Nintendo Classic Mini Family Computer

Started by Great Hierophant, September 29, 2016, 08:59:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Quote from: Great Hierophant on September 30, 2016, 02:01:32 pm
I think most of us would agree that the Wii has better overall NES/Famicom emulation over the Wii U.  But the Wii is not capable of Hi-Def and the Wii U is essentially an upgraded Wii from a hardware perspective.  I would be inclined to see this as a mix of both consoles.

Now I don't have have a Wii U yet but why is the Wii VC games supperior to the Wii U VC? When googling this matter, people are saying that the Wii U VC is supperior due to HD, abillity to play on the tablet screen and the fact that the PAL Wii U VC games are using NTSC ROMs and plays in 60 Hz (Wii VC games used the PAL ROMs and played in 50 Hz).

The controllers do look awfully small, even by Japanese standards.

Yeah they look a bit uncomfortable. They have to be that small since the console is shrinked, or they wouldn't match the original Famicom.

As far as no microphone for killing Pols Voice, you are getting savestates!  Don't make me bust out the world's tiniest violin.

Haha no way! Savestates are like minimum for a good Emulator, but no Microphone and yet they include games that are so iconically used with it. Bah! Luckily I have a real Famicom and most of these games already (it would still be neat to have this though).

Arkanix38

I ended up making an Amazon.jp account and ordered one... it was cheaper than the NES Classic Mini EVEN AFTER POSTAGE COSTS. Bloody Australia haha. This is perfect for me, cause my friend at EBGames f***ed up my pre-order and ordered the controller instead of the console so I probably wont end up getting one unless I get really lucky.

GreenKoopa

Quote from: Arkanix38 on September 30, 2016, 04:20:27 pm
I ended up making an Amazon.jp account and ordered one... it was cheaper than the NES Classic Mini EVEN AFTER POSTAGE COSTS. Bloody Australia haha. This is perfect for me, cause my friend at EBGames f***ed up my pre-order and ordered the controller instead of the console so I probably wont end up getting one unless I get really lucky.

I pre ordered my mini nes via the eb games website, which takes a $10 deposit for the entire order.  There will always be cancellations, so get your friend to redeem himself and get you one of those.  You've already got the 2nd controller locked in :)

Thanks for the amazon japan tip. Do they know the shipping is overseas as part of the pre order?

Arkanix38

Already talked to the manager, apparently the only way I'm getting one is if someone cancels and they still get it sent to the store... and I turn up as soon as they open.

P

Well at least you get a cool Classic Controller, ...with missing buttons and joysticks.

Quote from: Arkanix38 on September 30, 2016, 04:20:27 pm
I ended up making an Amazon.jp account and ordered one... it was cheaper than the NES Classic Mini EVEN AFTER POSTAGE COSTS. Bloody Australia haha.

Tell me about it, Swedish consumption tax is 25% while it's only 8% in Japan. Well at least we get unlimited health care, too bad I never get sick. :(

Arkanix38

Yeah, would be nice to have though. NES Games are pretty expensive here and it'd be nice to be able to play Star Tropics, Legend of Zelda (in english) and a few others through HDMI on a cute little console.

GreenKoopa

As the console is scaled down in physical size, so to are the controllers to match.  Supposedly the mini famicom is 60% of the original size.  For me, this could be a major deal breaker, as i want to use a normal size controller.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-classic-mini-famicom-photos-website-specs-my-nintendo-ticket/

The only way nintendo could get around this is to use the AV or twin famicom.  But, these shapes aren't iconic enough to be recognised.

Otherwise, having separate full sized controllers to plug in, in addition the scaled down versions which attach to the side, would add unnecessary cost and look stupid. 

Thoughts?

manuel

Scalpers are already all over it.
Let's hope Nintendo produces enough to make them go stay home empty-handed.

Arkanix38

I think they could have gone with controller sockets in the back (ie where the famicom controller cables come out of the console). I'm just disappointed that they included Zelda and the P2 controller has no mic.

Still not a deal breaker for me though cause its cute as all hell and i'll just keep it next to my PC so I can play Mario 3 while sitting in the study in front of my second monitor, rather than rolling over 3m and setting up my tiny Commodore CRT.

It'll also be more convenient than taking a Famicom over to my friends house along with 6 carts, the cables and power supply, when all we end up doing is fiddling with her TV cause it hates out of region Composite signals and giving up to play Fallout NV.

P

Yeah it's a neat plug-and-play console with a bunch of great games, that's probably what lots of people want.

Quote from: manuel on October 01, 2016, 04:21:06 am
Scalpers are already all over it.
Let's hope Nintendo produces enough to make them go stay home empty-handed.

Prices went up! Before it was like 6000¥ but now it's like 10000¥ on Rakuten and Amazone!! That's more expensive than a used Famicom!

Quote from: GreenKoopa on October 01, 2016, 03:59:03 am
As the console is scaled down in physical size, so to are the controllers to match.  Supposedly the mini famicom is 60% of the original size.  For me, this could be a major deal breaker, as i want to use a normal size controller.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-classic-mini-famicom-photos-website-specs-my-nintendo-ticket/

The only way nintendo could get around this is to use the AV or twin famicom.  But, these shapes aren't iconic enough to be recognised.

Otherwise, having separate full sized controllers to plug in, in addition the scaled down versions which attach to the side, would add unnecessary cost and look stupid. 

Thoughts?

Maybe they should have made it a little bigger so that the controllers don't become so awkwardly small. But I don't know, I haven't tried it.

Arkanix38

Lucky I managed to get it for 5700¥ on amazon.jp then!

chowder

I understand the size of the controllers from an aesthetic point of view, but I can't imagine they'd be too good to actually use :-\

This price gouging really annoys me though, hopefully production numbers are high and they'll come back down again.

manuel

Quote from: Arkanix38 on October 01, 2016, 06:33:45 pm
Lucky I managed to get it for 5700¥ on amazon.jp then!

Very lucky!
That's less than the MSRP.

Arkanix38

Quote from: manuel on October 02, 2016, 04:25:20 am
Very lucky!
That's less than the MSRP.

Yeah! There were two official listings on amazon.jp early on and one was discounted, managed to grab it before it sold out!

EDIT: added invoice from the listing

Raverrevolution

Anyone have any tips on being able to get one of these things without getting raped?

I made an Amazon JP account as well as a Tenso account in hopes I could snatch one at the retail price, but Amazon preorders seem to be sold out.  Should I;

A)Wait it out, maybe even til the day it's released to try to get one or

B)Get one of these for 9,000Y thinking that will be my only and cheapest chance until then.