White Lines without sound

Started by Tairetsu, April 09, 2015, 12:31:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tairetsu

Hi!,I'm new here,sorry that my first post is asking for help,but I have an issue and I'm kind of a noob when it comes to technical stuff,basically I got an AV modded Famicom a couple years ago and it worked fine at first,first test it on my dad's NTSC TV,and then got it running on a PAL TV back here,but at the time I did not had any games for it,so I had the console on the shelf for a while,say,a year from there I finally got a couple games and decided to bust it out again,but it was not working anymore,now I have seen at least 1 more post about white screen on this forum but I did not understood the answers,as dumb as it sounds,so I would like to get some help on more noob-friendly terms :P.

If it helps,I used the console with a SEGA Genesis AC adapter to get it working with the local voltage,and as I said I did not made the AV mod myself,I bough the system with it included,open it up and I guess it looks fine on that end,but then again I would not know how to recognize a fried component,I'm getting a white or white and black screen depending on what game I boot the system up with,or a blue screen if I plug in the disk system without any games,but no sound,also it's strange that this happened after a long period of being unused,rather than soon after being plugged in for the first time.

Thanks in advance!.  :-[

iStreet

Tried cleaning the pins in the famicom or on the carts? I know that you will get a white screen and/or purple screen when you have dirty connectors in a NES...
I always downshift near a hybrid, so they can hear me hurt the environment...

Tairetsu

I tried a very long time ago,I could do it again...how am I supposed to clean them exactly?,last time I used some dry cotton swabs but that did not do much,so I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it.

I was also wondering if modern TVs still affect older consoles regarding their region,my TV is a modern HD TV,if it was PAL,would that affect how the console looks and works?.

jpx72

How did you test it back then, when you havent got any games?
You have a video signal (white/blue screen), so dirty connector is most probably the problem.
Console is aging, even when you dont use it, contacts oxidize, capacitors dry out or worse - they leak.
Clean with alcohol and cotton swabs/pads.

Tairetsu

Quote from: jpx72 on April 10, 2015, 03:48:00 am
How did you test it back then, when you havent got any games?
You have a video signal (white/blue screen), so dirty connector is most probably the problem.
Console is aging, even when you dont use it, contacts oxidize, capacitors dry out or worse - they leak.
Clean with alcohol and cotton swabs/pads.

Well,I tested it with the game it came with,but I don't know what the game is called,sorry for the error :P also I tried cleaning before and now and it still doesn't work,if it helps at all,here's a picture of what i'm getting when I turn it on.

Byron

If the cartridge and slot are clean, the next most likely thing is the AV mod itself. It would probably be something simple like a broken solder joint, so if you have a soldering iron try re-melting the solder around the mod components. That would fix any bad connections.

I'd like to give you a less technical solution, but I'm afraid there isn't one.

Tairetsu

If I had an RF cable I would try it out,just to make sure...sucks,should I be able to notice it?,I opened up the system yesterday to check that but the AV mod cables SEEMED to be in place,but since I'm not an expert I could not really say if they were properly connected or not,they just seemed to be firmly on their place.

80sFREAK

Clean the slot, clean the cart, try another cart. Video out is ok, just CPU don't want to start.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Tairetsu

I tried all of that already,if the CPU does not want to start how do I fix that? :P

80sFREAK

Try 240 grit sandpaper and check if pins in the slot are fine. Next step i s to check soldering on the pcb
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy