AV Famicom with NES games in Pal land

Started by RC, August 06, 2014, 06:56:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RC

I apologise if this problem has a really obvious answer,my googling came up with lots of conflicting answers. I'm planning on ordering an AV 'New' Famicom with some games from Japan to start off my collection and I was wondering how my Pal NES games would function with a 72-60 pin adapter.

I'm basically wondering if, with a modern HDTV that supports 50hz and 60hz  I would still get the slowdown that can happen with Pal games. Am I completely confused or will there be no slow down at all?

Thanks!

infiniteNOP

Quote from: RC on August 06, 2014, 06:56:37 am
I'm basically wondering if, with a modern HDTV that supports 50hz and 60hz  I would still get the slowdown that can happen with Pal games. Am I completely confused or will there be no slow down at all?

It's basically the other way round, NTSC games play slower on PAL consoles (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL_region#Criticism_of_PAL_region_video_games ), so your play games will play faster on the Famicom. It would be a good idea to check whether your TV supports NTSC-J. Also, have you considered getting some Famicom exclusives? It would be a waste to only play European/PAL games on the Famicom.
Previously known as linuxlalala

RC

Thanks for that, makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking  ;D I already have an original NES for my Pal games I just thought it would be nice to have a little more reliability with the AV Famicom. The plan with the Famicom is to start getting some Japanese games and playing all the obscure (to me) stuff that I've never played before. It would indeed be a waste to limit myself to Pal games with all the great Japanese stuff out there  ;D

P

Some PAL games will play like normal on the NTSC console (because they where never optimized for PAL in the first place) while other games will probably play too fast like Linuxlala said and yet other games will be totally unplayable. Especially games that makes use of the extra vertical blanking time that the PAL PPU has. The PAL exclusive game Elite is a known example that won't work on NTSC systems.

kevkevkev

youll never use the nes again.  the av fami is faster, better looking and sounding than the nes. and alot of games are much cheaper too.