nes/famicom printer project, Family Keyboard alternatives?

Started by prince tomato, February 14, 2017, 10:02:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

prince tomato

March 01, 2017, 08:17:44 am #15 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:23:45 am by prince tomato
so, i got a bunch of 11k resistors,
but i am still mystified about what capacitor values to use,

bigger pics:

https://postimg.org/image/8a9zdy8gd/

https://postimg.org/image/i6b2dle8d/

if anyone can take a look at the pic and schematics and suggest some things i could try that would be awesome.
the way the author put it i only have this:

C1  =1.0
C2  =200
C3  =220
C4  =220
C5  =0.1
C6  =0.1
C7  =0.1
C8  =1.0
C9  =1.0
C10=1.0

but no clue about whether these are supposed to be uf, pf, or nf....

so, what would be the most likely scenario,
are the units mixed, i.e, is the author mixing uf,pf, and nf units of measurement, or could these all have the same prefix?

FAMICOM_87

September 24, 2017, 10:11:16 am #16 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:18:17 am by FAMICOM_87
Quote from: prince tomato on February 27, 2017, 01:59:54 pm
laserjet printers work as well???
for some reason i thought only dot matrix printers did  :o
how can you identify which printer will work?
will every printer from a certain brand/type/era with an lpt connector work?

Finally I made the video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgcDHwcLJw

80sFREAK

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

P

Yep! Someone finally made a real one! I don't think it has been built yet, but it's a start! :)

Famicom keyboards are getting cheap even on ebay lately though, but that's besides the point.

Also I made a Famicom text editor with CHR-RAM and WRAM (SNROM). The keyboard works but I'm not sure how to add actual typing yet. Should I just have an input handler for every typeble key on the keyboard?

80sFREAK

Thanks, God, i don't have NES - no sound extension, no FDS, no native keyboard, no...

Actual typing you can peek in Family Basic on-screen editor  ;)

SNROM for easy prototyping?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

P

It's for the 15-pin expansion port so no NES needed.
The mouse seems to be its own standard though. Kind of wish he managed to emulate the SFC mouse which is already used in homebrew and supported in emulators.

Actually I stole the keyboard reading routine from Family BASIC and keyboard detecting from Lode Runner. But I can't find out how Family BASIC is doing the typing of characters. I suck at reverse engineering. And googling for keyboard programming techniques didn't give me anything useful. Low level keyboard programming isn't that common nowdays I guess.

SNROM because I needed battery backup RAM (for saving the text) and CHR-RAM (for user-definable characters and stuff) and wanted a common board type that officially supports these two things, and SNROM seemed to be the most obvious choice. So yeah possible easy prototyping is one reason, maximum compatibility with emulators and flashcarts is another.

krzy

Sorry, I was quite busy for couple of time.

There are at least 3 different keyboard systems:
* Family Keyboard,
* Subor (or GLK) famiclone keyboard,
* Asder PC-95 keyboard.

First two are quite similar, although the keyboard layout is different (there are also minor differences between Subor famiclones, like one having Windows key and one doesn't).
They use $4017_D4/D3/D2/D1 and OUT2/OUT1 pins, which are present in the 15 pin famicom expansion port. Those pins are also available in some famiclones (mt777dx, iq502, SP-60). However:
* many nowaday famiclones don't even have 15 pin expansion port,
* and if they have, not every pin is properly connected to the Nes-On-Chip BLOB.

This makes conncting existing Subor keyboard into 15 pin connector impossible. I personally hate those keyboards - pressing needs stronger and more precise force than in regular PC keyboard.

I'm currently working on making a PS/2 adapter and it will not use the 15 pin connector, but instead - data injection between cartridge and cartridge port, causing it to work with every famiclone.

You could be able to plug regular PS/2 PC AT keyboard or USB (with USB->PS2 adapter which can be bought for 1$ from china)

FAMICOM_87

cool! can you add and printer port too  :redcart:  :D
and may be second PS/2 port for the mouse   :-[