Cover your loose FC/SNES/NES carts for cheap - save from dust - repro covers

Started by aarkay14, June 06, 2015, 06:44:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

aarkay14

Hi All,

EDIT/APPEND

Please add your orders on the link below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13wM2FzIlHC10Z_l16xEjORIDjBFoSbiaFvHwGgn2K6g/edit?usp=sharing

Please play fair.. I will update the status of the request on the same sheet.. This will help me manage the requests..

----------------------

This is just small project I have taken up to save all my loose FC / NES from dust and bumps. The results are awesome and I am ready to offer this as a service to all who need it.
Please see the result of my first creation below:
=== Samples

===

This is a SnugFit FC cart cover for Akumajou Densetsu :

(I was just feeling to lazy to get my original cart)

I will send the cover to you in single sheet of paper as in the first image, you can cut it with scissors and form it yourself.
It is a Super white card paper which is laser printed in high quality + soft plastic lamination on both sides.

Cost Breakout: (Revised)

Famicom Snug fit (the one pictured above) = 2.60 USD / Sheet + shipping from Japan.
Famicom Original fit (the one where you have the clear plastic cart holder inside the box) = 2.80 USD / Sheet + shipping from Japan

NES Snug Fit (Pictures soon) = 2.70 USD / Sheet + shipping from Japan.
NES Original Fit (This one is a little bigger) = 4.70 USD / Sheet + shipping from Japan.

SNES/SFC Snug Fit (Pictures Soon) = 2.70 USD / Sheet + shipping from Japan.

You can also send me your custom templates in any size if you wanna get them printed also for other game carts.

Please let me know what you think... your comments will motivate me.
--

EDIT: Ready to Print
Lickle - SnugFit:

Contra - SnugFit

Gimmick! - SnugFit

L___E___T

Quick question - how do glue the box together if both sides are laminated?  Overall I think it's an interesting idea. 
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

aarkay14

I use local super glue.. works well.. you can use any industrial adhesive...

Post Merge: June 06, 2015, 06:46:26 pm

I am sorry I had made a calculation mistake and realized I was not even covering the cost of the production. Revised the prices for the same. Apologies.

fcgamer

So these basically look like reproduction boxes, from what I can tell, and for some games the size that you are using would basically be 1:1 with the original box.  Material and texture may be different, but from a quick glance on an ebay auction or what not, just seems like the exact thing we don't need to be dealing with.  Call me pessimistic if you like.

If you need protection from dust, I recommend plastic baggies.  I am not sure about other places, but where I live, you can get them from hobbyist shops and what not for quite cheap, and they will keep the dust out.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

aarkay14

hvc01

You may get more people interested with a generic famicom label and the cart name on the spine. May be less expensive to manufacture also. Similar to the disc system sleeves. Just a thought. :)

number47

Fcgamer is right - these boxes are nice help for CIB and repro-CIB scammers.
I have said it before - I prefer SMB style plastic cases that resemble magnetic cassette case.

kevkevkev

These are nice. Will buy a couple. They are smaller so a scammer would blow them up and the resolution would be shit.

Post Merge: June 07, 2015, 10:28:51 pm

Oh missed the other size. Yeah thats risky for scammers. But i'm in.

Ghegs

This is the sort of the stuff I'd like to see completely prohibited from the forums. Though I'm sure the original intention is good, these are just fuel for scammers.

I use Minigrip bags myself for my few loose carts, one of the smaller bags is just perfect for normal FC carts.

gorgyrip

I don't collect loose carts, but I like the idea. Plus they are cheap.I don't know how someone can be scammed, you can clearly see the difference. They are laminated and the original ones aren't. Also it's hard to cut them perfectly. 

L___E___T

Just to throw an idea out there - what if the artwork was different?  For example the back cover or spine had a massive difference on, like a couple of screenshots instead of all the back of box artwork and text?

I think the snug fit idea is interesting (though I use bags and official carry cases myself), so it would be good if there was some solution to make this less controversial.

Just thoughts, no official mod stance as yet.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

kevkevkev

L___E___T

Small what - boxes?  They're already small and it's a problem for some in the community.

Those who have issues please speak up - what would make these fine in your eyes, while still keeping them attractive (let's all assume here that a bland uniform UGC design is not attractive).

Yes baggies work and carry cases work, but there's something nice about small little boxes like erasers have - they're compact and still feel somewhat boxed.

While I appreciate that a direct 1:1 artwork copy cold potentially be used by scammers - I think if you reduced the similarity a bit it would bypass those concerns and you'd still have a nice look.

I think having a standardised approach like FDS games ruins it though - you lose all the variation and unique branding across games, which is part of what makes Famicom more fun than NES.

For example, this looks nice:

While this looks bland:

http://minus.com/lbippHnEszZ8Wm
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

^ Off-topic but whose beautiful SFC collection is that?

But yeah, there's no reason why these covers have to look identical to the official boxes for these games, I can only see that as doing more harm than good. Would it hurt to put something like "cart cover" (or however you'd label them) somewhere on the front, like having the word "reproduction" on a repro cart? Or as L_E_T suggested, just making custom artwork and printing that on them. Just something to set them apart from the boxes.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nabbeth

Every box art has a place for the barcode on it.
How about just replacing these barcodes with a "Reproduction box" tag?