Got my RF NTSC Famicom working full color on PAL TV without modding

Started by dougal22, June 15, 2014, 01:07:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dougal22

Hi, I am new here and just wanted to share how I got my Famicom working in full colour on a PAL TV.

My PAL TV only supports NTSC AV in black & white. My Japan NTSC Famicom is not AV modded.

Basically, I hooked up the Famicom via RF to a VCR and hooked up the VCR via AV leads to my TV. That was enough to use the Famicom with a clear picture and sound but still black and white.

So, I bought a Mayflash PAL/NTSC converter and put that between the VCR and the TV and voila! Full colour Famicom with no mods whatsoever on my PAL TV.

Now I can play Castlevania at the speed is was meant to be played at and in full colour  ;D

Next on my is a Famicom Disk System and a Hudson or Hori controller because I hate the short leads of the standard Fami controllers.

dougal22

Here  couple of screen shots and a pic of the converter.

P

Thanks for sharing. I would have done it too if I had an VCR.

dougal22

Quote from: P on June 19, 2014, 02:52:38 am

Yeah the VCR is essential as it takes the RF signal in its tuner and outputs an AV composite signal. Connecting the PAL/NTSC converter between the AV out of the VCR and AV in on the TV converted the NTSC signal to a PAL one for a nice colour display.

I bought my VCR for something like 5 euros from a car boot sale. Its a Philips but I guess any make & model will do as long as it has an RF tuner that can tune to 95 - 96 mhz and output AV composite.

jpx72

Great topic, thanks for the photos, many people ask me for this solution in my part of the world. So it's working great both video and sound, right?

dougal22

Quote from: jpx72 on June 19, 2014, 09:22:47 am
Great topic, thanks for the photos, many people ask me for this solution in my part of the world. So it's working great both video and sound, right?

Pleasure. Yes both colour video and sound working properly.

With just the Famicom RF to TV it was black & white with no sound.
Famicom RF to VCR to TV (Without the pal/ntsc converter) was black and white but also with perfect sound.
Famicom RF to VCR to AV PAL/NTSC converter to TV and works full colour and perfect sound.

Atari_5

hello is my first comment
I know it's an old post but after trying this has not worked for me.
connect the console to video, video converter and signal this to the tv.
the video must be Japanese? mine is pal :-[

tonev

Another great way to do it iv you have a sony dvd / hdd recorder. There is an option in the settings to force ntsc on pal systems and it works great regardless if you are using AV or RF

I am back everyone :)

Atari_5

Thanks,no have a hdd recorder but i see for buy,my vcr have any problem and will not let me play with the famicom :mario:
I know this not post for this question,but someone have a nintendo color tv game 6 or 15?
I have one but in three months have not managed to connect it. :(

the-force

I have a Sony DVD Recorder (RDR-HX780). Does anybody know how to setup the recorder for the Famicom? The auto scan doesn't find a channel but I can see the game now and then during the scan.

I can get an image with manual setup, but no audio.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: the-force on December 23, 2018, 12:10:02 am
I have a Sony DVD Recorder (RDR-HX780). Does anybody know how to setup the recorder for the Famicom? The auto scan doesn't find a channel but I can see the game now and then during the scan.

try to change Sound System and CH System

the-force

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on December 24, 2018, 06:42:32 am
Quote from: the-force on December 23, 2018, 12:10:02 am

try to change Sound System and CH System

That doesn't help. I think the problem is that the tuner does not support NTSC with M sound system. I hoped it will work after @tonev said so. Maybe he had used a VCR to convert from RF to AV and then the DVD recorder to convert from NTSC to PAL.

boye

Quote from: dougal22 on June 19, 2014, 03:25:18 am
Quote from: P on June 19, 2014, 02:52:38 am

Yeah the VCR is essential as it takes the RF signal in its tuner and outputs an AV composite signal. Connecting the PAL/NTSC converter between the AV out of the VCR and AV in on the TV converted the NTSC signal to a PAL one for a nice colour display.

I bought my VCR for something like 5 euros from a car boot sale. Its a Philips but I guess any make & model will do as long as it has an RF tuner that can tune to 95 - 96 mhz and output AV composite.

Maybe not if there was a dedicaded RF demodulator.
But there isn't one.
Oof.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.