Kid Icarus (Hikari Shinwa, Palutena no Kagami) review!

Started by kite200, June 11, 2007, 07:17:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kite200

Welcome and check it.
I am writing a review for kid icarus in this topix.
I think this is a great game, so be prepared for me rating it high.

Intro:

Hikari Shinwa was released on the 18th of December 1986 for the famicom disk system. This nintendo game is a sister game to metroid, as they use the same game engine. This is a very popular game that has never received a true sequel, though there is still hope now that nintendo is including Pit in super smash brothers brawl for the nintendo wii. Sadly, the creater of the game, Gunpei Yokoi, is no longer around.

Storyline: 5/5

Medusa, the goddess of darkness, is assembling an army to conquer Palutena's home, the castle in the sky. They fought a war, and Palutena was defeated and imprisoned. Medusa then obtained the three sacred treasures and gave them to her best minions. Palutena seeks the help of Pit, an angel trapped in the underworld. Using the last of her strength, she gave Pit his magical bow, an iconic weapon of this game.

This storyline is heavily influenced by greek mythology and makes an interesting theme for this game. This helps create a unique feel that is important to the game

Graphics: 4/5

The graphics are actually very good, the sprites are well drawn, Pit looks awesome, and the enemies all have a certain charm to them. The animations are smooth and work well, especially Pit's jumping animation. One of the downsides of the graphics is the backrounds of the levels is simply a solid color, but the famicom cant really handle anything more then what they have done here.

Sound: 5/5

The sound is crisp and catchy. You will remember the different tunes from the game, mainly the one from the first level. The sound effects are much better on the famicom then on the nes thanks to the use of the famicom disk systems extra sound channel. Without the sound, the game is definately not as good. The sound is an integral part of the games appeal due to it's high quality. Of course, the sound was composed by the legendary Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka.

Gameplay: 5/5

This game is pretty unique in that it is a vertical scrolling platformer. You can only go up except on the dungeon levels which allow for more movement. If you fall off the bottom of the screen, instead of scrolling down to show the character, you simply die. This can lead to some high frustration. One of the great features of this game are the different items and weapons you can optionally obtain which allow for character customization, and of course, progress can be saved using your diskette. The currency of the game is hearts, and you will need lots of them if you want to buy things. Purchasing items helps decrease the insanely large amount of difficulty present in this game.

Controls: 4/5

The controls are responsive and do what they are supposed to do. You can move, fly, and shoot. Nothing more to say here.

Fun Factor: 5/5

This game provides a great storyline, challenge, and great gameplay, and you will have alot of fun killing enemies and finding your way through the various dungeons.

Frustration: 5/5

This game is a bitch. Period. You fall, you die. You get hit a few times, you die. Touch the lava? That's right, you die. This game is hard. However, buying items decreases the difficulty so be sure to stock up on those hearts.

Overall: 5/5

This is one nintendo game not to be missed, especially for metroid fans because it's kind of similar in some ways to metroid. Definately deserves a sequel and I hope nintendo will step up to the plate and give fans what they want. This game is only available on famicom disk system and can be obtained for 20-30 united states dollars.

ステキ

Doc

FamicomFreak

really good interesting stuff. Keep up with the good reviews.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Crash Dummie

Here's a link to the reviews I made on another site:

http://www.fight-evil.com/forum/index.php?topic=4026.0

Yours was very good too! All you'd need to add is a bit of eye candy to make sure people read all of it.
A Winner Is You.                                             -The FW Québécois

SuperMarioBrosSuperShow

I got my copy on ebay from a US seller for only 99 cents  ;D