April 19, 2024, 10:07:15 pm

Plumbing woes

Started by chowder, March 13, 2016, 03:21:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chowder

After noticing that the kitchen smelled pretty damp, we moved the washing machine out of its recess under a counter to have a look.  The waste (drip) pipe from the condensing boiler has become disconnected, and is dripping water straight out under the floor through a hole that's there for other pipework.  Unfortunately, the waste pipe it was connected to is shared with the washing machine, which means we've had months worth(?) of waste water from that as well flowing straight under the house.  If that hole wasn't there, the kitchen would have flooded and we'd have noticed straight away, which probably would have been the better situation.

Home ownership, stress-free since...  Well, never  :( :(

UglyJoe

Ugh.  Water damage is the worst.

jpx72

Aah I recently moved to a house from a nice city flat, and all the work around a house is ...well overwhelming.
But that's the price for being a landlord to yourself.

chowder

Well, looks like we dodged a bullet as far as the water damage goes, seems to have drained away OK.  I'll let it air out and run a dehumidifier for a while to help prevent mold buildup.

Quote from: jpx72 on March 13, 2016, 01:18:22 pm
Aah I recently moved to a house from a nice city flat, and all the work around a house is ...well overwhelming.
But that's the price for being a landlord to yourself.

Yeah, I know what you mean!  The list of stuff to do is seemingly never ending, then you think "wait, realistically, how long are we going to live here for?".  Hard to tell when to just upgrade instead of living in a constant project.  Of course, the upgrade then becomes a constant project too, unless you can afford to move in to a palace or something.  Still, beats throwing money at some scumbag landlord every month :)

famifan

Quote from: chowder on March 14, 2016, 06:10:42 am
I'll let it air out and run a dehumidifier for a while to help prevent mold buildup.

it can't be enough... Consider applying special purpose fungicidal liquid or any similar fungicidal solution on places where the water resided for more than few days. Otherwise, fungus could grow some day after :'(

ericj

Might want to run an air cleaner/filter, too, to lower the amount of mold spores in the air. Water damage sucks and seemingly always causes mold growth, especially if it gets in-between floor layers (sub-floor, over & underlayment) and in drywall. Just fixed some drywall in my house damaged from a leak the previous owner had.

Yelir

In our current apartment, we've had some 4 water leaks/flooding in just as many years. It does get stressful at times, but it's free to us to fix up and it's never affected my collecting so far (knock on wood).  :help: