Fake or Rare Zelda or What?

Started by sillic, February 18, 2016, 05:49:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterDisk

September 10, 2017, 02:23:36 am #120 Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:59:03 pm by MasterDisk
The PCBs are different anyway because Zelda 2 needs VRAM (offered on SNROM SKROM boards) I believe and whoever made it (Hyundai imo) had no example of a FC SNROM SKROM cart unlike Zelda I where they had the FC release (SNROM)

P

Both Zelda 1 and 2 uses SNROM with CHR-RAM. SNROM was used in many other MMC1 games including Final Fantasy so many SNROM boards existed.

MasterDisk

September 10, 2017, 10:25:07 am #122 Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:00:20 pm by MasterDisk
Zelda one is SKROM SNROM, is it exactly the same as SNROM SKROM?

EDIT: I got them the way around. Zelda II is SKROM.

P

Oops Zelda 1 uses SNROM and Zelda 2 uses SKROM according to bootgod. The difference is that SNROM allows only 8 kB CHR-RAM/CHR-ROM while SKROM allows 128 kB CHR-ROM (wiki link).

So yeah NES Zelda 2 uses bank switched CHR-ROM instead of CHR-RAM. Maybe Zelda 2 is a bit larger which is why it needed a dedicated mask ROM for CHR. I guess the Hyundai Zelda 2 is an SKROM board then.

MasterDisk

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12677.0;attach=5068

I just noticed, that's totally an unpopulated CIC spot under the MMC1B2. The traces are not connected to anything (they leads to nowhere on the left edge). Obviously it's totally useless in a Famicom cartridge but still. The chip placement matches completly the NES one.
It's like they took the NES design but reworked the traces.

P

But what board is that? It looks different from the Zelda 2 bootleg.

MasterDisk

P

I see, it certainly looks more Nessy. The one you posted looks more Famicom though.