Shutting Down FW (April Fools)

Started by UglyJoe, March 30, 2015, 09:49:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

March 30, 2015, 09:49:26 am Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 02:53:18 pm by SumixXam
Hey.

You guys all know that I've been busy for the past like 5 years.  I don't think I've been doing FW justice, so I've been trying to get someone else to take over.  Nobody seems to want the responsibility (or my buggy code, haha).  

So I'm thinking of shutting down the main page and just leaving the forums up for while longer.  This version of SMF will be end-of-lifed soon and so will probably get hit up by script-kiddies a few months after that.  I'd rather see the forum shutdown gracefully than get hacked to death.

So...thoughts?

MaxXimus

Seriously!? That's crazy. This is like my second home. when were you thinking of closing down the main site? I guess it really doesn't get that much attention... Are we going to announce this some time or? Maybe we could archive everything so it's not like were completely losing everything? Keep us updated for sure.

I'm just blown away.

L___E___T

End of era... I must say I'm pretty stunned, as this has been my home from home for what feels like nearly ten years now.  

Having said that I understand the reasons for your choices and don't want to make that feel like a guilt trip etc.  so, I'm sure others will join me and be supportive.

Is there any option for someone to look after it, even if the code is buggy?  Man, I don't know how we would best to communicate it, how much time / scope is there??  :-\
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: SumixXam on March 30, 2015, 09:58:30 am
when were you thinking of closing down the main site?

Dunno.  It's fairly self-sustaining now that Wordpress updates itself, but the content is constantly out of date.  Kind of embarrassing to have this high-ranking site (thanks to JC et al, not really my doing) and then post like 1 thing a year.  It's depressing, man.

Quote from: SumixXam on March 30, 2015, 09:58:30 am
Are we going to announce this some time or? Maybe we could archive everything so it's not like were completely losing everything?

Dunno when I'll announce it.  I guess there are other options, but the alternatives I've looked into haven't really panned out.  Probably worth archiving the site articles somewhere since there's some real gold in there.

Quote from: L___E___T on March 30, 2015, 11:21:30 am
Is there any option for someone to look after it, even if the code is buggy?

I've asked a few people and there's either no interest or they want to take the site in a direction I'd rather not see it go (ads, ads, ads).  A bit selfish of me, I guess :-[

MaxXimus

I hear you about the ads. I guess we've been spoiled a bit with the lack of them. This really sucks though. I hope there is something that can be done. Here's hoping.

NintendoKing

I'm very sorry to read this. I've truly enjoyed my time on this website. It's a real shame as this truly was one of my most visited websites. I'll miss all of you and I am very happy to have been able to be a moderator.

I liked Famicom before first visiting the forum but this place really helped increase my interest a whole lot.
:'(

MaxXimus

This was basically where I came when I first started collecting famicom. I'll miss the site for sure.

manuel

*sigh*
Ah yeah, I guess this was bound to happen some time.  :(
The first forum where I became a mod (The NES Files) was shut down, too.
And now Famicom World?  :'(

I know I haven't been around lately, but I loved this site since 2006.  :star:

It seems everything I like is going away.  :-[

I still hope you change your mind somehow or that there is something we can all do, cause it would be damn hard to lose this place.

NintendoKing

I'm just not sure how to deal with this. Many new people keep getting introduced to Famicom collecting only because we exist. This closing could really see the end of collecting in the western world because lack of readily available sources for decent prices of stuff.

UglyJoe

This probably deserves its own thread.  Gonna split it out of General Site Chat.

Nightstar699

Happy April Fools' to you guys as well!

So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

NintendoKing

I'm sorry but we all talked it over. It's not an April fools joke. :(

nusilver

please don't! Also, I assume the site interface being all in Japanese is an April Fool's Day joke.

MaxXimus

This wasn't meant for the public forums. I can't seem to move it. I'm trying to move the thread but it's giving an error. I'm going to PM uglyjoe. I think our little joke glitched the system.

NintendoKing

Yes the Japanese was the joke. And this thread was our communications about closing down, we were going to unveil it after April fools so that you would know we were being seriously.