Bomberman 97 Unlicensed

Started by Retrospectives, June 01, 2016, 12:12:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Retrospectives

June 01, 2016, 12:12:27 am Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:39:25 am by Retrospectives
Hello fellows.

Did anyone of you guys heared about a game called "Bomberman 97" for Famicom? Supposedly it is an unlicensed copy of Super Bomberman or similar (in a similar manner to the downgraded SMW). I have this game in posession although not in physical posession (it is not in my house), so I can unfortunately not provide you with any screenshots or such.

I have never heared about this game but some years ago I bought it from a Korean guy in Sweden who sold me a whole bunch of games, and this was in a multicart if my memory serves me correctly.

I might have a picture of the cartridge but maybe it is already dumped? Please let me know if you have heared about this game. Thanks.  :mspacman:

Edit: Here is a picture of the label. Apparently it was called "Bomber King 97" and nothing else. I am not sure, but it was not released by any of the more famous companies. J.Y or N.T or such (I am not an expert of these companies but seems it seem to be "fairly" old, it should at least have not been released by Waixing (not that I can recall). Maybe the Lion King game might be a clue?

Also, it is Not the official Bomber King released by Hudson Soft. This is a unlicensed game (I only played it maybe one time to test if it was working and it seemingly remember me of the SFC\SNES version of Super Bomberman 3 or 4 or something similar (those games with all the animal upgrades and such. I am not that into Bomberman).

Cheetahmen

Huh, the only unlicenced Bomberman clone I remember was called (IIRC) Bomberman 2002 by Nice Code. Presuming it's not that given the 1997 release date, I'd be interested to see what it actually is at some point ;)
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

Retrospectives

That's interesting. I've never heard of that 2002 version. Was it made by Russians? My copy if I remember correctly was more... In lack of a better word "unpolished". I remember the graphics was not that colorful although I might be mistaken. The first level was more of the greyish scale of color and looked a bit more"classic" although it was certainly nota hack but really a proper version of an unlicensed game.  :bub:

I will eventually sell it, but the person buying it has to promise of uploading gameplay footage of it.  ;D

fcgamer

I've never heard of it before, but if it is what you claim it to be, I would be interested in purchasing it from you and writing a write-up about it on my blog.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Retrospectives

Right now it is on-hold by a certain Dutchmen which name starts with a P  ;) But I have asked my friend who is posessing (storing) the game for me for a short video. It might take a while to make him actually do it, but it will be done at least within a week (hopefully). Anyways, I hope that this get dumped so that everyone can get a chance of playing it, and if that certain Dutch Gentleman doesn't want it, then you will be the next in line. But a shorter video will for sure be coming up within a near future.

Cheetahmen

Quote from: Retrospectives on June 03, 2016, 10:33:39 amBut I have asked my friend who is posessing (storing) the game for me for a short video. It might take a while to make him actually do it, but it will be done at least within a week (hopefully).

I look forward to it, feel free to post a link here once it's up ;D
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

MasterDisk

Not that I'm really interested in owning it but if it was an interesting piece I'd send it to get it dumped~

Retrospectives

Sure thing! That's was my intention since I don't have the game physically in my hands this would be the best I can do right now.

Thanks MasterDisk, You got a dumping source in Europe? We could dump it over here but then it had to be going back and forth and that would honestly be kind of a hassle, but well...Since I already put it up for offer then I suppose that it's pretty much up to the new owner to decide. A digial preservation would be valuable though (for the sake for preservation).

MasterDisk

CaH4e3 would be a good bet, since he is in russia, I'd just send it in registered airmail as a "safety" but for the two time I sent stuff to him it always went fine!

Retrospectives

Okay. Let us wait and see what P****K has to say. fcgamer showed an interest as well (as stated above) but hopefully it would be able to work something out. I just want to make clear that I do not have the particular copy in my hands and that is why it is a bit of a hassle. But if that guy in Russia can dump it, then it certainly sounds great.

fcgamer

Oh he is a good friend of mine.  If he does get it, I'll let him know my interest should he decide to sell later on.  :)

Retrospectives

Sure thing. I kind of suspected that you knew each others quite well hehe, but yeah. I will talk to him and see what he has to say about it.  :)

famiac

August 31, 2018, 08:42:13 pm #12 Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:04:18 am by famiac
Hey folks, this is indeed a "brand new" old game, and it has been dumped by me and NRS over at nesdev. He kindly fixed a couple of bugs in the game as well so that it is now playable until the very end.

This is a bit of an exciting moment as a "Super Game" rom hasn't been newly released in a long time. It's not a terrible game, either.

Enjoy :)

PS: This came from the exact cart that started this thread. The cart is available for trade.

Edit: for preservation purposes, here is the link to the original ROM without bomberboy extracted

fcgamer

Quote from: famiac on August 31, 2018, 08:42:13 pm
Hey folks, this is indeed a "brand new" old game, and it has been dumped by me and NRS over at nesdev. He kindly fixed a couple of bugs in the game as well so that it is now playable until the very end.

This is a bit of an exciting moment as a "Super Game" rom hasn't been newly released in a long time. It's not a terrible game, either.

Enjoy :)

PS: This came from the exact cart that started this thread. The cart is available for trade.

Hi,

I'd be interested in that cart.  I'll send you a PM.

Retrospectives

Thanks for making it publically available. Is good to have as a preservation. I never really played the game that much but I am glad NRS could debug it and "fix" it. Got myself a real good trade from you as well.  ;) Good job, thanks!