Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2018, 12:18:29 PM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Technical & Repair Assistance (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  Famicom Pocketgames 150in1 (3.3V - 5V)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Famicom Pocketgames 150in1 (3.3V - 5V)  (Read 5888 times)
khchonh
Famiclone

« on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »

Hello!
What should I solder to improve the cartridge?
Resistor, transistor or what? What quantity? Where to solder?
On this cartridge 3.3 volts or 5 volts?

jpx72
Sharp C1

jpx72web.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »

I believe there are people who know more, but recently I was "repairing" such cart and I only have cut the trace between the two very small soldering spots just on the left of the place where the diode soldering pads are.

But on other cart a diode in that place worked allright.
Great Hierophant
Disk System

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:01:13 PM »

I wouldn't expect that cartridge to last very long in a real system, best use it on a clone.  There are no pads for a voltage regulator, no space for resistors and one diode is not going to be enough.

Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/
FAMICOM_87
AV Famicom
Bulgaria Bulgaria

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »

I have a similar one , really is there a way to step down 5V to 3.3V in this PCB layout  Upset Rolleyes
Great Hierophant
Disk System

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »

It looks like, at best, they are using a resistor to cut the voltage down.  I'm sure that is a wretched design.

Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/
krzy
Famicom

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »

I think that adding zener diode will cause more harm than feature - cause when powered by 5V, the memory won't clamp the voltage on input pins to 3.3V, not causing excessive current consumption (as opposed to powering from 3.3V).
So without zener you only risk destroying the cartridge sooner or later, while with zener - probably also the console.
FAMICOM_87
AV Famicom
Bulgaria Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »

I think that adding zener diode will cause more harm than feature - cause when powered by 5V, the memory won't clamp the voltage on input pins to 3.3V, not causing excessive current consumption (as opposed to powering from 3.3V).
So without zener you only risk destroying the cartridge sooner or later, while with zener - probably also the console.
So at least our consoles are save ?  Fire! Red FC Cart
What about your idea and project for an adapter with step down converters, is it finished yet Smiley ?  Huh Cheesy
krzy
Famicom

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 05:55:28 PM »

So at least our consoles are save ?
I don't have idea how those chips behave when 5V power supply is applied to them as well as 5V logic sygnal. It might depents on the manufacturer, this is not something that they are designed to, so i wouldn't assume that any of that is safe.

What about your idea and project for an adapter with step down converters, is it finished yet Smiley ?
Yea, I made a few pieces of the adapter and it works and it protects console, but I am not sure if somebody would be interested in buying it. Maybe if I would integrate game genie with it, there would be more people willing to buy it.
FAMICOM_87
AV Famicom
Bulgaria Bulgaria

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 11:11:26 AM »

very cool! Smiley it will be the saver for those china  Red FC Cart Fire! with great games and poor PCB designs  Crazy 
80sFREAK
Sharp C1

Hardware freak

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »

Ok... Here is my input on this case...

75...100 Ohm resistors on signal lines should work as current limiters to keep both cart and console safe. I have no idea about mapper(5V tolerant or not), so all signal lines.

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: