AV mod service for original model Famicom

Started by o2s360, October 24, 2016, 08:27:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

o2s360

Hello all, this is my first post on this great forum and I apologize in advance if I started this topic in the wrong place even after reading the rules!  ;D

So I just bought a red/white Famicom recently and figured that aside from better video/audio quality, I would like to increase it's compatibility with US TVs by having an AV mod done to it.

I am located in the US and would therefore prefer US modders. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks!  ;D

prince tomato

just my two cents here, although you didn't ask for my opinion  :-[ i agree the ol' red and white looks really good, she is a fickle and capricious beast when it comes to video quality.
most AV modded models will have jailbars in varying degrees, ranging from visible to very visible,
and while my own AV modded models had considerably better sound quality than my clone consoles, the video quality was either on par, or worse than my $15 clones.
personally i would suggest putting the budget towards buying an AV Famicom model HVC-101, a.k.a the Japanese Toploader, it has virtually no jaibars at all, very tight RCA signal with no significant colourbleed or other issues,
and great audio.
add to that the compatibility with standard nes peripherals (even the zapper with a very simple 2-wire mod) and 3rd party controllers like the various Joycards, Sansui, Hori, etc,
and you've got a very versatile console right there.
i think most users would agree the HVC-101 is the better choice, and a lot of members here have them for sale from time to time.
also, Retrospectives has an RGB/VGA Famicomboard for sale for about $160 if i'm correct, which i personally really like for its crisp picture quality and added options.
again, just my two cents, i wish you the best of luck on your quest.

o2s360

No it's fine. Your opinion is appreciated!

Actually, I already have a toaster NES in almost pristine condition that I can play Japanese imports on with a converter but I got the red/white Famicom purely for nostalgic reasons. Playing games on the toaster... just didn't feel right at all since I grew up playing them on a Famiclone system where I lived. Therefore I opted for an old Famicom instead plus due to the bonus of expansion audio and disk system support. ;D

Now unfortunately, some TVs don't want to work with my Famicom since they don't go up to channel 95-96. Which is why I am considering this mod. :)

NintendoKing

I have both a AV Famicom and a heavily modified original Famicom. I personally use the heavily modified original Famicom because it's classic look is superior even if it has less then perfect video signal.

o2s360

Yeah, the video quality and the jailbars don't really bother me too much. It's part of the nostalgia for me since my Famiclone had the jailbars too. :P My primary concern is just being able to play the system on TVs that don't have channel 95-96 since I plan on getting a CRT sometime in the near future which is why I want the AV mod. I don't wanna buy a bulky old VCR since I don't have the space for it! :(

prince tomato

in that case an AV modded Fami will do just fine indeed.  ;D
and you are correct, this is a great forum.
the buy/sell threads are very helpful, i've found and traded a lot of hard to find games and consoles there with the folks that make this forum great,
and the tech assistance thread is full of very useful hints and tips.
welcome aboard!

o2s360

Yes the guides are great over here. I just wish I was savvy enough to understand how to mod the Famicom on my own so that I could do much more to it than just an AV mod. But I have never been near a soldering iron (yet) and don't even want to go near the thing with a Philip's head screwdriver since it took me a while to get a model with good shell color. Most of them on ebay look like someone peed on them lol.

Anyway getting back to topic, I'm still in need of a modder!  ;D

Pikkon

I can do it,just need to check if I have all of the parts.

Last one I modded I added a 3.5mm av jack and also extended the controller wires as there to damn short.

o2s360

That set up sounds perfect and is exactly what I want! ;D

The controller wires are a true pain. I have to put the system on my lap and 2 player play is out of the question the way my living room is set up. I just didn't know it was possible so that'd be a great addition to the av mod.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon once you have confirmed that you have the parts! :)

Syco54645

Quote from: Pikkon on October 25, 2016, 06:16:20 pm
I can do it,just need to check if I have all of the parts.

Last one I modded I added a 3.5mm av jack and also extended the controller wires as there to damn short.

I am considering extending my controller cords or simply adding NES ports from a extension cord. Have you had any luck sourcing the player 2 connector from inside the console? Id prefer not to cut the cord or solder directly to the controller port. Perhaps I can use a small molex adapter instead to create an adapter. The player 1 is just a snes/sfc controller connector for the controller board which I have a few spares of.
Also what is the preferred method of  AV modding these days? And is it reversible? I keep going back and forth on NESRGB and just composite. NESRGB would  be nice because I would get S-Video which is what the rest of my consoles are using however I do not think I am willing to give up the eject function...