Famicom Model II + Four Score

Started by silenzxe, March 19, 2017, 05:52:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

silenzxe

Just a quick question. Had a quick search, couldn't find anything, so I figured I'd ask!

So, I picked up a proper Famicom Model II while I was in Japan. It all works, and with a cheapo Chinese-made adapter I can run my US games on it no problems. I've been thinking of picking up a Four Score so I can play four player games on it, I just wanna know if it'll actually be compatible with my console?

Thanks.

P

It should be compatible electrically speaking. The only possible problem I can think of is if the plug doesn't fit physically. The Four Score connects to both ports with one plug, so if the spacing between the ports is not the same as on NES it might not fit.

Also note that only Four Score compatible games can use controller 3 and 4 on it (games made only for Famicom multitaps won't work).

silenzxe

Well, that's pretty much all I needed to know.

Thanks a bunch!

theoakwoody

P

Have you tried it?
The Four Score is using the same pin as normal controllers, it just sends 8 extra button states for controller 3 and 4, so I don't see why it wouldn't work (as long as it fits).

That adapter on the other hand won't work for controller 3 and 4 because the expansion port doesn't have that pin. However that adapter can be used as a Famicom-style multitap for games that supports it (you don't need the four Score at all for that).

I think there's also another type of Famicom multitap that connects 4 controllers to the expansion port, but I have no idea how its protocol works, and I don't know what games are using it.