Famicom 8 Bit Music Power

Started by Yodd, February 04, 2016, 06:58:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

muckyfingers

Quote from: mfm on February 17, 2016, 11:35:50 pm
Quote from: muckyfingers on February 17, 2016, 02:59:05 pm
They are using pirate boards with 3.3v tolerant flash chips, without voltage shifters. Which I'm sure is causing issues on many NES/Famicom systems since the systems supply 5v to all carts.

http://imgur.com/a/F2WMH/all

Isn't the TD33B in your pictures a regulator down to 3.3V?

Right, but a voltage regulator is not the same as a voltage level shifter. The regulator does supply 3.3v to the chip, but the NES/Famicom uses 5v logic, so the chip is still being fed 5v from the NES/Famicom on the address lines when it is being accessed by the NES/Famicom.

mfm

Quote from: muckyfingers on February 18, 2016, 04:24:51 am
Right, but a voltage regulator is not the same as a voltage level shifter. The regulator does supply 3.3v to the chip, but the NES/Famicom uses 5v logic, so the chip is still being fed 5v from the NES/Famicom on the address lines when it is being accessed by the NES/Famicom.

I see, thanks for the clarification. I was close to spending $54 + import taxes on a copy from ebay but now I doubt I will.

fcgamer

Mine doesn't work on my Twin Famicom, and mine is one of the black and green ones.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

chowder

They really don't look very well made...

UglyJoe

https://twitter.com/Xymiem/status/693814197507870720

Someone who can read Japanese should verify this first, but it looks like you can tape over pin 32 on the cart and then it will work (with garbled graphics) on other consoles.

chowder

Pin 32 is M2.  From:  http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/CPU_pin_out_and_signal_description

QuoteM2 : Can be considered as a "signals ready" pin. It is a modified version the 6502's φ2 (which roughly corresponds to the CPU input clock φ0) that allows for slower ROMs. CPU cycles begin at the point where M2 goes low.

In the NTSC 2A03, M2 has a duty cycle of 5/8th, or 350ns/559ns. Equivalently, a CPU read (which happens during the second, high phase of M2) takes 1 and 7/8th PPU cycles. The internal φ2 duty cycle is exactly 1/2 (one half).
   In the PAL 2A07, the duty cycle is not known, but suspected to be 19/32.

Could that mean it's related to the speed of the ROM chip(s)?

muckyfingers

I checked out the twitter link, possible "fix"?

ImATrackMan

February 18, 2016, 10:31:24 pm #22 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:50:01 pm by ImATrackMan
Quote from: jorygriffis on February 16, 2016, 09:28:15 pm
For some reason mine doesn't work on my famicom but it does work on some clones I have lying around. I've read (google-translated) accounts of it not working on some hardware runs... anyone else here have this issue?
It killed my first famicom (blew the PPU) and doesn't work on the replacement.

L___E___T

It BROKE your Famicom??  Sheesh no way am I chucking one of these in now.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Arasoi

Got mine in today. General quality (externally, anyway) is OK. I think too little for the money. The pcb is a mess, as many have mentioned. I had a friend who makes reproduction carts look over some photos of the pcb and he confirmed it isn't laid out well at all. It seems to use a weird pirate cart mapper that is a variant of MMC3, which would line up with the low build quality in general. I can confirm it works fine without modification in a Sharp AN505-RD Twin Famicom with an NESRGB pcb installed.

On the subject of the actual software, it is pretty interesting, the music tracks are fun and varied. the artwork and games are OK, nothing special - standard moe/loli stuff you see these days for the art, simple minigames for the games. I think it's something best suited for hardcore famicom enthusiasts like the folks around here, not for casuals.

ImATrackMan

February 20, 2016, 11:58:45 am #25 Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:13:42 pm by ImATrackMan
Quote from: Arasoi on February 20, 2016, 10:31:45 amIt seems to use a weird pirate cart mapper that is a variant of MMC3.

Makes sense considering it seems to be heavily based on Kira Kira Star Night's engine, which at initial release was TK/TSROM

On a side note, NSF RIP when?

RoryDropkick

I got mine at the beginning of the month, it works fine on my AV Famicom with NesRGB mod. I was pretty pleased with it but I am surprised at how many issues people are having with it.

Arasoi

It's possible to run this game somewhat inaccurately dumped as MMC3 assigned as mapper 118/TKROM. Graphical glitches will pop up. I only wanted to get it running on my powerpak due to the cart's poor build quality, but with it running OK on my AN-505RD I'll probably just use the original cart.

I don't really have the skills to create an NSF file, I'm not sure if I'd want to if I could (just as I won't share the rom) due to this still being a commercial product.

ImATrackMan

February 20, 2016, 09:24:35 pm #28 Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:41:23 pm by ImATrackMan
Would you be willing to share the rom with those of us that have non-working copies? The waste of $50 plus the cost of buying another famicom frustrates me greatly.

EDIT: And mapper 188 is TKSROM, not TKROM. That's mapper 4, where your best bet is TL, TK, and TS because if the presumably large PRG/CHR size.

Arasoi

That is correct, some folks on nesdev mentioned this as well. Please check your PM.