NES Satellite / Famicom P3+

Started by SeanOrange, January 04, 2016, 06:05:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanOrange

Preliminary findings:

Wit's
-Four player works great!
-HORI adapter in 4P mode duplicates players 1 and 2 on the first two controllers, hardwired controllers still usable

Bomberman II
-Three players works as expected in Battle Mode
-2P versus 4P mode on HORI adapter makes no difference; only a controller in the P1 position will work (in any game mode.) Functions the same as if the adapter weren't used at all.
-In Normal mode, all three controllers can control P1

Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club Soccer Edition
-2P only
-EXP control P1 (in any mode on HORI adapter)
-Surprisingly, HORI adapter P2 duplicates hardwired P2 as well. This is the first instance I've heard of where this has happened in a non-3P+ game

Bikkuri Nekkestu Shinkiroku
-4P, two alternating (P1 vs P2, and P3 vs P4)
-Uses P1 to control P1/P3, and P2 to control P2/P4
-HORI adapter duplicates P1/P2
-2P/4P switch does not work

Nekkestu Kakutou Densetsu
-4-player simultaneous battle mode
-HORI adapter switch does not work at all; P3/P4 only work on first two ports
-P3 and P4 control P1 and P2 in 1-2P story mode

Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club
-Simultaneous 4P
-HORI adapter switch does not work at all; P3/P4 only work on first two ports

US Championship V'Ball
-All in English
-4P simultaneous
-2P/4P switch works

Nekketsu Hockey Club (etc)
-Has a 4P battle mode, but...
-1P/3P and (I assume) 2P/4P alternating
-Even so, you HAVE to use the 3rd (and I assume 4th) player to control the opposing team. Using P2 does not work
-There is a 2P mode where you only use P1 and P2. P3 and P4 replicate P1/2 in that case
-2P/4P switch does not work

Downtown Nekketsu Koshinkyoku
-4P simultaneous
-2P/4P switch works

Rockman 5
-P3 mirrors P1

Super Mario USA
-Confirmed EXP port does not work at all

SMB
-P3 mirrors P1
~Sean(Orange)

P

January 23, 2016, 02:18:40 am #16 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:14:36 pm by P
Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club Soccer Edition
-Surprisingly, HORI adapter P2 duplicates hardwired P2 as well. This is the first instance I've heard of where this has happened in a non-3P+ game

Try it in SMB. P2 should duplicate con II if it works like a normal expansion port splitter.

QuoteSMB
-P3 mirrors P1

Hmm what is this? Suddenly only P3 works? In other games (Bomberman II and Nekketsu games) the P1 duplicates the hardwired con I right? Or was that a typo?

Other than that, everything makes perfect sense. P1/P2 is the same as Expansion Controller 1 and 2, and P3/P4 is only used in games that specifically support the adapter. US Championship V'Ball seems to support this. Is this the same game as Super Spike V'Ball, not released on Famicom? Edit: Oops it was released on Famicom.

SeanOrange

January 23, 2016, 08:46:49 am #17 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 08:00:05 am by SeanOrange
I'm confused why you're confused about the SMB thing, hahaha.

Post Merge: January 23, 2016, 11:11:27 am

More updates:

SMB
-P4 also controls P2

Duck Hunt
-Light Gun doesn't work on any port of the adapter. I'm guessing the right pins aren't passing through.
-But P3 and P4 control P1 and P2 -- you can control the ducks from the adapter!
-As expected, the 2P/4P switch does nothing

JJ
-3D System doesn't work in the adapter (no surprise)
-BUT, the adapter for the 3D System has a passthrough, and this was the first time I was able to try it. The 4 Players Adaptervworks great!
-P3 controls P1

Post Merge: January 24, 2016, 08:00:05 am

Quote from: P on January 23, 2016, 02:18:40 am
QuoteSMB
-P3 mirrors P1

Hmm what is this? Suddenly only P3 works? In other games (Bomberman II and Nekketsu games) the P1 duplicates the hardwired con I right? Or was that a typo?

Okay, I think I understand where I was unclear.

In Battle Mode, which accepts up to three players, each controller (1-3) only controls one character.  P4 doesn't work at all.

In the one-player story mode, all three controllers.

I didn't even occur to me to try P4 on SMB, so I'm glad you said somethings, or I would have missed it.
~Sean(Orange)

P

QuoteOkay, I think I understand where I was unclear.

In Battle Mode, which accepts up to three players, each controller (1-3) only controls one character.  P4 doesn't work at all.

In the one-player story mode, all three controllers.

I see, they all control player 3, while player 1 and 2 needs the hardwired controllers.

So it's P3 and P4 that works like Exp con 1 and 2 respectively, not P1 and P2. It's puzzling though why P1 and P2 works in some games.

SeanOrange

EXP 1 controls Player 1 in the story mode, but so does P2. It's only in Battle Mode where each of those controllers actually controls a different character.
~Sean(Orange)

Gruixeeeeet

Is Hori 4P adapter necessary in the games that Hori 4P switch works? Or... is it possible to play 4P mode in these games with Hori Twin adapter or Hal JoyPair?

EDIT: Has anyone played "Nekketsu Soccer League" (~Kunio Soccer 2) with the Hori 4P adapter? Does the switch work?
Now plugged:
FC AV, NES, SNES, N64 & GC
MD & DC
PS2
NG AES
Non-classic: NS & PS5

P

The few games that support the Hori adapter seems to support the standard multitaps as well.

I'd guess Nekketsu Soccer League uses the standard multitap like all other Kunio-kun games. But I haven't tried it.