Bootleg games you like?

Started by Bry89, December 04, 2017, 11:58:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bry89

December 04, 2017, 11:58:54 pm Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:43:42 am by Bry89
Okay... we all know that bootleg games are weird shit and all but there are some good ones, if any of you don't believe me. You can either like them if they're special to you in some way or, as a guilty pleasure. To start, I quite liked Kart Fighter for it being Super Mario Kart done as a fighting game even though it does suffer stiff controls and weird music playing going around. Anything from obscure Chinese developer Shenzhen Nanjing can qualify also :)

What's yours, and why?
https://mindsconnect.jcink.net
Tech-oriented forum. Gamers old and new are welcome.

L___E___T

I particularly like Super Mario Family '92
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

jpx72

I kinda always liked Magic jewerly, it's pretty addictive!

Triple Dash

Bought a translated NES copy of Pokemon Yellow from last year.

I was pretty addicted to it and spent a whole month writing down all the little changes/glitches that I noticed while playing. I gave up on completing the Pokedex, as sadly certain evolution stones are random drops only, while the Navel Rock exclusive Pokemon have stupidly low encounter rates and it wasn't worth the effort. I'd love to see further rom hacks improve upon it's foundation.

Bry89

Quote from: jpx72 on December 05, 2017, 06:35:18 am
Oh yeah, I liked that myself too and yes it is damn addictive :o I remember playing that almost non-stop on the 108-in-1 cart I had for the GBA (with all other NES games squished into it). I was quite good at it also though I actually cheated just so that I don't get a Game Over ;)

NintendoKing

Quote from: jpx72 on December 05, 2017, 06:35:18 am

Yes I agree with Magic Jewelry but also ASDER 20-in-1, Harry's Legend (I wish it had more levels), and Pao Ching Tien!

L___E___T

The FDS ports onto cart are also particularly nice.  Though I know not everyone considers them bootlegs.  Skipping that discussion entirely, I wanted to say they're quite popular to fans of bootlegs.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Retrospectives

Many of the fighting games that were released by Taiwanese companies back in the days were pretty solid. Other than that, I have to say Magic Jewelery and mostly Mahjong games that were released by Hacker International...Maybe not bootlegs per se, but rather Pirate Originals. I remember that I had/have a Hanafuda game by Hacker International which was kind of amusing if you like that type of hasard games (which I find rather nice).

Other than that, the S*GA Mark III had some pretty decent made Pirate Original ports made from Korea. Although "Super Boy" is a fairly funny franchise just by it's obscurity it isn't that funny, but Zemina released some sports titles that were OK.

Bry89

Quote from: L___E___T on December 05, 2017, 01:20:10 pmThe FDS ports onto cart are also particularly nice.  Though I know not everyone considers them bootlegs.  Skipping that discussion entirely, I wanted to say they're quite popular to fans of bootlegs.
I would think they are bootlegs in a way, as they were ported into another version without Nintendo's consent. That's just what I believe.

famifan

Tank 1990, perhaps 3rd the most widespread game in ex-USSR. (First is obliviously Super Mario Bros. and the second is Tengen Tetris)

surely it was based on Battle City. But it was improved in every aspect. It got better game balance, more upgrades, new levels and so on. And the best part is it's awesome 2p co-op game! Back in the days, even my parents spent hours on it. Simple and smooth controls are perfectly beginner friendly. The game is absolutely for all ages  :)

Tank 1990 was usually place on multi games carts. Often it came in a variety of revisions such as Tank 1990 A, Tank 1990 B, and up to K or even higher.

I prefer the particular revision in which:
1) one player could borrow an extra live from another player if the game is over for him/her.
2) friendly fire penalty is turned off completely. so your bullet goes through your partner completely ignoring him/her like the partner isn't on your bullet's way
3) enemies can't kill you with one shot. instead of that, every single hit just decreases the weapon upgrade of your tank. and you die only when you're reaching the basic version of the tank.
4) enemies could pickup the bonuses too. such as weapon upgrades, trenching shovel, grenade, etc.
5) enemies have a variety of armor and weapons too, just like you.
6) there're bonuses that allow you to get though water and to remove the trees

aitsu124

I've always loved Tonkachi Mario.
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

MrNorbert

Since I particularly grew up with bootleg games:

Somari, Hummer Team's Aladdin, Super Game's Lion King, Super Contra 7, Bao Qing Tian are probably my most favourite ones from the bunch.
And maybe Magic Jewelry and a few other RCM titles could go here and... Codemasters stuff if that counts as a bootleg / unlicensed games.

jpx72

If we count Codemasters, then Super Robin Hood as a part of Quatro Adventure must be mentioned!

Bry89

Quote from: famifan on December 06, 2017, 10:25:50 am
surely it was based on Battle City. But it was improved in every aspect. It got better game balance, more upgrades, new levels and so on.
I remember that game, though I believe I played it as Tank 1990 or by its original name. Even so, they're more or less the same :P

Also, I have quite a fondness to any of the games from Super Game, really for how cutesy the music and sounds are even though the run directly off from Konami's sound engine. One game that I did like from them was Pocket Monsters which was your run-off-the-mill platformer featuring everyone's favourite yellow rodent, with graphics ripped from Athena. Why I also like is the little trick where as you pause the game, you can move Pikachu to anywhere you want and actually skip levels from it too :P