Virtual Boy Suddenly Has No Picture or Sound

Started by aitsu124, December 02, 2017, 03:01:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

aitsu124

New here, finally got a Virtual Boy today. When I powered it on, everything worked perfectly. Then, I attached it to one of those 3d printed tripod clamps I got off eBay, and ever since I've got no picture or sound. I'm using a Japanese adapter tap with a Super Famicom adapter, my console is US and I'm testing this with a Japanese VB Wario Land. The mirrors don't seem to be moving, as I can't hear them. Any ideas of what could be wrong?
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

NintendoKing

Fried the internal power regulator, go to PlanetVB.com. Someone there could likely help you get it fixed.

aitsu124

How would I have done that? The Japanese power supply + Japanese tap + any region console is supposed to work, from everything I've read.

NintendoKing

Could have honestly not been turned on it years and had dry caps, then the sudden electricity killed it. That same issue happened to my Sega Nomad which I hadn't used in 15 years.

aitsu124

I just bought it, it was tested, and I'm guessing that said testing had been recent otherwise he likely would've stated otherwise. Remember, it did boot up perfectly the first time I tried.

NintendoKing

I have seen this occur before with a VB, it's also possible the power leads on the controller burnt out. I also own 2 of the systems complete (and fully refurbished), with many many games.

aitsu124

December 03, 2017, 04:11:11 pm #6 Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:50:11 pm by aitsu124
Is there any way to find out which of the two problems it is? Can I still use batteries with it?  Do you know why did it occur?

Edit: my power supply reads the following (remember, I have a Japanese tap):

AC100V
50/60Hz
18VA
DC10V
860mA

I've been using it today on my FC, it works perfectly fine.

P

Virtual Boy seems to have the same specs as SFC so that's not a problem. AC adapter still works on your Famicom? Then it's probably something in the Virtual Boy that blew as Uninvited Grelmin says. Maybe old caps or something that wasn't used to too much exercise after all these years. They could take the initial test but no more. Electrolytic capacitors are one of the first things that fails in old electronics so unless you see something obvious, it's probably the first thing you want to have replaced. But yeah check with Planet VB if they know something more.

aitsu124

Turns out there was a three-month warranty on the thing, the seller will repair or replace it. Thanks for the assistance.

NintendoKing

That is excellent news, I am glad that you were able to find a solution.

L___E___T

December 06, 2017, 01:35:19 pm #10 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:40:23 pm by L___E___T

Brilliant to hear - I also have one non-working VB I'd love to get back up and running!  But I need a UK repair service really, that knows the VB very well.  

It used to belong to the owner of PlanetVB.com, and he couldn't fix it either, so it may be a lost cause.  Glad you were able to sort your VB situation! :)
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

aitsu124

Quote from: L___E___T on December 06, 2017, 01:35:19 pm

Brilliant to hear - I also have one non-working VB I'd love to get back up and running!  But I need a UK repair service really, that knows the VB very well. 

It used to belong to the owner of PlanetVB.com, and he couldn't fix it either, so it may be a lost cause.

In that case, your best bet would probably be to sell it for ~50 USD on eBay and use the profit to help pay for a new VB.

L___E___T

I'm very tempted to haha, though I think I'll give it one more go first.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

aitsu124

Alright guys, there's actually been another update. The seller received the VB and said that it works fine, providing images to prove it. He said that either the game wasn't inserted all the way, or the AC adapter tap wasn't attached properly. I swear I tried several cartridge positions, and checked the tap several times as well. I'll do more thorough testing when it gets back to me on Monday, but does anyone have any ideas of what might help me secure everything better, or anything else that could be going on? My only game right now is a Japanese copy of VB Wario Land.

L___E___T

I would be careful - you don't want to get it back again and find it still doesn't work... 

Virtual Boy games are region free like Gameboy games, so that won't make any difference.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。