April 28, 2024, 11:53:42 am

Gaming pet-peeves

Started by zmaster18, May 25, 2015, 01:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

Quote from: Zycrow on July 21, 2015, 05:53:10 am
Quote from: zxin on July 19, 2015, 11:20:15 am
Personally?  I hate it when people say Po-ker-mon or Poke-E-mon, it's Poh-kay-mon.

Whassat? Some a them Poke-uh-man cards??

I say Poke-uh-mon. Poke-eh-mon is my second choice. Poke-eee-mon sounds dumb.

I hate when people call Ryu from Street Fighter Rye-you. It's Ree-yu.

Also hate when noobs think that Kirby in Smash Bros is also a Pokemon.

Zycrow

Imma make some ray-men noodles and play me some ninja gay-den.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

zmaster18

Quote from: Zycrow on July 21, 2015, 12:25:42 pm
Imma make some ray-men noodles and play me some ninja gay-den.

I hate when people say Ninja Gay-den. It's wrong!!!!!!!!! FamiCON??? It's FamiCOM

Protoman

I hate when people say Mario like "Mary-o"...

But my biggest pet peeve, with retro gaming at least, is one-hit-kills.

P

It's [Po ke mo n] and first "o" has identical qualities as the second "o". They both sounds like the "a" in the word "all" just a bit shorter (same goes for Mario). Everything else sounds dumb. :)

In dubbed street fighter anime they pronounce Ryu as Raiyu (which is of course not even close). I guess that's where the weird pronunciations came from.

M-Tee

July 21, 2015, 08:22:20 pm #65 Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:57:44 pm by M-Tee
Getting upset that people from different cultures mispronounce loan words and foreign names is a pretty culturally insensitive thing to do.  Especially considering that:
  • many of the words were not accompanied by any official audio for the first few years of their introduction
  • when "official" audio did hit, it often contradicted itself
  • even famous historical figures, geo-political entities, and celebrities have drastically different pronunciations in different languages and even dialects.

How do you pronounce Van Gogh? Because, unless you're Dutch or South African, I doubt it's the same way he would have. I also doubt he would have pronounced your name the same way you do. So no harm, no foul.

Maybe it's working in a heavily international office setting for the last 5 years, but I always find these "OMG, you're pronouncing it wrong!" conversations to be rather tiresome.

Zycrow

Quote from: M-Tee on July 21, 2015, 08:22:20 pm
Maybe it's working in a heavily international office setting with for the last 5 years, but I always find these "OMG, you're pronouncing it wrong!" conversations to be rather tiresome.

A guy I know would always correct people pronouncing Genghis Khan the way most people (starting with a hard "G"), insisting on the "correct" way (starting with a "J" sound).

He may have been right but he wasn't much fun to be around
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

zxin

Quote from: zmaster18 on July 21, 2015, 06:59:22 am
Also hate when noobs think that Kirby in Smash Bros is also a Pokemon.
Oh. My. God.

Quote from: P on July 21, 2015, 03:08:10 pm
It's [Po ke mo n] and first "o" has identical qualities as the second "o". They both sounds like the "a" in the word "all" just a bit shorter (same goes for Mario). Everything else sounds dumb. :)
"Pokémon (ポケモン Pokemon?, /ˈpoʊkeɪmɒn/ poh-kay-mon)"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon
I *think that you may be mistaken.

When people call Link 'Zelda'. T_T

*You are totally wrong.
Thanks for your time,<br />~zxin

StJackie

PC gamer here... Biggest pet peeve used to be laggers..

zxin

Quote from: StJackie on July 22, 2015, 02:25:31 am
And lag. I'm also a PC gamer, but retro consoles are cool.
Thanks for your time,<br />~zxin

StJackie

Quote from: zxin on July 22, 2015, 02:27:27 am
Quote from: StJackie on July 22, 2015, 02:25:31 am
And lag. I'm also a PC gamer, but retro consoles are cool.

Well lag is more like hell :)

P

July 22, 2015, 04:28:31 am #71 Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:33:47 am by P
Quote from: zxin on July 22, 2015, 01:56:48 am
Quote from: P on July 21, 2015, 03:08:10 pm
"Pokémon (ポケモン Pokemon?, /ˈpoʊkeɪmɒn/ poh-kay-mon)"
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon
I *think that you may be mistaken.

Nope Wikipedia is mistaken. :) Or actually they probably just included the common North American pronunciation as an alternative to the original Japanese pronounciation.
ポケモン (in Japanese) is not pronounced /ˈpoʊkeɪmɒn/ but /pokemon/.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Japanese

UglyJoe

The Japanese pronunciation certainly sounds like "poh" to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrbpqs11gw  ;D

P

July 22, 2015, 11:23:09 am #73 Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:35:52 am by P
I don't know how poh is pronounced but it sounds like po (no diphthong) to me.

It's not Reeyu either actually. There's no vowel in-between the consonants R and Y. Depending on your mother tongue it may feel a bit awkward to say though (it was for me until I got used to it).

UglyJoe

Quote from: P on July 22, 2015, 11:23:09 am
I don't know how poh is pronounced but it sounds like po (no diphthong) to me.

I meant it like the "po" that's in the word "poker".  You had said earlier: "They both sounds like the "a" in the word "all" just a bit shorter", which doesn't seem right to me for a Japanese "po" ("pa", yes, but not "po").  I'm starting to think I missed a joke somewhere :-[

Quote from: zxin on July 19, 2015, 11:20:15 am
Never heard 'DS Phat' before, sounds kind-of dumb, like calling the Xbox One the X-Bone. (Which sounds wrong on so many levels.)

I call it "DS Phat' since saying "the original DS" has a diluted meaning now that there are so many DS/3DS models.  I think it was originally just a sort of antonym for "DS Lite".  Not sure why it took on the "phat" spelling instead of the "fat" spelling.

I totally called him Rye-you growing up.  I say Ree-yu  (technically Ryu, like P said) now, but I'll occasionally still call him Rye-you depending on who I'm playing it with.