Famicom QDC ( manufactured FDSLoaderSaver )

Started by zmaster18, July 09, 2015, 01:47:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

So today I was researching a bunch of stuff about FDSLoaderSaver, and I realized it would be such a pain to actually make one myself. Then I saw that kitahei88 has made a manufactured version called QDC.

It seems he sells these boards or kits for about $50? I can't read Japanese, and when I use translate on Google the webpage doesn't load properly. Does anyone want to find out more information about this? I would totally get this and I'm willing to pay a lot for this device!

P

I'm very interested but now Loopy is working on a similar and cheaper device so I'm probably waiting for that instead. It's USB and only needs to connect to a computer to write FDS images to it (unlike the original FDSloader), and it can store up to 8 disk sides (there's no game that uses more than 4 sides to my knowledge). The first batch of hand-made units are sold out but he is working on a bigger batch now.

It also has RAM Adapter capabilities and can write and read real FDS disks just like FDSloader if connected to a FDS disk drive, but you need to make the disk drive cable yourself. Hopefully someone will make 3D-printed cable heads.

Only problem I see with it, is that you can't write back the FDS images to your computer yet (so you can't safekeep your save files on your computer yet) but it sounds like he is going to fix that in a firmware update (you update via USB).

ImATrackMan

I actually bought one and it's currently at the New York sorting facility (should be here tomorrow or wednesday). All you have to do is send him an email asking about it, and he'll be happy to ship one to you.

I'll write up how to use it once it gets here (and I'll more than likely post a video to youtube)

waterclocker

This looks really cool!  It would be nice to have an easy plug and play way to fix some of my FDS games.  Looking forward to more information on it  :)

ericj

FDSStick is the one Loopy worked on: http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/NES/FDSStick/

Tomy from Tototek said he'd be selling it when it's back in stock.

P

Here's the thread http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12163#p142730

Tomy also made some modifications of the program used to write FDS images to the stick. It's now possible to backup save data, and write back images to PC. They can be found in the above thread.

zmaster18

So kitahei88 does speak english and can easily be contacted. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get, QDC or FDSStick. I like how the QDC will come with the cable I need to get it hooked up. FDSStick requires me to make a cable. But FDSStick allows me to have 8 disk sides pre-loaded. It's not that important to have the games pre-loaded since I mainly just want to re-write disks. The most important thing to me is the interface. I like how QDC has the LCD screen, LEDs, and buttons on the unit. I also have my FDS on my disk right next to my computer so that's convenient for me. 

P

The cable you need to make is only if you want to dump or rewrite disks. For running FDS images you only need the stick (and RAM Adapter of course). Hopefully Tomy will start making them. But yeah QDC is optionally sold with all needed cables.

The interface of the two devices seems very similar. The main difference seems to be the LCD of the QDC. The FDSStick has a green and red LED that blinks when writing and reading. The one pushbutton is used to change side, and it's number of presses is absolute as to which side to switch to. So you always press three times to go to side 3 no matter on what side you are at.

The fact that QDC requires a computer close to the Famicom (the cables can't be made too long or data loss will happen) may be more inconvenient than some might think. It was for me anyway when I experimented with FDSloader.

QDC however also supports Sharp MZ-1500 computers with Quick Disk drives.

jpx72

I got the loopy's FDS stick and it's amazing little device, works very well. No more error27, no more disks, no more broken belts :-)

ImATrackMan

July 14, 2015, 11:17:34 am #9 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:57:02 am by ImATrackMan
Alright, I got the QDC, and it's a straightforward as anything. Plug it in, the FTDI drivers install automatically.

Step 1. Download the QDC.zip folder and extract it to wherever you want
Step 2. run QDC.exe
(EDIT: step 2.1 - turn on the Famicom and click Init, It sets up the QDC and lets it know there's a drive connected)
Step 3. select DataConvert - FDS->RAW and select the file you want converted close the program
Step 4. select "Emulation", browse for the file you just converted, and click SET

Congratulations, you just loaded an FDS game onto your RAM cart.

jpx72

I thought Loopy's new Usb thingy that replaces the unreliable disk drive will cause more fuss than these few posts... Personally I think it's the best famicom contraption in the last decade. I bought  two right away just to have a substitute in case of some accident.
What do you guys think?

chowder

Quote from: jpx72 on July 21, 2015, 01:02:23 pm
I thought Loopy's new Usb thingy that replaces the unreliable disk drive will cause more fuss than these few posts... Personally I think it's the best famicom contraption in the last decade. I bought  two right away just to have a substitute in case of some accident.
What do you guys think?

I think it's great (thanks for originally sending the link by the way :)), but it's been out of stock since I learned about it.  I'll buy one or two as soon as I can!

P

Yes once we actually get them we will make more noise. Seems to be out of stock all the time and the ETA date was moved up.
Also Loopy said he is eventually going to make inject molded cases instead of the 3D-printed ones he uses now, so I'm considering waiting a bit longer (I don't have my FDS with me at the moment anyway).

zmaster18

Quote from: P on July 21, 2015, 02:51:42 pm
Yes once we actually get them we will make more noise. Seems to be out of stock all the time and the ETA date was moved up.
Also Loopy said he is eventually going to make inject molded cases instead of the 3D-printed ones he uses now, so I'm considering waiting a bit longer (I don't have my FDS with me at the moment anyway).

I'm also waiting a bit to get one of these units as I also don't have a FDS ready right now. I'll probably get one in a month or so.

jpx72

Ah thats great to hear, I believe they will be available soon, hope you all be able to get one for youselves. Loopy sure did an awesome job, only thing missing is a full feature windows GUI, but command prompt works very well.
I am surprised how Loopy thought about controlling the device with only one button. It's awesome!