Famicom Bootlegs with Original Artwork

Started by HummerTeam1001, September 25, 2016, 04:45:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HummerTeam1001

September 25, 2016, 04:45:06 pm Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:51:34 am by HummerTeam1001
Dark Purple Comic Sans Carts:

Dark Blue Yellow Text Carts:

Black w/ Pink Block Text Carts:

Light Blue w/ Red Text Carts:

Purple w/ Yellow Text Carts:

Red Carts w/ Black Text and Icons:

===================

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey, so a while ago I got this bootleg copy of Mappy, which has some pretty funny artwork.

At first I thought it was probably just that one cartridge that looked like this, but then later I got a copy of Super Mario Bros. and it looked like this. It is probably even more ridiculous.

•Mario has 5 fingers on one hand and 6 on the other.
•Toad has no legs
•Toad has one tooth sticking out but no others
•The turtle is standing in midair
•The top of the pipe doesn't line up with the bottom
•Mario's outfit is all weird

I would REALLY like to know what company made these, and if there are any more (which I'm sure there are), so if anybody knows anything about these cartridges, like where the artwork is from or what company made them, please let me know.

Both cartridges came from Venezuela, in case that helps determine what company made them.

P

Jedi Master Baiter

I think that bottom finger might just be his palm. Either way, he has no forearms.

Any idea why there's a flaming wheel next to who I assume is supposed to be Bowser?

UglyJoe

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on September 26, 2016, 12:04:55 am
Any idea why there's a flaming wheel next to who I assume is supposed to be Bowser?

I thought maybe they were the spinning fire sticks in the dungeon levels.

fcgamer

Quote from: UglyJoe on September 26, 2016, 01:57:15 am

I thought maybe they were the spinning fire sticks in the dungeon levels.

I thought this as well.

@HummerTeam1001:  Those are neat bootlegs, and even neater that they seem to be in a "series" of sorts.  If you decide to get rid of them, please let me know, I would be interested in adding them to my collection.

On another note, let's turn this thread into an official list of these games, which ones exist.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

HummerTeam1001

Quote from: fcgamer on September 26, 2016, 03:48:14 am
If you decide to get rid of them, please let me know, I would be interested in adding them to my collection.

I'll probably keep them but I'll let you know if I don't.

Quote from: fcgamer on September 26, 2016, 03:48:14 am
On another note, let's turn this thread into an official list of these games, which ones exist.

I found another one on eBay. I've attached the picture.

(No link because I want to buy it myself at some point)

famifan

let me guess. it's manhole cover.

that weird sewer manhole pipe was containing highly flammable gas before it got exploded, therefore the manhole cover went airborne thereafter  :)

jpx72

I love this Duck Tales one, but I think this is just made up by some famicom fan.

HummerTeam1001

Quote from: jpx72 on September 26, 2016, 01:01:53 pm
I love this Duck Tales one, but I think this is just made up by some famicom fan.

That label is funny, but this topic is supposed to about this certain series of bootlegs. The ones that are in the same format as the ones I've posted.

toadhall

Quote from: HummerTeam1001 on September 26, 2016, 01:59:15 pm
That label is funny, but this topic is supposed to about this certain series of bootlegs. The ones that are in the same format as the ones I've posted.

Unless we have a lot more carts in that series that we can post and talk about, it'd be a shame to keep this thread to only that particular series of weird famicom labels. I personally would love to see more weird and fascinatingly strange famicom cart labels, no matter what style or series they are in. Anyway, it's your thread but that's my 2 cents  :D
I had a copy of Gimmick when I was a kid but my mother threw it out while I was in college. :(

HummerTeam1001

Quote from: toadhall on September 26, 2016, 06:52:37 pm
Quote from: HummerTeam1001 on September 26, 2016, 01:59:15 pm

Unless we have a lot more carts in that series that we can post and talk about, it'd be a shame to keep this thread to only that particular series of weird famicom labels. I personally would love to see more weird and fascinatingly strange famicom cart labels, no matter what style or series they are in. Anyway, it's your thread but that's my 2 cents  :D

I totally agree that it would be cool to have another topic for all funny bootleg Famicom labels.  :) If you or someone else makes one, feel free to copy the pictures of my games over from here. I would really like to see some other weird labels, but this topic is supposed to be trying to find out how many games there are in this series, what company made them, commentary on the silly labels, etc.

And about the cartridges, I think maybe it would help figure out the publisher if the games were opened up and we saw what the PCBs looked like. I, unfortunately, have no experience with that sort of thing. What is a safe way to do it that won't ruin them?

P

Quote from: famifan on September 26, 2016, 10:24:17 am

let me guess. it's manhole cover.

that weird sewer manhole pipe was containing highly flammable gas before it got exploded, therefore the manhole cover went airborne thereafter  :)

Haha no way! It's a fire wheel! And it's probably supposed to be the fire bars from the castle levels like other people said.

Quote from: jpx72 on September 26, 2016, 01:01:53 pm

Makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BV1q-r7YIw.

famifan

Quote from: P on September 27, 2016, 01:38:58 am
Haha no way! It's a fire wheel! And it's probably supposed to be the fire bars from the castle levels like other people said.

according to the wiki Firewheel should have a face, right?  ???

toadhall

Quote from: HummerTeam1001 on September 26, 2016, 08:53:19 pm
And about the cartridges, I think maybe it would help figure out the publisher if the games were opened up and we saw what the PCBs looked like. I, unfortunately, have no experience with that sort of thing. What is a safe way to do it that won't ruin them?

This video is supposedly the safest way though I haven't tried it myself (don't have any clamps handy).
I had a copy of Gimmick when I was a kid but my mother threw it out while I was in college. :(

P

The few times I've opened screwless Famicom cartridges, I've used Arfink's method with clamps. It worked fine for me so far, but depending on how brittle the plastic has become, there's always a risk of breaking tabs.

Quote from: famifan on September 27, 2016, 08:31:58 am
Quote from: P on September 27, 2016, 01:38:58 am

according to the wiki Firewheel should have a face, right?  ???

Yeah but it may be depicted differently by different artists, and the fire bar has no face. But this is a Japanese youkai so it's possible the artist didn't know about it and just drew something original. I'ts just that the wanyuudou is a common character in video games so it was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.