FDSSTICK on twin famicom

Started by DrWho198, January 24, 2018, 12:12:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DrWho198

Hi,

I'm looking for more information on the FDSSTICK and writing disks with it.
I own a twin famicom (AN-500B) and was thinking of buying a FDSSTICK to go with it. As far as I understand it you have 2 options of using the stick with a twin famicom. A) through a ram adaptor, B) through the port on the bottom. I also know that FDS systems have 2 kinds of chips, one is write proteccted and the other one is not. But what I wish to know is if the twin famicom is write protected. And if so, how I can dissable it.
If I have that out of the way then I wonder what I would need to write FDS images to disk.

So far my main Questions. But while we are at it, I also wonder about the fact that it was reported that written disks can not be read by other drives. Was this confirmed? I find it strange to be honest because that woud mean that save games could not be read by other drives either.

I hope that someone can help me.

Frank_fjs

I use the fdsstick via a RAM adapter, much easier this way.

There's info on the main section of this site regarding circumventing write protection.

You can either use fds software to copy disks or do it through the fdsstick Windows software.

I have no issues writing and reading disks across multiple fds cconsoles. As long as your drives are configured properly you'll be fine. Most people don't configure drives properly which is where issues arise.

DrWho198

Thank you for the info.
And is there a way to check if your drive is correctly configured/aligned?

also, did you mean this page:
https://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/famicom-disk-system-fd3206-write-mod/

Frank_fjs

This page is also worth a look:

http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/fds-power-board-modifications/

If your drive has the 7201 chip you're good to go. If it has the 3206 chip then you'll need to mod it to overcome write protection.

Additionally, write protection was implemented on some versions of power boards. This is generally rather easier to mod.

Very hard to outline in text if a drive is aligned and adjusted properly. Basically you need the speed, spindle height and head adjustment to all be configured correctly. If not, a copied disc will tend to only work on the drive it was written on.

DrWho198

Thank you for all your help. But I just stumbled on this product and I wonder if there is a difference in compatibility when using the mod chip over the 74LS45 + 74LS76  combo.
http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_35&products_id=207

DrWho198

February 05, 2018, 05:45:44 pm #5 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:25:20 pm by DrWho198
Is there really no one who has ecperience with these mod chips?
Then maybe someone can tell me if they ever had a compatibility problem using the classic 74 series IC mod.
I already ordered some IC's. I didn't order the fdsstick yet, but if the old mod is not compatible then I'll order a mod chip aswell thus saving on shipping.

Post Merge: February 06, 2018, 03:25:20 pm

Well, I didn't want to wait any longer. I bought a ram adaptor, a fdsstick and the 2 ic's needed for the old mod. I have no idea when and if I need a cable and where to get it. I do not think it is needed to play games if I plug it into the ram adaptor, but I doubt I can write a disk that way.  Again... help appreciated.

To be honest, this combo is not enough covered in other posts. So if I get things working then I will write a faq or tutorial myself. Too many quedtions and too big a chance to spend money in things you fo not need.