April 28, 2024, 06:51:00 pm

Razer Forge TV

Started by NintendoKing, February 16, 2016, 09:30:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

As many of you are probably aware, Razer bought out OUYA and fulfilled the promise to fans of OUYA of a $99 upgrade to their console rather then $149. So I used my OUYA adopter discount and will be receiving the Forge TV soon as it's technically the OUYA 2.

Anyways what do you all think? They are keeping OUYA's Discover store but it's been renamed Cortex. I am planning a comparison video of the two consoles but honestly I am so excited for the Forge TV as it has Cortex and Google Play!

P

I don't like the controller as usual with these devices.

NintendoKing

It's compatible with the standard OUYA controller.

L___E___T

Controller looks like standard X360 issue, so OK in that it's hard to go wrong.  I imagine this would be quite popular in Asia, but then again the Android market there pretty much covers what this can do doesn't it?  

Gotta be honest though, I never thought the Ouya fulfilled its promise or vision and I think that has long passed now, not sure if this device is really going for that, but as a piece of tech it seems solid right?  

But yeah, my independent thought is that the Ouya failed pretty damn hard, so perhaps I'm biased in that respect.  There are plenty of gamers that were pleased with theirs.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NintendoKing

Okay so I've been playing around with the Forge TV for a couple days now and it's way better then OUYA! It's got everything and it's super fast!

stealthlurker

I was seriously looking into this, mainly for a more powerful compact emulation system that could handle some PSP and PS2 emulation which the Ouya choked on. However the reviews on Amazon pretty much put me off. Now don't get me wrong, I usually don't pay attention to tech reviews on Amazon because imho most people on there are clueless with tech. However it did seem enough to put me off and their arguments appeared knowledgeable/plausible.

Kind of disappointed me because the unit sounded like a great upgrade to the Ouya at a very, very, very attractive price point. I've tried some other Android boxes like these in hopes of upgrading past my Ouya, but they sorely failed (these others were around the $100 mark) in various areas and ended up just being a big waste of money. Just a case of me trying to get by on the cheap and just paying more in the end.

I've been researching the Shield console TV fore a long while now and it seems like the best way to go overall, just pretty steep for the 500GB version with remote for a little android gadget. These days I don't want to mess around with external storage anymore on gadgets like these, so 500GB sure is attractive for loading up tons of ROMs for various systems and whatever android apps. Also the PC game streaming is very attractive to me right now as I've been drifting back to PC as of late. Lastly the 4k streaming sounds like some nice icing to finally take advantage of the dang 4k displays haha.

In the end, literally just pulled the trigger on a 500GB Shield console TV + remote a few minutes ago. Should arrive in a few days. Curious to see if I can stream Street Fighter V to it and play with a wired joystick haha... along with a bunch of emulators  ;D

NintendoKing

The reviews on Amazon were early adopter reviews before the finalized the OUYA merger and before they got support for full Play Store support.