April 28, 2024, 09:02:51 am

Gaming pet-peeves

Started by zmaster18, May 25, 2015, 01:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

As gamers, we all definitely have minor annoyances that are gaming-related. For example, when noobs think that Link is called Zelda.

One of mine is when people call PS1 games PSX. PSX is a totally different system, which actually plays PS2 games. I don't even know where people got that from :P

UglyJoe

I haven't heard this one recently, but growing up I would hear a lot of kids say they "beat the game" when all they had done was finish the first level.  I have no idea where their definition of "beat" came from.

Quote from: zmaster18 on May 25, 2015, 01:00:34 pm
One of mine is when people call PS1 games PSX. PSX is a totally different system, which actually plays PS2 games. I don't even know where people got that from :P

Not as nonsensical to me as Game Cube Nintendo (GCN).

L___E___T

PSX and GCN are the platform codes that were used by retailers.  Not sure where GCN came from as such (you'd expect it to be NGC), but it used to irritate me as well.

My pet peeve?  Slow intros.  Let me into the game dammit!  You even find these in some retro games and they are infuriating.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

zmaster18

Quote from: L___E___T on May 25, 2015, 01:42:40 pm
My pet peeve?  Slow intros.  Let me into the game dammit!  You even find these in some retro games and they are infuriating.

I agree. I tried playing Golden Sun on GBA...the intro was an hour long. I generally don't like RPG's though.

The GCN thing is a little odd, but I was always just used to it and never questioned it. NGC sounds weird to me. GC is also a good abbreviation.

nerdynebraskan

People who pronounce NES as "ness" and SNES as "sness." N-E-S and S-N-E-S, people!
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

zmaster18

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on May 25, 2015, 03:11:18 pm
People who pronounce NES as "ness" and SNES as "sness." N-E-S and S-N-E-S, people!

Haha I actually do that! Sorry I annoy you  :P

L___E___T

Actually, that irritates me even more when people call it "EssEnnEEeeEzz" etc.  Just say "SNEZZ"!  You may as well say the full name, I can say Super Nintendo and Super NES faster than S-N-E-S
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

zmaster18

Quote from: L___E___T on May 25, 2015, 03:55:00 pm

Actually, that irritates me even more when people call it "EssEnnEEeeEzz" etc.  Just say "SNEZZ"!  You may as well say the full name, I can say Super Nintendo and Super NES faster than S-N-E-S

Kinda have to agree. Sometimes I call NES N-E-S. I never call SNES S-N-E-S though. Anybody call Famicom Family Computer? I do sometimes, but usually just say Famicom.

Jedi Master Baiter

https://youtu.be/dOExbu1mBpE?t=16s

Quote from: zmaster18 on May 25, 2015, 02:13:46 pm
I agree. I tried playing Golden Sun on GBA...the intro was an hour long. I generally don't like RPG's though.

But that's a good game! :'( Still agree with you, though. Mega Man Battle Network games did the same thing, too.

I say Super N-E-S... which contains the same amount of syllables as Super Nintendo. But I like the way it flows out of my mouth better.

zmaster18

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on May 25, 2015, 04:47:00 pm

https://youtu.be/dOExbu1mBpE?t=16s

Quote from: zmaster18 on May 25, 2015, 02:13:46 pm

But that's a good game! :'( Still agree with you, though. Mega Man Battle Network games did the same thing, too.

I say Super N-E-S... which contains the same amount of syllables as Super Nintendo. But I like the way it flows out of my mouth better.

I agree Golden Sun is a good game. But when you're in the mood to start it up again, that intro kills the buzz. Sometimes I say Super NES.

Does 'DS Phat' bother anyone? As in the original DS?

I also don't like when people say May-ree-oh. It's Mah-ree-oh.

I HATE when people call Lakitu Lah-keee-too. It's pronounced Lah-kih-too. Many people butcher the pronunciation of Mario characters.

MaxXimus

I always say NESS but I call the Super Nintendo S NESS, not sness.

hvc01

the correct pronunciation of the letter s is s its not z. if it was supposed to be nez or snez the would have spelled it that way. i mean you don't say fishez its fishes.

Protoman

Knock-back physics like in Ninja Gaiden, Metroid and such
One hit kills

...And Bane's voice in Dark Knight Returns. Not game-related but I wanted to get that off my chest

L___E___T

May 26, 2015, 02:47:44 am #13 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:09:13 am by L___E___T
Quote from: hvc01 on May 25, 2015, 09:44:02 pm
the correct pronunciation of the letter s is s its not z. if it was supposed to be nez or snez the would have spelled it that way. i mean you don't say fishez its fishes.

You're kidding right?  In Kinetic terms, yes we absolutely do say "Fishizz" - say it out loud, no-one says 'Fishiss" :D

Abbreviations aren't subject to the same kinds of rules you'd find across English - hence why some people pronounce the abbreviation as a noun in its own right and others use the sounds of the actual words.

However, I'm not trying to be an ass :D I'm not one of those fanatics.

Jedi I managed about 3 secs into that video before rage-quitting.  What the hell.

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

liquidco2

For me it has to be the sega people who are set in their ways saying mega drive is a better system because of "blast processing" from what I've read it was a marketing think from usa. Really annoys me "

"yeah but the mega drive has blast processing" which is sometimes followed by
"Sega do what nintendont"

Personally I like both systems (snes/Md) and I just don't understand the mentality of it.