AV Famicom power regulator question

Started by SegaSonic9, March 15, 2015, 12:27:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SegaSonic9

Hi all,
          I received a DOA AV Famicom last week.  It was a simple fix, as I suspected (and hoped!) when I bought it.  I bought a new 7805 regulator and wa-la!  Power!  The problem is, I am worried I screwed up with the regulator.  I wanted a 2amp one but realised when I got home that I had grabbed a 1amp, doh!

I am using a MEGA DRIVE AC adaptor and the screen keeps flicking every time the screen changes.  Such as entering or leaving a room or menu in an RPG.  Is it because the amperage of the regulator is too low?  I was a bit worried about damaging the system so I decided not to use it until I get a new 2amp regulator.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2A03

That replacement regulator is just fine and is an exact replacement for the original one anyway, so that's not the issue.

SegaSonic9

Thanks!  I thought that 1amp was an exact replacement, but with the apparent flicking problem, I started to doubt myself.  Any idea what would cause the constant flicking of the screen?  The TV does lose synch sometimes and the way it happens and the way it looks made me think it was some kind of power issue.  Or power surges to be more precise.

I need to try it on one of my CRTs to see if it's the same or not.  I wondered if it is simply the AVFami outputting a "stronger" signal than the other systems which cause plasmas problems.  Both plasmas I tried it on display 240p with no problem, but both did the same thing.  I am sure I have seen something like this before with one of my other systems but cannot remember which one/s!  A few of them are not accessable at the moment so I cannot test.  I think that one of my DUO-RXs may have done it.  I was playing Nutopia and Ruin recently and seem to remember something similar but my mind could just be scrambled!

aha2940

If you can post a video showing the issue, it may be easier to diagnose.

Regards.

SegaSonic9

Thanks!  But I think my original hunch may have been correct.  I finaly bothered to try the AVFami on one of my CRTs and there was no flicking.  It must just be a plasma issue.  What I was trying to describe, as a "flick", would possibly be better described as the screen rolling once and making a noise in the speakers.  Kind of like having a dodgy video cable that makes the screen flick when you touch it.

It's strange that only the AV does this, not a single other of my systems exhiberts this issue on either plasma.  I wanted to check on a CRT to make sure there was no further issues with the system other than a blown regulator.  It makes me wonder how it was blown in the first place!

muckyfingers

Quote from: SegaSonic9 on March 23, 2015, 03:11:11 am
...It makes me wonder how it was blown in the first place!

Quite often people plug in an AC adapter instead of a DC adapter and blow out the regulator, if not more.