1CHIP Super Famicom reduced shielding?

Started by P, June 12, 2014, 05:59:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Do anyone know if the bottom shielding is supposed to be missing on the 1CHIP version?

I disassembled my 1CHIP Super Famicom to clean it, and when I put it back together I noticed the the bottom shielding is missing. The APU shielding is also missing but that's expected on newer boards. Since the bottom shielding is as big as the whole board it's unlikely that I have simply misplaced it. There's two metal parts with screw holes (but no screws) that goes into the bottom shell but seems to have absolutely no function at all.

Maybe Nintendo decided that it's not needed so they took it out to cut the costs? The shielding over the CPU/PPU also doesn't cover as much as the same shielding on earlier versions does, so I guess they made it a bit smaller to cut down on costs.

zmaster18

Yes, that revision of the SFC board doesn't have a bottom metal plate. The two metal pieces with screw holes are used to attach the Satellaview add-on on the bottom of the Super Famicom

P

Thank you! :)
Good that means I'm not missing any parts. I've never thought about those two holes on the underside before, so they were for the Satellaview.