Difference between square button famicom and newer models

Started by Salduchi, November 14, 2017, 09:04:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Salduchi

November 17, 2017, 05:43:04 am #15 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:53:28 am by Salduchi
No but I'm about to get on eBay and buy it. I guess not many games use it

Post Merge: November 17, 2017, 06:53:28 am

I just ordered Solstice on eBay for $4 so I will test it as soon as it arrives.

P

Probably a lot more games use it but it's easy to not think about it.

Salduchi

November 20, 2017, 08:18:25 am #17 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:24:26 am by Salduchi
Solstice and Balloon Fight should be coming in the mail today. Are there any comparison videos on YouTube of the looped noise from an old Famicom compared to a new one?

Edit: I found a good comparison for Balloon Fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avNLbQVKHIc

P

I think that's the video where I discovered that Balloon Fight has looped noise usage. Other than that there's always Mesen as I've explained.

Salduchi

November 20, 2017, 10:58:31 am #19 Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:10:49 am by Salduchi
Got both games in the mail and as expected, my Famicom does not support the looped noise. I guess I have a Rev 05 or 06.

Now I am interested in learning about the bug that caused the recall and which games had problems with freezing.

P

Yes if you experience any strange problems with this Famicom just give a report on the forum and we might learn something. I think the freezing bugs was with earlier Famicoms than 05 though, you need to open it to know what version it is.

Salduchi

Will do. Do all Rev 07's suppport the looped noise? I doubt any 07 would have an original RP2A03.

P

Salduchi

Hey everyone, so I decided to open up my square button Famicom that I bought 'new' to check out the board and see the revision. I couldn't resist! Turns out it's Rev 06 (isn't that the more rare board?).

First thing I noticed was the amount of flux on the bottom of the board. My other 2 Famicom have no flux at all. And then I noticed a red dot on the ext port. Maybe it was marked for some reason? Last thing I noticed is the ribbon cable conecting the main board to the power board is clear instead of dark gray. And of course I found more evidence that it has been painted. I'll post pictures. Let me know what you think.

krzy

jpx72

I have gathered a couple of photos during the years of different revisions, maybe you'll find them interesting:
HVC-CPU-01
HVC-CPU-02
HVC-CPU-03
HVC-CPU-04
HVC-CPU-05
HVC-CPU-05 different
HVC-CPU-06
HVC-CPU-06 different (Salduchi)
HVC-CPU-07
HVC-CPU-08
HVC-CPU-GPM-02a
HVC-CPU-GPM-02b
HVC-CPU-GPM-02c
HVC-CPU-GPM-02d
HVC-CPU-GPM-02e
HVC-CPU-GPM-02f
HVC-CPU-GPM-02g
HVC-CPU-GPM-02h
HVC-CPU-GPM-02i
HVC-CPU-GPM-02j
HVC-CPU-GPM-02k....?

My rev.06 doesn't have the rubber thing underneath the PPU.
Flux residue - looks like somebody has reflowed the ext connector, probably had some cold joints.
EDIT: Hope you don't mind Salduchi, I have saved your pics to my album. As you can see, even between revisions, you can see differences - see Rev 05 and your Rev 06

80sFREAK

December 04, 2017, 05:33:18 am #27 Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:47:36 am by 80sFREAK
Well, IMO price was a bit high, even for cleaned and repainted unit. Even with partitial refund. The most interesting find here is PPU rev.B. I saw D, E, G, H(on the web, late AV Fami) and A(thanks to jpx72 album), but B.
@jpx72, ocasionally you can find lots of flux on pcb. My guess - 1) "factory fixed" unit, which doesn't passed QC after assembling; 2) (warranty)repairs back in the days(who would use rosin now? Except me LOL, but i always do cleaning after reflow/soldering).
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

P

Thanks for the pictures! PPU rev B is indeed interesting. So is the PPU heat sink that I've never seen before.