Adding pins to a Famicom game pcb

Started by fcgamer, December 12, 2017, 03:10:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

To make a long story short, I've been in the cleaning mood lately.  Sometimes we just accumulate too many things, and I decided to start tidying up around the apartment.  This meant that I ultimately wound up tossing a few gaming items into the bin as well, stuff that I just couldn't be bothered to sit on for months on end, trying to sell and what not.  One of the things that ended up in that category was one of those plug n play machines, Famicom based.

I took the thing apart though, before tossing it, just to have a look.  To my surprise, I saw that there was what looked like a Famicom game cart PCB, directly plugged into what I would presume would be a modified NOAC Famiclone.  I removed the board, and saved it, I kept the board it connected to as well. 

For those that are following me, I am 99% certain that the thing I removed was essentially a Famicom cartridge PCB; the catch though, is that it doesn't have any pins, rather it only has these (please excuse my terminology, I am no expert on this stuff) "spiky" pins that connected direct to the FC clone.  That brings about my question:

1.  If I added a set of pins to a PCB like this, would that enable it to run on a real Famicom machine? 

and

2.  If #1 is true, how would I go about doing this?  Rip the pins off a junk cart and directly solder them to the other cart?  Something else? 

Sadly I am going to be away from all of this stuff for a bit, so I can't experiment with it at the moment, but if anyone can offer me some guidance, I'd love to fool around with it some next year, January.  Likewise, I always see (and pass up) so many of those stupid plug n play DDR mats, 8bit (NES) versions, they just take up too much space, work crappy if bought used, etc.  But assuming they are made the same way, if it would be possible to throw the data onto proper Famicom carts, I'd be buying them up in a heartbeat. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

krzy

Something that instead of pins?

Probably they wanted to save const and did it that way, instead of putting another socket.
If you do all soldering correctly, it will work. Just cut off the connector part of other cartridge

fcgamer

yes connectors like this.

So awesome for this news, I'll try it after the holidays :)
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com