Super Mario Bros. 30th Anniversary Coffee Omake from DyDo

Started by Shumi Nagaremono, February 24, 2015, 03:20:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Shumi Nagaremono

https://hobbydrifter.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/super-mario-bros-coffee-omake-from-dydo/

I just saw these at a 7-11 in Tokyo.  There are 8 different SMB characters in green capsules that double as pipe displays.  Very similar to the 20th anniversary Pepsi premiums (except this time, there aren't thirty of the flippin' things). 

I grabbed the full set (plus a spare Mario for my desk at work), and will likely snag a few more Goombas and Koopa Troopas if these are still around once I finish all this coffee.  If they're anything like previous Mario omake, they probably won't last long in stores.

nabbeth

Aww, maan!
I'd love to see these guys sitting on my desk as well.
Please hit me up if you don't mind buying some of these for me. :D

maxellnormalbias

Why don't they have these here? They're totally awesome!

I also like how they used the sprites, and not just generic models of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Kinopio (Toad), whoever.

DDCecil

Those are awesome! I have 3 of the Pepsi ones (Buzzy Beetle, Bullet Bill Cannon, and a Hammer Bro.) that I bought at a convention a few years ago and would love to get more!

zmaster18

I would totally get stuff like this. Why is Japan the heaven of cool games/toys? And crazy soft-drink flavors? It's simply not fair.

Shumi Nagaremono

Had I brain one in that huge melon on top of my neck, I'd snatch up a bunch of these to use for trade-bait.  Then, I'd be livin' the sweet life.  Drowning in coffee AND stuff to swap with grateful fellow fans.

zmaster18

February 24, 2015, 04:07:15 pm #6 Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:13:26 pm by zmaster18
Quote from: Shumi Nagaremono on February 24, 2015, 03:24:16 pm
Had I brain one in that huge melon on top of my neck, I'd snatch up a bunch of these to use for trade-bait.  Then, I'd be livin' the sweet life.  Drowning in coffee AND stuff to swap with grateful fellow fans.

Very smart. You Japanese can easily tempt us with your goodies for trade. We'll do ANYTHING to get these cute little toys hehe! Maybe these things would create a surge of demand like Amiibo.

Wow, I just checked the price of each can, about 120yen or $1.50. You can make money by drinking these if the value of the toy is $5!!!

Shumi Nagaremono

Quote from: zmaster18 on February 24, 2015, 04:07:15 pm
Had I brain one in that huge melon on top of my neck, I'd snatch up a bunch of these to use for trade-bait.  Then, I'd be livin' the sweet life.  Drowning in coffee AND stuff to swap with grateful fellow fans.

Very smart. You Japanese can easily tempt us with your goodies for trade. We'll do ANYTHING to get these cute little toys hehe! Maybe these things would create a surge of demand like Amiibo.

Wow, I just checked the price of each can, about 120yen or $1.50. You can make money by drinking these if the value of the toy is $5!!!

Yeah, but shipping is where it all falls apart.  To justify the cost of shipping, most folks will want full sets and those are hard to put together without looking like a weirdo at 7-11. 

Years back, I did this w/ Transformers omake and *still* get weird looks from the managers.  :(

zmaster18

Quote from: Shumi Nagaremono on February 24, 2015, 04:31:07 pm
Quote from: zmaster18 on February 24, 2015, 04:07:15 pm

Yeah, but shipping is where it all falls apart.  To justify the cost of shipping, most folks will want full sets and those are hard to put together without looking like a weirdo at 7-11. 

Years back, I did this w/ Transformers omake and *still* get weird looks from the managers.  :(

Ahh, true. At least getting all 8 isn't too bad though. I think the Pepsi bottle caps with mario from about 10 years ago had like 20-30 different pieces? When you go to the konbini, are there certain Mario coffee cans that sell out before others? Are certain figures more in demand? Or do you see equal amounts of each? Also are these figures larger than the Pepsi ones? :)

Shumi Nagaremono

February 24, 2015, 07:56:53 pm #9 Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:41:37 pm by Shumi Nagaremono
I think these are a bit larger, but I'll have to dig out my older ones to check.  There were *30* of the Pepsi ones, and I *think* they were blind packed.

Mario is available in the greatest numbers.  Nokonokos and kuribos are in higher numbers than Peach, it seems.  Koopa was the hardest one to get.

I don't think these are in wide release until this weekend, so I'll know for sure in a few days.

Post Merge: February 24, 2015, 09:26:06 pm

Just a little background. 

These little things (omake) are almost always exclusive to convenience stores.  Sometimes they are exclusive to a single chain (Family Mart, 7-11, Lawson, etc).  Other times, they're available at any convenience stores that carry the drink that's sponsoring the promotion.  I'm guessing that the Mario promos will be a case of this. 

These stores, especially in the cities, are almost always busy during the times I pass by.  The drinks are in a cooler, which is sometimes *right* next to the cashier.  The drinks are line up in rows with very little clearance above, so the only cans you can see are the ones at the very front of each row.  This means that in order to get a whole set, you'll often have to take multiple cans out of the fridge, check which omake in included, then put it back. 

While this kind of thing isn't unheard of, it does look weird.  I think an apt comparison would be how Hot Wheels Collectors are sometimes viewed. 

But at least this is just eight cans.  And eight cans of coffee, at that.  Everybody goes through eight cans of coffee in a week.  Compare that to thirty freakin' BOTTLES of Pepsi (and that's assuming you managed to get ZERO doubles, which...you didn't). 

When Mario Kart 7 was released, there were TWO different omake campaigns.  One of them had like 15 different Choro-Q (pull back) carts.  You got one with each can of Morning Shot coffee.  Then there was another set with larger figurines.  There were, I think, 10 of these, and they were included with two packs of the same coffee.   So, to get the whole set, you'd need to pick up 35 cans of coffee.  But even then there was a snag.  The stores didn't keep dozens of the two-packs stocked at all times.  So even if you bought every one the store had on display, you'd still need to go from place to place picking through stock. 

And convenience stores aren't usually the kind of place people go and leave without buying anything.  THAT looks weird, too.  Especially if you already stand out for some reason or another. 

Post Merge: February 25, 2015, 03:41:37 pm

Update:  These are not exclusive to 7-11.  They're also available on different types of DyDo coffee.

manuel

I think I should head to my nearest convenience store...
Aah, if I just had more time these days...  :'(