The Nintendo NX Thread - The Nintendo Switch Revealed!

Started by L___E___T, October 20, 2016, 05:07:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

We don't need more threads Boye - resist the temptation.

Adori are you serious?  The Switch is under-powered as a current gen machine for sure.  It's closer to a mobile platform than console.  Depends on what you're comparing it too, but I still feel my iPhone is more powerful.

I like Switch, I should play it in TV mode more.  I used to play it a lot but fell back into FC & SFC.

Not sure they'll announce a Switch Pro so soon but I'm sure it's not too far away.  Maybe next year.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

conrat4567

Gonna stick with my OG switch. The lite is a good idea and low enough to he tempting but frankly I like the OG stuff. I was the same with the PS4. Until there is a graphical upgrade then the OG switch is good enough for me.  ;D
Famicom and get some!

boye

Quote from: L___E___T on July 10, 2019, 01:36:32 pm
We don't need more threads Boye - resist the temptation..

I meant as in someone else creating said thread; I don't want more useless threads.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

adori_12

Quote from: boye on July 10, 2019, 02:32:30 pm
We don't need more threads Boye - resist the temptation..

I meant as in someone else creating said thread; I don't want more useless threads.

I posted it here so we don't have to make another thread that also talks about Switch updates, I think it's better off the way it is now.

Adori are you serious?  The Switch is under-powered as a current gen machine for sure.  It's closer to a mobile platform than console.  Depends on what you're comparing it too, but I still feel my iPhone is more powerful.

Oh I am aware that the Switch is underpowered just like most Nintendo consoles at launch, and I do agree that it definitely needs some improvement, but my biggest concern is to release it so soon in the system's life.
I can't help but looking at it as a way of dividing the fanbase, since obviously in order to make the Switch Pro worthwhile there has to be exclusive games for it, and I don't like the fact that even if you own a Switch you can't play a game designed for a Pro system, I see it as if the company no longer considers your system as their main focus, and even developers have more things to consider when releasing software: As in " Should we make a game using rumble and Joy-Con features, knowing that it won't be compatible with the Lite model, or making it so that it can take advantage of the Pro model capabilities but offering an inferior experience for those who have the original model, or offering all of this for each system, knowing that it will take more time to adapt the game to work properly in each model?"
That's how I see it, but eventually an upgrade will be necessary, just that it should happen a little bit longer, a few years would be enough.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

P

-No TV mode
-Joycon permanently attached (although separate Joycons and maybe Controller Pros are supported via bluetooth)
-No built-in HD-rumble
-Strange choice of available colors
-Only compatible with games that support portable mode (and table mode I guess)

I'm not impressed. I guess this is a budget version of the Switch like the 2DS models are for the 3DS. The only good thing about it may be the d-pad, but I have no problem with the G&W-style separate d-buttons and if the d-pad is like the Pro Controller then it isn't really a good thing at all.

Also how can you charge Joy-cons for it if there is no dock? I guess you need the Charge Grip and charge it directly using the AC-adapter.

As for a Switch Pro I'm with Adori, I hope it doesn't come anytime soon, since I don't want to buy another system now. The Switch is really too young to die.

Yelir

If they don't have a fix for the awful Joycon sticks crapping out, similar to problems I had with the 3DS, then I won't ever buy one until it's too cheap to pass up.

P

What problems do you have with the joysticks and 3DS slide pad?

Googling I found out that they may be subject to drifting, registering moves without the stick being touched, due to dirt getting inside.

conrat4567

I was going to say. I have never had those problems with the switch or DS
Famicom and get some!

L___E___T

I know you can replace the joysticks easily enough if there is a persistent problem.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nintendodork

July 15, 2019, 02:38:00 pm #69 Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:44:08 pm by nintendodork
Quote from: L___E___T on July 11, 2019, 09:20:34 am
I know you can replace the joysticks easily enough if there is a persistent problem.

Taking apart Joycons is a task in itself, not to mention it voids your warranty. Those shoulder buttons are really tricky to get back in just right. If they weren't such a hassle, I would have already put my Switch/joycons in one of those slick translucent casings.

The Switch Lite should be sub $200. I think $150-$175 would be a way more appetizing price point than $200. I see barely used Switches selling for around $200 with a game included on my local Facebook Marketplace.

As for a Switch Pro, I'd be way more into that. More space on the joycons so that the right stick was decently ergonomic would be high on my wishlist. Ideally I wish Nintendo could just make a dock that was somehow able to beef up certain things in a stock Switch via the USB-C port while concurrently giving it better ventilation and maybe a built-in gamecube adapter, but I don't think there would be a way to improve the processing power of the Switch just via USB.

When it comes to "splitting the fanbase" between the different iterations, Sony and Microsoft have shown that isn't an issue. Most games include 4K/HDR support as an option in the game settings and the base models just don't support it. Nintendo is really the only company to screw that up, considering their whole New 3DS line was only properly utilized with a handful of games, most of which weren't first party. If Nintendo would allow a little more wiggle room on changing certain game settings, I don't think that would be as much of an issue on Switch as it was with the 3DS.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

boye

Quote from: nintendodork on July 15, 2019, 02:38:00 pm
but I don't think there would be a way to improve the processing power of the Switch just via USB.

You could, if a GPU was built into the dock, and the external GPU overlaid its image over the normal Switch GPU. So, it isn't really increasing the Switch's power directly, but the Switch could send data to the external GPU through USB.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

P

Yeah and the image is also already sent via USB-C, so I guess it's fast enough already as is.

QuoteTaking apart Joycons is a task in itself, not to mention it voids your warranty.

But if you still have warranty on the controller, taking it apart yourself shouldn't be your problem.

I'm not keen on bigger Joycons. They are a bit on the small side and not as ergonomic as the Pro Controller, but if they got any bigger, the portability of the console would take a blow, and it already is on the heavy side for a portable system. I guess people that thought the Wii nunchaku controller was hard to hold comfortably, might have similar problems with the Joycons though and would like them bigger.

I think more processing power is welcome though. Porting games from PS4 doesn't seem to be problem-free. The recently released Igavania game Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night seems to had problems with its Switch port, and DQ XI S will probably be technically inferior to the PS4 original (although not by much it seems, and it will be superior in content which is what matters anyway).

adori_12

Quote from: nintendodork on July 15, 2019, 02:38:00 pm
considering their whole New 3DS line was only properly utilized with a handful of games, most of which weren't first party. If Nintendo would allow a little more wiggle room on changing certain game settings, I don't think that would be as much of an issue on Switch as it was with the 3DS.

The same thing kinda happened with the DSi, which had a decent amount of DSiWare exclusive titles (although most of them were lousy indie games with very few exceptions), but barely any physical releases (I think there were only 5 of them), making the DSi really not worth it if you were looking for great new exclusive games, and the removal of the GBA cartridge port didn't help either. If Nintendo made games compatible with all systems but offering more features for the Pro model and some exclusive games taking advantage of the new specs it would be a much better way of selling the Switch Pro (and of course I'd be a fan of waiting a few years for its release).

Oh, and by the way another Switch revision was also recently announced, which allegedly improves battery life, so that's nice I guess  ::)

As for drifting Joy-Cons, it's apparently a much more common problem, common enough to file a lawsuit against Nintendo. https://gonintendo.com/stories/340387-switch-joy-con-drift-class-action-lawsuit-officially-filed
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

P

I think I experienced joystick drifting, although very brief. I was working on a course in Mario Maker 2 and the Mario cursor started moving on itself downwards. I tilted the right stick up a bit and it stopped. I hope it won't get worse. I usually use the Pro Controller in most games though, and only use the Joy-Con for Mario Odyssey (which only uses left stick), Tetris 99 (which hardly uses the joysticks at all) and games that requires the joy-con (like Super Mario Party), so it's the least used joystick that got the symptoms.

Now it sounds like Nintendo has finally admitted the problem and are going to fix it for free for everyone. Good to hear.

Yelir

Quote from: P on July 24, 2019, 04:00:32 pm
Now it sounds like Nintendo has finally admitted the problem and are going to fix it for free for everyone. Good to hear.

If this were true, I wonder if there would be fine print to repairs. I have 6-8 Joycons and unfortunately they all have this issue at some point in gameplay...  :-\