Looking for someone who can repair this in the US

Started by tico481, May 12, 2015, 09:27:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tico481

Hey guys, I posted my problem a good bit ago and received a good bit of advice from everyone but was unable to resolve the issue.  My issue is that my Famicom games load without trouble every time I plug them in but the pixels are out of place in every game, just a few pixels that is.  I have an adapter to play my famicom games on my NES and they take a good bit of effort to get to actually load, but my problem is fixed.  I'm willing to send my system off for repair because all my retro game shops recommend A/V modding it which I absolutely don't want to do, or buy another.  Here are some pics, which I know are hooked up to a non CRT TV but the problem is duplicated on both TV sets so that's not my issue. 

zmaster18

Perhaps you already tried this, but clean inside your cartridge slot on the Famicom? It seems like maybe just 1 pin in your slot is dirty, and the CHR data is getting a bit scrambled? I recommend using a metal file to lightly scrape off corrosion inside your slot. This works like a charm for me, I can't recommend it enough.  :)

DollaBill

Quote from: zmaster18 on May 13, 2015, 04:04:54 am
Perhaps you already tried this, but clean inside your cartridge slot on the Famicom? It seems like maybe just 1 pin in your slot is dirty, and the CHR data is getting a bit scrambled? I recommend using a metal file to lightly scrape off corrosion inside your slot. This works like a charm for me, I can't recommend it enough.  :)

This would work, but I don't like the risk of bending or breaking pins with a metal file.

Using something softer than the pins and the plastic holding them in is the key to doing this without breaking anything.  Go to the hardware store and buy some 200 grit sandpaper and a can of compressed air.  Wrap the sandpaper around an old credit card, and insert it into the Famicoms cart slot until you can look down in it and see the pins shine.  Spray it out with the compressed air and you should be in game town.

tico481

Thanks for the advice.  All of the pins appear to be in pristine shape but I did clean them up again just to try it out.  Same problem however, could it be that I need a new pin connector?

xIceMan

Why buy a new one when you can just repair it yourself: Link

Did this with my NES consoles as well, sadly a little too tight but it works well!

tico481

I did this method with no success, the problem with the Famicom is that the pin connector is soldered to the motherboard and I'm guessing one or two pins have a bad connection to the MB.  Other people have also suggested it's the video chip that is causing the problem but I have no way of knowing with my little experience.