromite with the adapter. I have a Twin Famicom and I at least want to make the Famicom portion useful while my Famicom Disk System is being replaced.

AsteroidBlues

The converter found in gyromite is a FAMICOM to NES converter, meaning you can play famicom games on your NES but not the other way around. That said there are converters for what you want.

As for the flicker issue, any chance you could upload some pics/video so we can see what's going on?

Mao-Jasura

Well a white wire snapped off from the circuit board, so I'll have to  replace my FDS now. But as soon as I replace it, I will record the gameplay to see if the issue occurs again because the flicker is too fast to take pictures of.

That also reminds me, can I install a regular FDS into my Twin Famicom since the power board is intact, would I have to get it from another Twin Famicom, or would I just need to get another Twin Famicom with a working FDS?

I live in Ohio and I'll gladly buy another working FDS as long as it's anywhere within the U.S. due to tracking issues, but I'd only need the drive and not the case that holds it since my Twin Famicom was too large to be stored in an oversized package box at my Post Office. I'd assume that the FDS would be treated the same way since that's also very big. I still have the 4 screws that keep the FDS in place, so I won't need those either.

Pikkon

Quote from: Mao-Jasura on May 05, 2014, 09:26:32 am

That also reminds me, can I install a regular FDS into my Twin Famicom

Yup,there the same.

Mao-Jasura

I finally got my new FDS last weekend and installed into my Twin Famicom. Works well. Unfortunately, that flicker of white light still persists from time to time and I don't have an adequate camera to capture the footage. However, I'd like to know where I can get an NES to Famicom Adapter. I'd also like to know if it's possible to build one from a Famicom to NES Adapter.

Raverrevolution

It's too bad that there aren't any female to female 72 pin edge connectors out there somewhere.  I bet you could just get one, put it on the other side of the adapter and play NES games in a Famicom.

Mao-Jasura

I was thinking the same thing unless the slot is permanently attached to the adapter's board. Nonetheless, I'll still purchase both adapters. I was able to find an NES to Famicom Adapter for $11.65 on Stone Age Gamer, so I'd assume it might be possible.

fredJ

SMB2 does have a little line that shows up sometimes, about the third down the screen... Most probably don't notice it.
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10104
Maybe it is related to your problem? I think it happens in SMB too.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

80sFREAK

If you can not catch flicker issue with your camera, most likely you expecting too much from old technology.  ::) Flickering in overscan areas and some games(SMB3) is kinda normal. It's possible some issues with colour encoding, but you can't do much about it, only "shake" trimmer(green plastic part around CPU) half turn clockwise and counter clockwise with screwdriver . Also be sure, that you TV can do NTSC proper.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy