Game Classification Help Needed

Started by fcgamer, January 28, 2018, 07:29:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

Hi guys, I am looking for some thoughts / suggestions on the following matter.  I will take all thoughts into consideration, this is in regards to the upcoming Family Bits Famicom encyclopedia I am working on.

If we go to the following link, we can view a list of games that had never been officially released on the Famicom:

https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10650.0

Some of the games on the list *did* see release on the Famicom, albeit were tweaked.  Things like Power Blade / Power Blazer feel as if they are totally different games, others are (imo) more minor overhauls, just swapping out one franchise for another, due to licensing issues and what not (maybe something like Snoopy and Donald Duck would fall into this category).

Then there are other games such as Castelian / Kyoro Chan Land, which are omitted from this list, yet Ufouria / Hebereke are on it, etc.  Do you guys feel the changes from Castelian to Kyoro Chan Land are too small to count as a "new" game, compared to the changes from something like "Hebereke to Ufouria", or "Donald Duck to Snoopy", or would you consider them all to be in the same boat / situation?

Maybe to frame my question in a different manner, would you rather see the Castelian bootleg cartridge on Famicom appear under the "NES exclusives bootlegged to Famicom" section, or the "bootleg English versions of Japanese games" section (where the non-NES exclusive titles go, such as the bootleg English Adventure Island 2, bootleg English Flintstones, etc carts are being listed). 

Please offer thoughts / opinions.

I realize that in reality, for many people this might be splitting hairs, and likewise, there are a lot of people / collectors that couldn't care less about documenting such releases, but from where I sit, proper documentation is necessary, despite how little / unimportant.

Thanks!

Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

MWK

Quote from: fcgamer on January 28, 2018, 07:29:35 am
Some of the games on the list *did* see release on the Famicom, albeit were tweaked.  Things like Power Blade / Power Blazer feel as if they are totally different games, others are (imo) more minor overhauls, just swapping out one franchise for another, due to licensing issues and what not (maybe something like Snoopy and Donald Duck would fall into this category).

Then there are other games such as Castelian / Kyoro Chan Land, which are omitted from this list, yet Ufouria / Hebereke are on it, etc.  Do you guys feel the changes from Castelian to Kyoro Chan Land are too small to count as a "new" game, compared to the changes from something like "Hebereke to Ufouria", or "Donald Duck to Snoopy", or would you consider them all to be in the same boat / situation?

If you ask me then as far as the game mechanics are exactly the same I'd put them in the same basket.
Same goes for Power Blade vs Power Blazer kind of things, Dave, but like I said, it's just me.