FDSStick appreciation thread :)

Started by chowder, August 05, 2015, 08:22:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

loopy

Quote from: RoryDropkick on August 05, 2016, 05:21:32 pm
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... I just got my  2nd FDSStick in and I've managed to make it work with just one disk image on the stick. However, I try to load multiple games on the stick and either it crashes on me before the menu pops up, I get the menu and it crashes when I try to move the cursor, or I select a game and get ERR. 20.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I am using the FDSStick gui loader to load my games, and honestly while I do have a good supply of my own disks, I'm using a goodrom set to load from for the games.

Hmm, strange.  Have you gotten it to work yet? What happens if you load a different set of games on it?

RoryDropkick

No luck yet. Let me see if it'll work with a different set of games. Possibly character length on each rom is the issue?

loopy

No, it shouldn't be, it'll just cut off what doesn't fit.  I'm not sure what it could be... if you can't figure it out, I can send another one.

RoryDropkick

It's got to be something with me or my computer. I gave my friend my old 128mb stick and he just got a ram adapter and it works fine. I'm using the 256 and it works with one game, but nothing with multiples. He sent me a different non goodrom set and I'm getting the same results. I'm using the front USB ports on my computer, could that have something to do with it? I feel like I'm doing something incredibly stupid somewhere down the line.

famifan

GNU/Linux users, anyone?

how do you use it?

i might be wrong on that i saw a link on github with the sources of client app a long time ago. it seems it's gone.  >:(

:help:

loopy

August 14, 2016, 10:08:11 am #95 Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:34:36 am by loopy
Quote from: RoryDropkick on August 13, 2016, 05:08:27 pm
It's got to be something with me or my computer. I gave my friend my old 128mb stick and he just got a ram adapter and it works fine. I'm using the 256 and it works with one game, but nothing with multiples. He sent me a different non goodrom set and I'm getting the same results. I'm using the front USB ports on my computer, could that have something to do with it? I feel like I'm doing something incredibly stupid somewhere down the line.

Did you have any problems with the 128M stick? It wouldn't be your USB port.  I'll send you a new one if you PM me your info.

Quote from: famifan on August 14, 2016, 09:48:44 am
GNU/Linux users, anyone?

how do you use it?

i might be wrong on that i saw a link on github with the sources of client app a long time ago. it seems it's gone.  >:(

There used to be linux software. It's severely outdated now.  I took it down almost a year ago, you are the first person to ask about it.

UglyJoe

Quote from: loopy on August 14, 2016, 10:08:11 am
There used to be linux software. It's severely outdated now.  I took it down almost a year ago, you are the first person to ask about it.

I would have asked the same question if I didn't have a spare Windows box lying around ;D

chowder

Quote from: famifan on August 14, 2016, 09:48:44 am
GNU/Linux users, anyone?

how do you use it?

i might be wrong on that i saw a link on github with the sources of client app a long time ago. it seems it's gone.  >:(

:help:

I have a Linux binary (and the source) that I use with my FDSStick.  Mine's the first-gen one though, would the console tool be compatible with the new stick too?

I can send you it if you like :)

loopy

Quote from: chowder on August 14, 2016, 01:33:30 pm
would the console tool be compatible with the new stick too?

No, it isn't.

famifan

August 15, 2016, 11:24:40 am #99 Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:45:51 am by famifan
thanks for your responses folks.

i found few clones of fdsstick over the github. and yes, they look heavily outdated.

i understand, that the author may not be having enough bandwidth to fully support the linux version, so he did abandon it just because he didn't want to disappoint anyone with unfinished app. and actually, no one asked for a linux version for nex gen fdssticks.

so, the author safely assumed that there's no need for linux version since no one asked for it yet.

ok  :) that's fine. that's always happening in the real world. it's better to concentrate all the efforts on windows version and polish it to the decent quality.

i thoroughly understand all of these points  :)

Post Merge: August 15, 2016, 11:45:51 am

Quote from: loopy on August 15, 2016, 10:30:18 am
Quote from: chowder on August 14, 2016, 01:33:30 pm
would the console tool be compatible with the new stick too?

No, it isn't.

loopy, what are you thinking about unofficial community driven linux version?

if i have the recent sources, i think i may be able to backport some missing features and/or add the support for the recent h/w versions of fdsstick. just for fun  :crazy:

at least i want it to become just useful for me.

anyway, it solely depends on the license and other distribution aspects which are fully in the author's hands  :)
if the author is willing to share the sources, then the community will be able to adapt the app  :bub:

RoryDropkick

QuoteDid you have any problems with the 128M stick? It wouldn't be your USB port.  I'll send you a new one if you PM me your info.

I did, but I just used it with one game. I ordered this one thinking maybe I would have better luck. I gave the 128MB stick to my friend as a gift, and he had absolutely no trouble with it. This is why I'm hesitant to ask for a replacement stick because it seems to be something I'm clearly doing wrong on my end. He loaded up a bunch of games, got the menu and it ran a-ok. He even sent me the romset he used and I tried the same set, and I ran into the same issues.

He has a model 2 FDS adapter, could that be the issue? The one with the rough texture. We are both using AV Famicoms.

P

Strange things have happened before with certain combinations of Famicom and RAM Adapters. Did you try it with his RAM Adapter?

RoryDropkick

Quote from: P on August 18, 2016, 12:07:43 am
Strange things have happened before with certain combinations of Famicom and RAM Adapters. Did you try it with his RAM Adapter?

He tried the 128MB with his AV Fami and Ram adapter <v2> and it seems to work just fine. He just ordered his ram adapter recently. I have a V1 <smooth texture>

loopy

August 18, 2016, 10:28:08 pm #103 Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:34:17 pm by loopy
You're right, if both fdssticks failed the same way, they're probably not the problem.  The only thing that makes sense to me is it's something with your ram adapter.  I don't think it's just a matter of V1 vs V2.  I've sold hundreds of these and nobody else has had this problem.

Single games always work for you?

P

There are several revisions of the board and the BIOS and the older ones seems less common. I have an early one (rough surface though) without the "programed by Takao Sawano" screen, FDSStick works though.

Quote from: RoryDropkick on August 18, 2016, 03:05:28 pm
Quote from: P on August 18, 2016, 12:07:43 am

He tried the 128MB with his AV Fami and Ram adapter <v2> and it seems to work just fine. He just ordered his ram adapter recently. I have a V1 <smooth texture>

I mean you could maybe try his RAM Adapter on your Famicom if possible.