Game Recommendations?

Started by pachipuri, April 05, 2015, 05:42:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pachipuri

Hi everyone!
I see there's a sales section of the forum so I wasn't sure where to post this as it's technically not a WTB right now. I'll make a separate post later for that.
I received my first Famicom in the mail about a week ago and now I am looking for some more games to buy for it.  I've been looking at lists of Famicom titles but I'd prefer recommendations from people who've actually played the games as my Japanese ability isn't too great so that's something I have to factor in.
All I have so far are Binary land and Adventure Island which I am really enjoying.
Usually I prefer to play "cutsey" puzzle games (games like Puyo Puyo,  Bubble Bobble etc) or platform games to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Outside of Famicom I do enjoy RPGs but the language barrier here obviously rules them out. I do also know how to play Mahjong and quite enjoy it ;)

Ghegs

Quote from: pachipuri on April 05, 2015, 05:42:02 pmUsually I prefer to play "cutsey" puzzle games (games like Puyo Puyo,  Bubble Bobble etc) or platform games to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Sounds like the two Solomon's Key games might be right up your alley. The first game is a relatively accurate arcade port, but the sequel (released as Fire 'n Ice in US) is exclusive to NES/Famicom and eschews traditional arcade rules like lives and credits. They have different game mechanics too, so I'd recommend trying them both out.

There's also the Adventure of Lolo / Eggerland games which are top-down puzzle games, you might like those as well.

UglyJoe

Ochin ni Toshi Puzzle Tonjan!? is a good puzzle game that mixes Sokoban and Mahjong.

Moai-kun is a great Konami puzzle game with minor platforming elements to it.

synt4x

If you like Tetris I can recommend Tetris 2 + Bombliss. It's easily the best Tetris on the NES/FC.
Another puzzle game I thought of right now is Babel no Tou. I haven't played it myself yet, but ever since I saw it on Gamecenter CX I've been meaning to get it. Oh and Quinty is also pretty good.

As for platformers, there's the usual suspects like Kid Dracula, the Wai Wai World games, and Kyatto Ninden Teyandee. They're also all pretty cutesy. :)
And speaking of cutesy games, Hello Kitty World is both a very cute game and also a pretty nice FC port of the Game Boy game Balloon Kid.

Other than that, you can't go wrong with pretty much anything by Konami.

pachipuri

Thanks everyone for your help :)
I'm keeping a Word Document with games I'd like to get so I'll add these to the list.
Good call on Hello Kitty btw, I actually collect Sanrio merchandise too.

Nightstar699

Then I'd recommend going for Kero Kero Keroppi No Daibouken 2, a platformer, and great Sanrio game.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nurd

cant go wrong with mario bros 3 :v

i'm mainly in it for the cute platformers/puzzle games too

Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula-kun
, Hoshi no Kirby, and whatever duck tales is called are all great adventure/platforming games

Tetris and bubble bobble are all I know for puzzle games, dr mario is pretty cheap last time I checked too. Maybe Warios Woods?

Felix The Cat is excellent and there's usually a pirate copy on ebay around 10-15 dollars

Don Doko Don 2 is decent as well, I think its sometimes  called mario bros 8?

the wagyan land games are cute but I think they have some weird trivia-gameshow style boss fights that require a bit of reading or a guide

nerdynebraskan

Babel no Tou is really good. Also, if you're into the Sanrio stuff there's also the Hello Kitty platformer Hello Kitty no Hanabatake (Hello Kitty Flower Garden). You jump around watering your planters until flowers bloom. And if the enemies get too close to you, you whack 'em with your watering can. Can't go wrong with that.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

BaconBitsKing

Lode Runner and Clu Clu Land are great puzzle games.

Byron

Yume Penguin Monogatari

Best cute platformer ever.

Zycrow

Binary Land and Door Door are a couple of good action-puzzlers. Definitely cute to the max.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18