Error 2 blues

Started by milkmanv1, January 30, 2017, 08:25:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

milkmanv1

Hey everybody,

Just got the original red famicom disk system that I always wanted to stack my fami on top of. I pulled it out of the box and noticed plenty of rattling. There was some pretty sad looking remants of fossilized belt in there.

Anyway, I went straight into belt replacement and now for whatever reason I've only been getting error 2.
i've read as much info as possible on this, but no one seems to have found an answer. I've tried AC and a battery. I have heard the drive moving like its spinning, but have yet to test with the top off to make shre its all spinning correctly. I would imagine its not as it doesn't sound ANYTHING like the smooth, chrrrrrrr with the occasional click like my twin fami. It makes more of an "chuh chuh chuh chuh" sound?

I'll try some drive spindle aligning tomorrow. But I'm just wondering whats up with error 2

P

Well if it's error 2 it must be a power supply problem no? Don't use cheap batteries, use good quality ones.

Have you tried replacing the AC adapter with one with the same specs?
QuoteInput: 100VAC 50-60Hz
Output: 9VDC 400mA
Polarity: Centre Pin Negative
(+)------------(o------------(-)
Barrel Size: Outer Diameter 5.5mm; Inner Diameter 2.0mm

milkmanv1

January 31, 2017, 06:19:56 am #2 Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 02:36:22 pm by milkmanv1
I may just bite the bullet and buy the official psu or atleast a "power splitter cable" or maybe even both. The batreries I'm using are energizer brand but they're not fresh as I had to rob them from elsewhere (electric window candles for decoration) the fact that I did get this error plugged in and with batteries though doesn't make me hopeful. I was using a sega 2103 psu for master system or genesis. In addition, if its spinning the drive, its obviously getting power. Per the sticky, error 2 can also be caused by belt slippage.

One of my screws was kinda stripped (on the threads, so you can't tighten it down all the way) that holds down the metal triangle that goes over the belt. Could that be causing improper belt tension? The metal triangle is tight though, and cannot be wiggled by hand.

Finally when the disk is spinning, or atleast trying to, the red LED for disk access is not illuminated?

Post Merge: January 31, 2017, 02:36:22 pm

So, Joe, what did we learn?

Well, Number 1: The disk system is smarter than you are. If it says error 2, its probably not getting the proper power. By overthinking things I complicated the matter much more than necessary A fresh 6 pack....of Rayovac C batteries did just the trick.

Number 2: Make sure you verify all 3 (not just 1) of the electric candles you stole batteries from was working, before you assume all 6 used batteries are any good.

Number 3: Don't doubt your labor so much. As it would seem, the belt replacement was a success. I figure, I can change a transmission in a car, why should I have botched the belt replacement, didn't seem too hard.

Number 4: A 7201 Drive/original FDS/new belt sounds a lot different than a twin famicom (which may or may not have the 3206 drive in it. Haven't fiddled with it much, too afraid, too valueable) Either that, or the status of a disk system cannot be diagnosed entirely by sound.

Anyway the spindle hub is going to need some tuning, and the motor speed, hopefully not the magnetic head. Getting error 21 and 22 now, which atleast means its trying to and is capable of reading disks now.

P

Even if it's spinning it doesn't necessarily means it got a steady voltage. Error codes are not always reliable though and I've seen people on the forum reporting other errors that was solved with a fresh 6-pack of batteries.

Yeah if it sometimes gets error 21 and sometimes 22, it sounds like it's just a tuning problem now. Good luck!