FDSStick appreciation thread :)

Started by chowder, August 05, 2015, 08:22:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chowder

August 05, 2015, 08:22:47 am Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:28:20 am by chowder
The eagle has landed!

This thing is awesome, go and order one now:
http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/NES/FDSStick/

I had to make a change to the Makefile to get the fds utility to compile under Linux, but it's super simple apart from that.  Just copied a couple of disk images on to it, off to play some FDS SMB 2 now :D

L___E___T

I have one in the post :)

It holds a few FDS games at a time - but can you half complete a game, pull it off to storage and replay later?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Great Hierophant

Quote from: L___E___T on August 05, 2015, 09:18:13 am

It holds a few FDS games at a time - but can you half complete a game, pull it off to storage and replay later?

You can, yes.  You can now write an FDS image to the FDSStick and read the image back (as modified) to your PC as an FDS image. 
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

chowder

Quote from: Great Hierophant on August 05, 2015, 09:25:36 am
Quote from: L___E___T on August 05, 2015, 09:18:13 am

You can, yes.  You can now write an FDS image to the FDSStick and read the image back (as modified) to your PC as an FDS image. 

Yep, just tried it now and it worked perfectly.

This is a good read, it's about "purifying" FDS disk dumps to remove old save data etc:
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12911

NintendoKing

Oh yes! That's exactly what I've always hoped for!

Great Hierophant

Quote from: chowder on August 05, 2015, 09:30:13 am

This is a good read, it's about "purifying" FDS disk dumps to remove old save data etc:

That is definitely a very good read  ;D
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

egg_sanwich

Wow, how have I not heard of this thing till now!?

From the site:
"Device can also read/write disks from an FDS drive with an adapter cable (not included)."

Does this mean I could use this device to re-write faulty fds disks I have laying around? Has anyone tried this?

loopy

Quote from: egg_sanwich on August 05, 2015, 02:21:13 pm

From the site:
"Device can also read/write disks from an FDS drive with an adapter cable (not included)."

Does this mean I could use this device to re-write faulty fds disks I have laying around? Has anyone tried this?

Yes, you could use it to rewrite faulty disks.

egg_sanwich

Quote from: loopy on August 05, 2015, 05:40:52 pm
Yes, you could use it to rewrite faulty disks.

Awesome, I've been needing to do this for a while! So long, disk error 22!

Question to the group - not that re-writing disks has been impossible before, but do you think the accessibility of tools like these will lead to an increase in pirated disks? For example, label-less All-Night Nippon SMB disks entering the market?

ImATrackMan

Quote from: egg_sanwich on August 05, 2015, 08:02:27 pm

Question to the group - not that re-writing disks has been impossible before, but do you think the accessibility of tools like these will lead to an increase in pirated disks? For example, label-less All-Night Nippon SMB disks entering the market?

No. I have my QDC for personal-use-only and I can't get disks to read games between the two drives I have. Metroid won't write successfully at all, for example (loads fine, starting a game leads to ERR.24/26, disk never reads successfully again), so I don't think that even the minor variances in modern "properly" calibrated drives will allow non-Nintendo-written disks to load on all drives (even if all copy protection is circumvented or missing. Note that all of my non-test games load fine in both drives)

Plus I think Loopy's a smart enough guy to not sell 5 or 6 of these to some literally-who in mainland China.

egg_sanwich

Quote from: ImATrackMan on August 05, 2015, 11:31:46 pm
No. I have my QDC for personal-use-only and I can't get disks to read games between the two drives I have. Metroid won't write successfully at all, for example (loads fine, starting a game leads to ERR.24/26, disk never reads successfully again), so I don't think that even the minor variances in modern "properly" calibrated drives will allow non-Nintendo-written disks to load on all drives (even if all copy protection is circumvented or missing. Note that all of my non-test games load fine in both drives)

Interesting, I was unaware that there was a significant difference. Good to know.

Quote from: ImATrackMan on August 05, 2015, 11:31:46 pm
Plus I think Loopy's a smart enough guy to not sell 5 or 6 of these to some literally-who in mainland China.

Definitely not questioning Loopy's integrity  ;D

P

This is why you shouldn't be rewriting all your disks. It's also probably a good idea to mark your rewritten disks for the future. I plan to use some bad disks I have to experiment rewriting with but I will probably use the FDSStick+RAM Adapter to play purified games on instead of rewriting old working disks.

Quote from: egg_sanwich on August 05, 2015, 02:21:13 pm

Because it's brand new!

chowder

Quote from: Great Hierophant on August 05, 2015, 12:26:57 pm
Quote from: chowder on August 05, 2015, 09:30:13 am

That is definitely a very good read  ;D

;D  Thanks for writing it.

The FDSStick is proving perfect for my needs, namely playing FDS games without relying on my working but extremely temperamental disk drive.  Looking forward to working on some dev stuff for FDS now too.  Honestly, the Famicom Disk System is without doubt the most frustrating piece of hardware I own!

Thank you loopy :)

P

Yeah hopefully we will finally start seeing some more FDS homebrew from now on. I tried before to make a minimal working FDS image that just plays some sound on the square channel. I was finally able to get the disk image to be accepted by the FDS BIOS (on an emulator) after tweaking some tweaking but sadly no sound could be heard in the end.

Koop

Since I got a working FDS I was thinking of picking this up just in case it ever bites the dust lol.

Can anyone here make the cable so I can connect it to a FDS? I have a game I bought off ebay that had the wrong game written to it, I'd love to use the FDSStick to rewrite the proper game onto the disk.