Famicom in Europe

Started by Strahssis, September 12, 2016, 10:56:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Strahssis

Hey everyone,

Background Story
So I picked up my first Famicom about two months ago.
I know my TV supports NTSC through an AV-cable, since I have played on a Super Famicom for quiet some time now.

Anyways, so tested my first Famicom out through my NES RF-cable and I actually got a signal at channel 95,75, which actually suprised me. So the image was in black and white only and there was just white noise and no sounds what so ever.
I concluded that my TV doesn't support NTSC through the coaxial input.

So I went ahead and tried to AV-mod my Famicom. When I tested it first, I actually got a clear image and sound.
Since I had been a little bit uncareful removing the video-transistor causing the pins of the transistor to break, the solder-connection
was very poor, so it broke while fitting it back into the shell. I had to re-solder the wires back on the transistor and PPU, and when I was done, my image was all garbled up. I tried to replace the with a new one, but that didn't do anything. I ended up undoing the AV-mod and after I did so, I still had the same problem, so I concluded that my PPU was damaged by heat.

I couldn't find any separate replacement parts, so I bought a new Famicom, since that looked like the only option for me.

My question:
So, I picked up another Famicom and I am trying to hook it up again. Since this Famicom cost me €70 (~$77) because of it's excellent condition, I am not going to AV-mod it. I tried running it through my VCR, but that one didn't go any higher that channel 82, so it couldn't receive the signal. So I found this device on Ebay and I'd like to ask you guys if you think it could be an option for my Famicom in Europe problem: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/RF-To-AV-Analog-USB-TV-Receiver-Converter-Modulator-Adapter-Video-Cable-EU-US-/141820418114?var=&hash=item210527d842:m:mPE8gdxfrFKXW_TvDAMs9QA
If you guys don't think this will work, can one of you guys tell me what will make my Famicom work on an European television?
I am looking forward to hearing from you soon and thank you in advance for your replies,

Sincerely,

Miko, Strahssis

Note: I never wanted to kill my first Famicom, I feel really bad about it. Please don't hate me for it, because it will make me feel even worse. I usually have a 60-70% success rate on my Gameboy repairs, so I thought I could do this as well. It turned out I couldn't.
Alea Iacta Est!

aitsu124

I think it should work, but I'm not positive. Most cables, as you know, are region-free, so I don't see why this would be any different, but I can't tell what exactly it is in the first place. It sounds like what you'd need, but then it talks about TV channels. I'd say it's worth a shot.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

prince tomato

European tv's can't properly display NTSC-J through RF,
as you've seen.
even a multi-standard EU tv can only process NTSC through the composite RCA or SCART inputs.
a converter like the one you found might work, but no guarantees there.
i have some converters that work the other way round,
composite to rf, and vga to composite.
the results are a mixed bag, hit and miss really.
some converters will mess with the soundcarrier frequencies or color subcarrier frequencies.
i am not too tech savvy to actually help out here,
i can only point out that converters are not full proof.
NTSC-J is a little different from NTSC-US, and there are 4 or 5 PAL standards, all of which might work, depending on which converter you find, and how fussy your tv is.
personally, i would recommend putting the nice Famicom on display, and playing on the AV modded one,
or get an AV Famicom hvc-101, or a Twin.
better picture quality, no hassle.

doesitmatter

Did you buy it and did it work? I am trying to solve this myself, as I just grabbed a Famicom for £25 and my TV only outputs NTSC over component and doesn't go higher than channel 69.

FAMICOM_87

What is the revision of you PCB? If it is from 1989 I will show you AV MOD that is totally  SAVE, without removing any parts and it is also revercable.

doesitmatter

January 27, 2021, 07:05:40 am #5 Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:37:26 am by doesitmatter
Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on January 26, 2021, 02:09:15 pmWhat is the revision of you PCB? If it is from 1989 I will show you AV MOD that is totally  SAVE, without removing any parts and it is also revercable.

Thanks.
It's the hvc-cpu-gpm-02, which I believe is from 1989. Is it the soldering one?

doesitmatter

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on January 27, 2021, 12:27:54 pmOK then :)
https://youtu.be/ky8rFPbzGMU

Wow, thanks very much. I've never seen that one and I might be able to do that and I certainly know a fella who could! Much appreciated.

FAMICOM_87

No problem, good luck :)
Remember - when you going to MOD any console, never remove any existing features and components, only add them like here :)

doesitmatter

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on January 27, 2021, 01:15:46 pmNo problem, good luck :)
Remember - when you going to MOD any console, never remove any existing features and components, only add them like here :)

I did the mod and it worked. Thanks again for posting it to me.

I had a few teething problems, which I will make a video on because I think it might be useful for some but generally, it was a success with no video or sound issues. There is a slight hum which is being caused by controller two's microphone but all in all, it's a great mod which I believe newbies to soldering can perform. Just watch the size of the capacitors you buy! One of mine was on the large size but I'll cover than in a video.

FAMICOM_87

Show your work :)!
Aboru the mic, clean the graphite tracks,with alcohol and the metal on the sliders with very fine grid sandpaper
:)

doesitmatter

Thanks, I did clean my mic, shortly after posting and pulled the pins up and hey presto, it works brilliantly now. I really cant believe it.
I also ordered a FDSStick as I've managed to get hold of a FD RAM adapter (which hopefully works but I'll be on the look out for another as a backup, as well as a FD with the correct boards to write back to).

Massive thanks, again. Really delighted with it all, plus my partner got involved which was cool, as I just couldnt get the wires into that TRRS jack! Fat fingers!

Will show it all when I get a chance too. Work is a little hectic at the mo.

doesitmatter

Thanks again to @famicom_87 for sharing the mod and I so I made a 'things I learnt video'. which hopefully helps others who attempt this or are thinking about it. And you should. It really has been made easy and it was my first ever mod of anything!

IF anyone watches and has criticisms, please do leave them in the comments/here because there's much to learn and I am new to this type of hobby and many others will be too.

FAMICOM_87

Nice work, dude, but why you did not show the screen :) ?

doesitmatter

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on March 17, 2021, 04:58:21 pmNice work, dude, but why you did not show the screen :) ?

I didnt think it was pertinent and my phone was resting on the crocodile clips of my soldering magnifier, to ensure a steady video. And, I'm clearly a youtube noob, ha!
If anyone wants to see the screen, I added another video which shows the issue I had with the RAM. I also turned on comments as I didnt know they were turned off.
https://youtu.be/A17gFFAkJhI