Nick's stuff for sale thread: AV modded Famicoms and more!! update May 5

Started by zmaster18, February 02, 2015, 06:22:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

zmaster18

Added 5 AV modified Famicoms. Will be adding 2 FDS systems later on.

Post Merge: November 10, 2015, 05:31:50 am

Added 2 Famicom Disk System systems.  :diskkun:

zmaster18

Added Family BASIC V3 and V2.1A bundles, 2 FDS consoles, and some N64 stuff on my ebay page. Will be adding 2 AV modded Famicom bundles and 2 AV modded Famicom with FDS bundles later.

Post Merge: December 16, 2015, 02:44:17 pm

Added a AV modded Famicom with Disk System bundle. This is the last one I will have before I come back from vacation, which is the 27th. I will have 3 more Famicoms ready for after the holidays. I also have 2 more Disk Systems for sale, 1 one of them is ready to buy and the other still needs work.

zmaster18

leonk

Good job on the jailbars.  The ones you see are identical to what you get from stock NES and AV modded top loader.  LED flat panels are really able to make that power rail noise pop.  On a CRT, those bars are not visible.

Only way to get clean LED video is NESRGB or NES HDMI.

zmaster18

Thank you, I'm actually pretty proud of my work this time. This is my best batch of Famicoms, ever. The condition of the controllers and the whiteness of the plastic is also better than usual.

The jailbars pretty much look just like the NES. Even with the pictures I provided, you still have to put your face to your computer screen to see them.

famifan

QuoteI have done all I can to reduce the jailbars (lift pin 21 of PPU, cap between pins 20 & 22) and I think the quality looks quite nice on a 30" flatscreen TV. Jailbars are only noticeable when you put your face to the screen, but not noticeable when actually playing.

sorry as this is not related to sales actually, but still:

have you considered wrapping PPU with some piece of foil to shield the noise? have you ever tried that? it should help to completely wipe out these tiny jailbars.

actually, this was suggested in http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=8080.0 , but it could be done without PPU desoldering.

zmaster18

Quote from: famifan on February 08, 2016, 06:53:27 am
QuoteI have done all I can to reduce the jailbars (lift pin 21 of PPU, cap between pins 20 & 22) and I think the quality looks quite nice on a 30" flatscreen TV. Jailbars are only noticeable when you put your face to the screen, but not noticeable when actually playing.

sorry as this is not related to sales actually, but still:

have you considered wrapping PPU with some piece of foil to shield the noise? have you ever tried that? it should help to completely wipe out these tiny jailbars.

actually, this was suggested in http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=8080.0 , but it could be done without PPU desoldering.

That's ok, any comment about my mod is welcome.

I am aware of the shielding of the PPU with copper tape, but I personally don't do it. I feel as if it isn't the most direct way to address the noise in the video line.

Pikkon

I just av modded a HVC-CPU-07 and didn't shied the ppu,all I did was add caps to the power rails on the ppu and cpu and that pretty much took care of the jail bars.

leonk

Quote from: Pikkon on February 08, 2016, 02:12:22 pm
I just av modded a HVC-CPU-07 and didn't shied the ppu,all I did was add caps to the power rails on the ppu and cpu and that pretty much took care of the jail bars.

Bingo!  The jailbars are caused by noisy power rails.  The composite video is generated inside the PPU.  Any dips in Vcc will show up as noise which is what we see.  This is identical to the recent jailbar fix that Tim Worthington (inventor of NESRGB) created for the PC Engine / TG16.  The caps used by NEC on that console are not sufficient for Vcc dips on the rails.  Bumping the cap sizes and using CERAMIC capacitors (which react much quicker than your standard electrolytic caps) eliminated all jailbars from NEC consoles!

Foil on the PPU assumes the noise is generated by RF interference outside the PPU -- this is not the case.

Nick, there's no need for the cap between pin 20 (GND) and 22 (/RST).  /RST is only triggered by CIC chip in NES when RESET button is pressed.  Otherwise it's just held high (Vcc) at all times.  In fact, in top loader, pin 22 is permanently held to Vcc.  That's why when you reset a top loader you get picture corruption and then system reset (rather than clean black reset like on NES) --> PPU is not told to reset its video registers!

Free bump for you!

zmaster18

zmaster18

Quote from: leonk on February 08, 2016, 05:26:06 pm
Nick, there's no need for the cap between pin 20 (GND) and 22 (/RST).  /RST is only triggered by CIC chip in NES when RESET button is pressed.  Otherwise it's just held high (Vcc) at all times.  In fact, in top loader, pin 22 is permanently held to Vcc.  That's why when you reset a top loader you get picture corruption and then system reset (rather than clean black reset like on NES) --> PPU is not told to reset its video registers!

Not true, connecting a capacitor (any value,I tried caps from 560pf to 100uf) between pin 22 and GND will reduce jailbars. The same is true for pin 40 of the PPU, which is the +5V for the PPU chip.

Will be adding one more FDS console with VS Excitebike and Green Beret later.

leonk

Quote from: zmaster18 on February 18, 2016, 05:20:39 pm
Not true, connecting a capacitor (any value,I tried caps from 560pf to 100uf) between pin 22 and GND will reduce jailbars. The same is true for pin 40 of the PPU, which is the +5V for the PPU chip.

I can't explain why you notice this.  Very strange.  If you lift pin 22 and tie it to Vcc / pin 40 you'll see that the system will still function perfectly fine.

The only reason you'll need a cap between pin 40 and GND is if the trace to pin 40 is tiny and can't provide enough current at times.

zmaster18

zmaster18